• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Other uses for the NookPhone

lars708

Dutch PPCS Regional no. 1
Bells
Switch
3952-4112-1626
Pikachu Easter Egg
Timmy Christmas Doll
Jingle Christmas Doll
Lump of Coal
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Pumpkin Cupcake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Pumpkin Cupcake
So in the TreeHouse footage they showed off the interface for using NookPhone applications and there is a lot of empty space. I definitely think there are more apps in the game but just hidden for the purpose of E3.

My first thought would be a pattern sharing applet on the phone, assuming that patterns/designs return. We don't know anything about that yet but it'd be nice to share them that way through a digital platform instead of QR codes. Doing it that way also avoids the problem that the Switch lacks a camera to scan QR codes.

What do you think they could add to the phone? Or do you think that what's been shown is all we're gonna get?

EDIT:
Here's a picture of what I mean;
animal-crossing-new-horizons.original.jpg

EDIT 2:
It's actually been confirmed that designs are in the game through the NookPhone in an interview on IGN.
https://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?468047-There-are-2-random-villagers-that-have-chosen-to-take-the-Getaway-Package-with-you

Last edited:
I love games within games so I think an app that's just a mini game would be fun. (And likely since we got games in the acnl amiibo update.) I want animal crossing puzzle bobble.

Last edited:
An app showing which insects and fish we've caught.

It'd be cool to have like maybe a banking app or something! Obvs you can't put your bells into there (or maybe you could) but you could check your balance. Maybe too they'll bring back the shopping card so you don't have to literally take pockets nad pockets of bells to Gracie Grace or something! That'd be so great.

I think designs will be in there and I hope that amiibo function will too. Then I'd like lots of directories to keep track of villager info and collections etc. Banking sounds useful too.

i like the banking app idea! like the credit card from city folk but more convenient!

I'm very sure that there will be more, though I'm honestly not that thrilled about the phone itself.
It's not a major issue, but I think including tech like that does take away some of the game's charm (aka the simplicity of nature living): Standing on the beach of a remote, deserted Island and then pulling out a modern cellphone? Just slightly undermines the atmosphere in my opinion.

Does anyone feel the same?

I'm very sure that there will be more, though I'm honestly not that thrilled about the phone itself.
It's not a major issue, but I think including tech like that does take away some of the game's charm (aka the simplicity of nature living): Standing on the beach of a remote, deserted Island and then pulling out a modern cellphone? Just slightly undermines the atmosphere in my opinion.

It’s more akin to a satellite phone (updated for modern conveniences), since it’s part of nooks package and it’s not something you brought with you, so I’m not too bothered by it.

Oh I actually don't mind the NookPhone at all. Should best friend chatting return then at least it also makes sense. In New Leaf how exactly did we communicate? Telepathy? It's kind of dumb when you think about it. Now we have a NookPhone and it's honestly perfect.

Aside from that, I feel like its presence is just a natural evolution of the times. It seems super convenient to use in-game and that's what people are looking for in games nowadays. I personally think it's an improvement of what we had before.

Amiibo app
Pattern app
It might even have a catalogue app that you could order furniture from? Since I didn't see a catalogue anywhere as of yet.
Friends List/texting app
I like the idea of having the bug/fish encyclopedia in there
I don't know if there will be a banking app since there is an ABD in the game already
Maybe a journal app to keep a record of your day although I'd be more happy if this was a real journal you could have in your house that you could write in.
Reminder app that would go off when you have something scheduled in game like visiting an animal

These are all the features off the top of my head. I'm on my phone right now (coincidence? Lol) so it's hard to make it all cohesive and stuff. Sorry!

It'd be cool to have like maybe a banking app or something! Obvs you can't put your bells into there (or maybe you could) but you could check your balance. Maybe too they'll bring back the shopping card so you don't have to literally take pockets nad pockets of bells to Gracie Grace or something! That'd be so great.

I love this! Yes! Maybe even make it so that you can do transactions with your friends? Honestly I hated trading items for in game bells on the forums here because it was always such a drag to make payments especially with the ridiculous tbt rates.

