Petition for AC:NH game save backup

That's why I've decided not to get one. It isn't worth it.

Unfortunately all game company do that today, microsoft and sony stopped the concept of having the save on the cartridge/CD a long time ago. And it kind of worries me too because, even with save clouds, if some days they want to clear the server or else, we would lose every save data. I love to hear people telling about their save data from the gamecube era that they still can use and play. But I fear it is over.
But at least I think they should protect our save the best they can. I mean every game on the switch has cloud save protection, except 3 big AAA/Nintendo games (maybe others that I don't know of), it seems really really weird and not fine to me !

Hi everyone! Yesterday, the petition reached another goal with 2,500 signatures! Thank you all so much and please remember to let Nintendo know you want a backup for AC:NH in their social media <3

And it kind of worries me too because, even with save clouds, if some days they want to clear the server or else, we would lose every save data.
Pretty sure they use more than just one server for this and I think that even a server has it's own
backup, like if they want to clear a server, the data goes to another server. If they wouldn't give a
damn about the save data of their customers and would handle them sloppy, the whole cloud save
thing would be pointless. So I'm pretty sure Nintendo and other big companies doing their best to
protect the save data as best as possible.

As for this petition, I hope it gets lots of attention and that Nintendo will notice this. It's a nice idea
and I understand the fans here.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they use more than just one server for this and I think that even a server has it's own
backup, like if they want to clear a server, the data goes to another server. If they wouldn't give a
damn about the save data of their customers and would handle them sloppy, the whole cloud save
thing would be pointless. So I'm pretty sure Nintendo and other big companies doing their best to
protect the save data as best as possible.

As for this petition, I hope it gets lots of attention and that Nintendo will notice this. It's a nice idea
and I understand the fans here.

Oh yes you are right! I was more thinking about those games that people can't play anymore bc a company decided that it was over (too old or not enough players anymore). I guess AC is too big of a franchise for that to happen but I am wondering if they'll keep the data for 10-15years?
Thank you for the support :D

So if I spend a year on a town, and can't save to the cart, and I wouldn't use cloud reguardless, and the Switch packs it in, I've lost everything....

Why can't they make it save to the cart, or to an SD card at the very least!

I can no longer find anything good about the Switch that would make me risk that amount of money.

This sucks.

It's actually kind of funny but I wrote a looong message and hit the "Post Quick Reply" button... just to have the forum give me an error message and me loosing the entire message. :)

In any way, what I wanted to say is that this topic is a very interesting one and a very important one because our digital era is kind of bad. Most game developers and publishers don't care about the preservation of their games and save files, patches, DLC.... sadly, most games are treated as some product which stops being important the moment a new one comes out. It might be true for games like Call of Duty or FIFA, but it's not true for games like Animal Crossing and many-many other games with living worlds. I personally see all of my favorite games (Animal Crossing included) as this little portal that opens up a window to all of these amazing, playful worlds.

And what I want to say is that while digital era makes it difficult to preserve games, it doesn't really matter. Everything can happen in life and even the most secure protection won't save everything. Accidents can happen, a console can break out of nothing, a cartridge can be lost, Nintendo can turn off their servers and the patches, DLC and save files won't be able to be downloaded anymore - it's just how it is. I don't like this, but there's not much we can do because nothing is infinite.
But I can promise you one thing - the worlds that you care about and all of the adventures you have and will be having - they will never stop being a part of you. A save file can break, a game console can break but the moment you experience them, the moment you start building your feelings and emotions connected with those worlds... that's when they become a part of you. And when that happens, there is absolutely nothing that will ever take away these worlds from you.

Do not worry. (*^▽^)/

It's actually kind of funny but I wrote a looong message and hit the "Post Quick Reply" button... just to have the forum give me an error message and me loosing the entire message. :)

In any way, what I wanted to say is that this topic is a very interesting one and a very important one because our digital era is kind of bad. Most game developers and publishers don't care about the preservation of their games and save files, patches, DLC.... sadly, most games are treated as some product which stops being important the moment a new one comes out. It might be true for games like Call of Duty or FIFA, but it's not true for games like Animal Crossing and many-many other games with living worlds. I personally see all of my favorite games (Animal Crossing included) as this little portal that opens up a window to all of these amazing, playful worlds.

