• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

What DLC would you pay for?

Luca

Smug Octopus
Bells
Switch
8280-9839-4693
Ancient Candle
I know there's a lot of concern about the idea of paid DLC, and for the most part, I agree--I don't want to have to pay more money to get any items, participate fully in events, or unlock any features that feel like they should just be included in the base game.

But... there are possibilities for new features that would potentially feel like enough of an add-on to be worth paying more for somewhere down the line. Like the Welcome Amiibo update (which may not have been DLC, but might as well have been given that you have to buy amiibos to make use of most of the new features), I could see them releasing some big new add-ons to the game as DLC a year or two after launch, to help shake things up and tide us over to the next game. In-game purchases aren't necessarily a bad and scary thing, as long as they're not predatory microtransactions, or made up of content that feels like it should've been in the base game (cough SWSH DLC cough)

I like the idea of DLC that would let us have more than one island to develop. Perhaps the additional island(s) would be smaller and possess no shops/non-house buildings, or even no villagers, but it would be a great way to flesh out multiple different ideas for island aesthetics without having to divide up your main island.

What sort of add-on features do you think would be worth paying an additional cost for later down the road?

(inb4 please don't comment that you won't pay for any DLC no matter what, that's not the point of the thread)

I'd pay for DLC that opens up an island marketplace where people can go to buy and sell items using in-game bells. This is assuming it isn't a part of the game from the beginning.

A smaller second island adjacent to the main island where you can have additional villagers and some extra shops that give you a larger variety of items.

A smaller second island adjacent to the main island where you can have additional villagers and some extra shops that give you a larger variety of items.

Although I'd prefer if they had more than 10 villagers to begin with....I'd probably still pay for an extension to the island that let you house a few more villagers. (I think 5 or 6 more villagers would be nice)

I'd still want the second island to be connected to the main island though, maybe they could build a bridge between the two islands. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather it was an actual extension to the map rather than just something you go through a loading screen to get to.

I don't really expect them to do anything like this though.

I guess I might be willing to buy a dlc villager if I really liked them. Though the idea of there being something like 50 dlc villagers priced 99 cents each does make me uncomfortable.

I was tempted to take a fairly aggressive stance toward the subject, but your suggestions are much more within reason. I wouldn’t look too negatively on paying for bigger additions like you describe—especially if they’re infrequent and a year or two down the road. If the content is meaty enough that’s basically buying an expansion, and I’m here and open for it.

(If it seems like they just withheld features that should’ve been included all along, or make you pick and choose small additions (microtransaction-style) I’ll be upset though. I really don’t want the wealth-gap to make its way into the game, where some have obviously more than others. That’d have a negative impact on the community imo)

I don?t think we have to pay to participate fully in events. They were clear that it would be free updates in the direct.

I would however pay to unlock new NPCs. Definitely for a second island, maybe as someone said above a smaller island.

If there is DLC I'd buy it all most likely as long as it is not furniture packs. Not a fan of that.

Although I'd prefer if they had more than 10 villagers to begin with....I'd probably still pay for an extension to the island that let you house a few more villagers. (I think 5 or 6 more villagers would be nice)

I'd still want the second island to be connected to the main island though, maybe they could build a bridge between the two islands. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather it was an actual extension to the map rather than just something you go through a loading screen to get to.

I don't really expect them to do anything like this though.

I guess I might be willing to buy a dlc villager if I really liked them. Though the idea of there being something like 50 dlc villagers priced 99 cents each does make me uncomfortable.

Footage from the direct implies that villager houses will be listed in columns of five on the left side of the map. It also shows that human players will be included in that list, suggesting that the limit total will include both humans and villagers. This makes sense because, with 8 human players, having a full set of villagers plus 8 humans would make things quite disproportional when compared to someone who is playing on an island by themselves (some would have 18 houses, others would only have 11).

While the footage shows two columns of five (10 total), I find that unlikely, because then the max number of animal villagers you can have will be 9, and less for anyone sharing islands. I think we may start out with a beginning limit of 10 (2 animals and up to 8 humans), but that the number will be increased over time. Therefore, I highly suspect that they will allow us to have 15 total houses between animals and human players combined, meaning a max number of 14 villagers if you only have 1 human player, and less if you are sharing an island.

A connected island would be super cool, but I would imagine a "loading screen" style being more common, where you head over there, can customize it, etc, and have maybe 5-10 more villagers, and some special shops with different stuff.

Last edited:
The only way I would be ok with paying for some type of DLC in Animal Crossing was if it was something huge. Like unlocking the ability to purchase another island. Something big that would change up gameplay without making what we will already have seem incomplete without it.

A connected island would be super cool, but I would imagine a "loading screen" style being more common, where you head over there, can customize it, etc, and have maybe 5-10 more villagers, and some special shops with different stuff.

I wouldn't mind a loading screen as long as villagers from both islands can visit the other island. (and they all show up together during events and celebrations) I wouldn't want it to feel like it was just two separate towns that didn't interact with each other.

The only way I would be ok with paying for some type of DLC in Animal Crossing was if it was something huge. Like unlocking the ability to purchase another island. Something big that would change up gameplay without making what we will already have seem incomplete without it.

