• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

putting your life responsibilities aside for AC?

ekcomyth

Bells
i admit, i kinda have an unhealthy obsession with AC. For the past one week or maybe more I've been putting my life responsibilities aside just to complete my island. Im not sure the exact reason why i feel this urge to prioritise the completion of my island over anything else. i just kinda wanna complete my island ASAP. anyone in a similar boat?

I think I was like that when the game first came out - I literally played it for a straight month, racking up hundreds of hours. I haven't played much in the last month though so I guess that feeling fades. Don't put off your other responsibilities to play AC! Your island and villagers will always be there - there's no rush :)

I was in this exact boat when the game first came out. Chores will always be there for me to do, but I needed to check what new things were happening on my island every day! It kind of became a problem though because I got real far behind in doing things around the house, and it was almost overwhelming and the game was like an easy escape.. don't be like me. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with things and use the game as a place to hide and decorate nicely while your room/apartment/house becomes a dumpsterfire It's not worth it.. As time has gone on, however, I've been better able to balance my real life with game time - and I'm a lot happier overall. It's nice to play the game, but it's a lot nicer to close the game and have just as nice a place to relax and enjoy in real life.

I find myself getting really immersed in whatever I'm doing in the game, then I look up and I realize I've forgotten to something important. I've noticed housework definitely took a hit in the first few weeks I played (lol). It's been getting easier to manage now. Most days I spend an hour in the morning and evening and pop on for trading in-between when I can. Like any new game, you've got to set aside time to get back to real life, right?

What do you mean by life responsibilities? If you mean small household chores, eh, it's somewhat 'normal' when someone gets a new game and becomes immersed. Not eating, drinking, washing yourself, going to work/school in order to keep playing a game? That doesn't sound healthy to me. I have done that before with other games than ACNH, and almost always it correlated with times when I was in a bad place mentally.

I definitely feel this. The game came out while I was in school and luckily I pulled through and was able to graduate. But now the job hunt is hard due to covid and so I spend more time doing nothing on AC when I could and should be applying to more places.

If I could get away with shirking responsibilities to game more then I would.

kinda guilty, but i don't wanna complete my island ASAP i just want to avoid my life responsibilities and completely escape. i'm not going any further because i might end up saying something embarrassing and i have a reputation to uphold.

To be honest, since I only work part time (around 18 hours a week) right now, I'm actually perfectly fine with putting off AC for other responsibilities, as I will still have plenty of time to play it later. I know how you feel though, as I have had that feeling with some RPG's in the past like the witcher, or even minecraft, but new horizons just feels like a very chill game to me and I don't wanna rush anything. I still have half of my island to 'complete' so to speak, but i'm very happy with the pace that i've been going at so far and wouldn't really want to play anymore than I have been. If anything i'd rather work a few more hours and play less, which i'm sure is not a very popular opinion, because I feel that I enjoy my time much more with shorter bursts of gameplay, as opposed to prolonged 8 hour sessions and the like.

When the game first came out, I was playing more and putting things I needed to do aside. I did end up figuring out how to manage my time when I needed to, but once I could I would end up playing more and more games. I think I've got a better handle on things now than I did when the game first came out and I wanted to play all the time.

Nope! Love the game but there's often something or someone that needs my attention. Life on the island is great but it's there for me anytime whereas other things are more "you need to focus on this right now."

I play a bit in the morning and a bit at night currently. I was definitely to into it back in April though lol.

I definitely have from time to time, especially the first month or so of the game. Granted, my IRL responsibilities right now are relatively minor, but I find myself putting off basic chores and such longer than I usually would, especially given the amount of free time I have. Granted, part of that is also because I know I'm not having any company over for the foreseeable future.

I played all day two days ago but I always regret it when I do that. I have so many things to do everyday that I can't really spare 6+ hours for a video game, yet quarantine has made it easy to forgo ALL structure and routine. :( Currently trying to fix my sleeping schedule and I unfortunately have taken up a stubborn habit of playing before bedtime, which always leads to me getting distracted and playing far too late into the night. And then the next morning when it's time to wake at 6, I suffer for it horribly lol! I never learn my lesson though it seems.

I used to do this when I was in high school, with New Leaf. But it only made things worse. Especially staring at a screen all day. It's never a healthy thing to neglect your day-to-day responsibilities for a video game. It will feel really great while it's happening, but in the end it always leads to looking up and being shocked at how much time has passed without any progress in any corner of life that matters. Not just hours, in terms of time either -- days, weeks, months. And the dread that comes with that feeling is not worth the temporary pleasure of playing nonstop.

I wish I was still a little kid with no responsibilities or ambitions or bills to pay, so that I could just play all day. But all the wishing in the world won't make it happen. :( I think it's easier for going through spells of this to be forgiven right now in quarantine though. But it'll be super hard to break once we all have to resume "normal".

i was definitely like that when the game first came out which was fine since during its first 2 weeks, school wasn’t in session regularly or online so i didn’t have that to worry about. but once online learning started up, i neglected my schoolwork a lot because all i wanted to do was trade, design my island and house, collect stuff, etc. in all honesty, i think the only reason i didn’t fail any of my courses is because my teachers literally weren’t allowed to lower anybody’s grade, even if they weren’t completing assignments LMAO

I've been playing a lot these past few months because of COVID. I have forsaken my usual routine because its been pretty depressing being stuck inside for the past several months (I currently live with my parents and my mom has health issues so to protect her my family has been severely limiting our contact with others). BUT I am slowly trying to get out of that rut and trying to motivate myself to go back to being on a schedule, even if I am not leaving the house.

I can't say I never done this. I've been studying and working from home for the past 4 months, so this has made it easy to switch priorities and mess with my routine. I'm trying to get back on track but it's not easy, and I'm not proud lol

I've taken some breaks from time to time. But it really is a daily commitment. I'm a college student and during the year I have like no time for video games so I play them pretty intensely in the summer. Due to COVID, there isn't much to do so I have even more time than regularly. But I do feel this urge to make my island look like these 5 star ones I see online, but I also would feel weird playing that many hours in one sitting. Idk I've had animal crossing since wild world and I always like to take my time with my island.

Back