And what I want to say is that while digital era makes it difficult to preserve games, it doesn't really matter. Everything can happen in life and even the most secure protection won't save everything. Accidents can happen, a console can break out of nothing, a cartridge can be lost, Nintendo can turn off their servers and the patches, DLC and save files won't be able to be downloaded anymore - it's just how it is. I don't like this, but there's not much we can do because nothing is infinite.
But I can promise you one thing - the worlds that you care about and all of the adventures you have and will be having - they will never stop being a part of you. A save file can break, a game console can break but the moment you experience them, the moment you start building your feelings and emotions connected with those worlds... that's when they become a part of you. And when that happens, there is absolutely nothing that will ever take away these worlds from you.

Do not worry. (*^▽^)/

Beautifully said. :)

So if I spend a year on a town, and can't save to the cart, and I wouldn't use cloud reguardless, and the Switch packs it in, I've lost everything....

I can no longer find anything good about the Switch that would make me risk that amount of money.

This sucks.

That could be another solution as well! That they allow us to save the game on the micro sd, but so far, we're not able to do that with any game :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wow, beautiful words! <3

signed....while I don't stress about my town as other's do, I understand the desire. I would hate to lose something unintentionally without a backup. I also intend to purchase the digital version, so I really don't want to lose it to a Switch malfunction.

That could be another solution as well! That they allow us to save the game on the micro sd, but so far, we're not able to do that with any game :(

The problem with that is it doesn't stop people from restoring old saves.

This sucks.

Well if money vs. risk is your concern, maybe you would be a good candidate for the newly announced Switch Mini. It's portable only and only costs $200. Sure, you risk losing it if you take it somewhere, but you could always just leave it home if that's a concern... just a thought.

Well if money vs. risk is your concern, maybe you would be a good candidate for the newly announced Switch Mini. It's portable only and only costs $200. Sure, you risk losing it if you take it somewhere, but you could always just leave it home if that's a concern... just a thought.

Does that allow game saves on the game cart?

I would think losing any amount of money due to nintendo's complete and utter laziness would be a concern for everyone.

They could at least make games save to an SD card.

Thanks so much for your help and support! I'm also thinking of getting it digital :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's also true, but it's more to say that we're open to any backup option, not just cloud :(

At least let us save to the sd card if cloud saves are out of the question.

The fact that cloud saves aren’t supported in a game that is time consuming as animal crossing is questionable at least, I know that if I lost my towns save, I wouldn’t be starting over right away, I’d never play it until I was over the loss. (Dramatic, I know, but an example is that I almost lost my town of Skyloft that I had since NL was released, and if I didn’t have a save file backed up, I would have abandoned it...until the urge to play and start over came (and laugh at me all you want) but when Portia moved out of my town, I didn’t play for a month)

But until cloud saves are allowed or something is changed fo how saves work, I’m not buying this, I’d watch let’s plays

But until cloud saves are allowed or something is changed fo how saves work, I’m not buying this, I’d watch let’s plays

I think that's a little over the top tho...

yes its super annoying that we can't cloud save, but I want to enjoy this game and yeah something might happen but ill try my hardest to avoid damage to my switch.

At least let us save to the sd card if cloud saves are out of the question.

The fact that cloud saves aren?t supported in a game that is time consuming as animal crossing is questionable at least, I know that if I lost my towns save, I wouldn?t be starting over right away, I?d never play it until I was over the loss. (Dramatic, I know, but an example is that I almost lost my town of Skyloft that I had since NL was released, and if I didn?t have a save file backed up, I would have abandoned it...until the urge to play and start over came (and laugh at me all you want) but when Portia moved out of my town, I didn?t play for a month)

But until cloud saves are allowed or something is changed fo how saves work, I?m not buying this, I?d watch let?s plays

Oh I can understand, it is a franchise that lot of people invest emotions in, even saw some videos of guys/girls saying that it helped them with depression or other troubles. So if I lose my 1yr-2yrs island I might stop playing for a while too!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well the owner of the Discord group I'm in signed the petition. Hopefully she'll share it around.

You are so nice sharing it around, thank you :D :D

You rock!! Thanks a lot!

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's not dramatic, we were actually told that some people dropped the game altogether. It's a tough experience!

Back