I feel like the best paid dlc they could do would be a large expansion that was basically what the base game offered but just MORE. New villagers, new objects, new shops, new events, new fish/fossils/bugs, new everything.

To be honest though I'm not sure how likely all this is....I can't imagine them coming out with an "Expansion Pass" for this game.

Last edited:
None. I rather buy merchandise than to encourage devs to split a game into pieces. But especially for this game I really don't need additional content to add something randpm I don't want.

The idea of purchasing a new island would be really neat and *probably* the only thing I would throw more money at nintendo for. But thats only if I finish my first island (which is unlikely to happen haha)

But considering that it's only one island per switch, this would let families with multiple players have their own land, which would be pretty cool.

A new island is the only thing that seems substantial enough for me to justify paying more. New villagers, NPCs, items just especially feel like something that should have been in the base game. Like Romaki said, it'd be encouraging the devs to split up a game.
I don't think I'd want a second island anyway, I'd spend my time continuing to build my current.

I don't like the idea of paid DLC, but if I had to choose I'd pay for my own in-game boat to explore the surrounding seas.

If diving were a complete feature with underwater graphics of marine life.

Any quality of life improvements.

and

Cloud backups
Save to SD card / multiple towns

Never furniture, and most likely not clothing unless it's something that I really want to wear.

I think the sweet spot for paid DLC is new features that come out a decent amount of time after a game's release that provide the opportunity for new gameplay, but don't feel like they're limiting or leaving out people who don't buy it.

I would not be happy with paid DLC furniture, clothing, or villagers. (New Leaf gets close with the amiibo exclusives, but since the only amiibo villagers that can't be obtained from another town are the franchise crossovers, and everything else can be obtained an unlimited number of times per amiibo and then distributed to people who don't have them, I'll give it a pass.) If there's items or villagers that can't be obtained without paying more money, it makes the game feel incomplete, even if it had plenty of items and villagers at launch. No one wants their creativity stifled by planning the perfect villager lineup or room theme, only to discover they need DLC to make it happen.

Similarly, DLC that just makes the base game easier, like unlocking ways to farm currency in huge quantities, sucks. People who buy DLC shouldn't have an advantage over people who don't.

A second island to develop is the kind of thing that would make for good DLC, because it doesn't affect what you can do in the base game, and it's not even something everyone who enjoys the game would want--it's just a fun option that opens new possibilities for those who want them. I'm trying to think of more features along those lines...

Maybe a feature that adds "missions" of some sort? There could be a pinch of story surrounding an NPC who needs you to do or get something for them, followed by flying out to deserted islands that are designed to be difficult to traverse to get to what you need, maybe with some minigames thrown in. Something that adds an optional new variety of gameplay.

I would be ok paying for any paid dlc cause Animal Crossing team deserves all the money for their hard work

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a loading screen as long as villagers from both islands can visit the other island. (and they all show up together during events and celebrations) I wouldn't want it to feel like it was just two separate towns that didn't interact with each other.

I feel like the best paid dlc they could do would be a large expansion that was basically what the base game offered but just MORE. New villagers, new objects, new shops, new events, new fish/fossils/bugs, new everything.

To be honest though I'm not sure how likely all this is....I can't imagine them coming out with an "Expansion Pass" for this game.

I would assume, until we hear otherwise, that DLC is extremely likely. Nintendo stated in their last financial report that they are going to work on making their games more playable in the long term through the use of DLC. I think it's a great idea. And, Animal Crossing needs this more than anything. We all want to be in love with our towns just as much in three years as we are on release date, but we know that's not going to happen unless they expand the game and continue development. And, of course, the only way to feasibly support that is to make a portion of ongoing development paid—so that they can justify the extra production. I'd much rather pay $100 over the course of two years for a bigger Animal Crossing game—who wouldn't? Anyway, I find it incredibly likely that they will have expansion-style DLC. They've been doing it with a lot of their mainline games and Animal Crossing would benefit from it the most, imo.

Just so long as there aren't any "consumable" DLC options, such as micro transactions, currencies, etc. I would be heartbroken if they did that. Anything else, I see it like the Mario Kart DLC tracks: give me more please, I'll gladly pay for it.

Footage from the direct implies that villager houses will be listed in columns of five on the left side of the map. It also shows that human players will be included in that list, suggesting that the limit total will include both humans and villagers. This makes sense because, with 8 human players, having a full set of villagers plus 8 humans would make things quite disproportional when compared to someone who is playing on an island by themselves (some would have 18 houses, others would only have 11).

While the footage shows two columns of five (10 total), I find that unlikely, because then the max number of animal villagers you can have will be 9, and less for anyone sharing islands. I think we may start out with a beginning limit of 10 (2 animals and up to 8 humans), but that the number will be increased over time. Therefore, I highly suspect that they will allow us to have 15 total houses between animals and human players combined, meaning a max number of 14 villagers if you only have 1 human player, and less if you are sharing an island.

Villagers and residents (created characters) have always been included in the same list though. It?s always been the case that you can create up to 4 other resident players in previous games but have the same amount of villagers. I think it?d be too difficult to do what you?re suggesting here. If the limit is 15 total villagers and residents and you?re already at that and wanted to make another resident player you?d be at the max limit? I think it?s more likely they?ll stick with the same mechanic as before. 10 (or more) villagers and however many residents we decide to create.

Back