• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Unpopular Opinions

i hate nutella ew

hoping someone isnt planning to come to my house and murder me rn lol oOPS

nobody in starbucks is actually an author. they're all just on facebook.
like, is that even an opinion or just a fact??

i feel like im the only gay person who thinks that gay is funny as hell as an insult.
like, i use it constantly and tbh it's freaking funny when people accidently say 'that's gay" around me and freeze up.
like, dude i don't care. say what you wanna say (and let the words fall out)
only pricks really care. like???

I use 'gay' as an insult. I don't really ever use it in the context of homosexuality though. It's just a fun word to say. I mean, I can't even take somebody seriously when they use it as an insult, especially since it's usually accompanied by laughter among friends.

With a lot of people it seems to be an insult like 'prick' or 'dip****' where it doesn't really have any genuine meaning to it, it's just a fun word to call somebody/something. I think the tone that's used when saying it and context is far more important than the insult itself, which is true for most words.

Besides, the same word used to refer to being happy. Words change. If gay people want me to stop using the word gay, they're also stopping me from saying I'm happy...And that's pretty gay.

Last edited:
Honestly I hate it when people say "it's just language" when saying potentially offensive words. Yeah, it's just language. But no need to push it into the faces of those who don't want to hear it.

'Gay' is pretty tame imo. It's the more polarizing language I'd rather not hear.

Besides, the same word used to refer to being happy. Words change. If gay people want me to stop using the word gay, they're also stopping me from saying I'm happy...And that's pretty gay.

Yes, words change. No one uses gay as a word for happy anymore, so...

And I think it IS rude to use gay as an insult, because you're basically saying that it's a bad thing to be gay. It's not acceptable to go around saying things like 'ughh that's sooo black!' or 'don't be so disabled!' so why gay? I know most people don't really mean anything by it, but I can understand why it can be an issue.

Banning the word 'gay' in any context though is ridiculous.

Last edited:

And I think it IS rude to use gay as an insult, because you're basically saying that it's a bad thing to be gay. It's not acceptable to go around saying things like 'ughh that's sooo black!' or 'don't be so disabled!' so why gay? I know most people don't really mean anything by it, but I can understand why it can be an issue.

I'm pretty sure Tao's point was that if it evolved from "happy" to a different sexual orientation, it can also evolve into an insult. You could then likewise argue that using gay as an adjective for someone is offensive or improper because it's calling them happy when they may not be. Just like there could have been overlap for the first change of use, there is overlap in the second change of use, but it is only mattering now because it's now being used as an insult but people think you're intentionally being derogatory towards gay people.

Yea, it pretty much doesn't mean happy anymore...But it's also never going to mean anything but strictly 'homophobic insult' if it keeps being viewed like that either. If everybody started viewing it as just 'a funny sounding meaningless insult', it would lose its association with homosexuality just as it did with 'happiness'. I mean, like I said, there's a large majority of people that do use it as an insult that don't necessarily mean it as a homosexual slur already, which is arguably a start to its meaning changing.

The 'black' and 'disabled' things aren't entirely the same I don't think. You can say "ugh, that's so black" when talking about rotten fruit, or angrily shout "stop being disabled" at an elevator that is out of order when you're in a hurry. They have multiple acceptable meanings that aren't necessarily directed at a certain group of people, whereas 'gay' seems to be something that some people only ever see as a direct insult towards a certain group of people, regardless of the context.

If it were the same thing then by the same logic, the sentence "the Walking Dead is gay" should be okay.

I'm pretty sure Tao's point was that if it evolved from "happy" to a different sexual orientation, it can also evolve into an insult. You could then likewise argue that using gay as an adjective for someone is offensive or improper because it's calling them happy when they may not be. Just like there could have been overlap for the first change of use, there is overlap in the second change of use, but it is only mattering now because it's now being used as an insult but people think you're intentionally being derogatory towards gay people.

Yea, pretty much this.

Honestly I hate it when people say "it's just language" when saying potentially offensive words. Yeah, it's just language. But no need to push it into the faces of those who don't want to hear it.

'Gay' is pretty tame imo. It's the more polarizing language I'd rather not hear.

Though I do use a lot of 'questionable language', I do watch my language quite a bit whilst I'm on this site to avoid issues since I know some people aren't cool with it. I've never used the word 'gay' as a negative adjective whilst I'm on here for example (outside of this thread at least) because I know it will cause unnecessary issues.

Last edited:

https://youtu.be/mUvdXxhLPa8?t=44s

This is the way I feel about language.

The problem is the list of "potentially offensive words" changes like constantly. Recently here I learned that "transsexual" is apparently offensive.

Last edited:
The majority of things posted in here aren't unpopular at all.

Back