Please let us pay digitally thanks

I don't hate the phone. But I see what you mean. I thought it was funny how in the trailer, all the human characters were overlooking the beach and one guy is just ignoring the beauty and glued to his phone XD. Kinda does interrupt the vibe of the game but realistically, we would all take our phones to camping, or vacations. So it doesn't feel incredibly out of place. I just hope they have phone cases to change the colour/design of the phone. It's a way to explain all the menus they have for the game now (that's one thing I'm sad about - having sooo many menus. That, for me, is the thing that takes the charm out of it the most).

Last edited:
Aside from that, I feel like its presence is just a natural evolution of the times. It seems super convenient to use in-game and that's what people are looking for in games nowadays. I personally think it's an improvement of what we had before.

I totally respect that opinion.
It's not what I personally was looking for, but can still see the logical benefits of using it as the game menu.

As far as the evolution of times goes, I think that's exactly why I'm not fond of it in the first place. haha
Stepping away from modern, tech-driven times and into nature is one of the main appeals of AC for me. Again, I doubt it'll ruin my enjoyment of the game though - I'd would've just preferred something else *shrug*

I don't hate the phone. But I see what you mean. I thought it was funny how in the trailer, all the human characters were overlooking the beach and one guy is just ignoring the beauty and glued to his phone XD. Kinda does interrupt the vibe of the game but realistically, we would all take our phones to camping, or vacations. So it doesn't feel incredibly out of place. I just hope they have phone cases to change the colour/design of the phone. It's a way to explain all the menus they have for the game now (that's one thing I'm sad about - having sooo many menus. That, for me, is the thing that takes the charm out of it the most).

Yes! I did appreciate the inclusion of that guy! There's always THAT guy, right? xD

Wherever I've been camping hasn't really had reception (or a way to charge my phone, for that matter), but I can see where you're coming from. I honestly think it wouldn't have bothered me as much if it were in a "regular" town, but since the setting is supposedly far-off from civilization it just stood out. Unlocking the phone later on (once the Island is at least slightly more developed) would've been nice - even though hard to implement since it is the menu after all.

Dream island through VR that connects to the nookphone...Something I just thought of which seems dumb but the concept was funny to me. kind of like visiting dream towns in new leaf but Luna has developed her business into Virtual Reality. The headset could even look like a nintendo labo VR. Of course this loses the charm the dream suite had but... yeah this is lame

I also really hope custom design sharing comes back considering they added a TON of new clothing types i.e. long dresses, sweaters, costumes, poofy dresses, etc AND villagers being able to wear them instead of becoming tank tops.

Dream island through VR that connects to the nookphone...Something I just thought of which seems dumb but the concept was funny to me. kind of like visiting dream towns in new leaf but Luna has developed her business into Virtual Reality. The headset could even look like a nintendo labo VR. Of course this loses the charm the dream suite had but... yeah this is lame

I also really hope custom design sharing comes back considering they added a TON of new clothing types i.e. long dresses, sweaters, costumes, poofy dresses, etc AND villagers being able to wear them instead of becoming tank tops.

Wow that's super creative though, visiting towns through your NookPhone in VR! I kinda love it but yes I don't know if I really want to lose the charm of Luna and the dream suite.

We need that credit card from city folk lmao. It was so convenient. We didn't have to carry piles of money because it was placed into the card. I was thinking that there might be an app where we can pay off the bills their adding in the game, unless they rather put a post office in. But I think paying the bills through the phone is more convenient and faster. Seriously though, we still need that credit card.

Oh I actually don't mind the NookPhone at all. Should best friend chatting return then at least it also makes sense. In New Leaf how exactly did we communicate? Telepathy? It's kind of dumb when you think about it. Now we have a NookPhone and it's honestly perfect.

I would LOVE best friend chatting returning.

I honestly don't think we're going to get anything that replaces a building, like a dreaming app - it wouldn't really make sense to me. Banking maybe, but the ATM we've already seen makes me skeptical, and maybe Amiibos, but if we get bonus items, probably not, unless you then get mail the next day. It's basically just an interface for the menu, so I imagine we'll get patterns, the encyclopedias, and maybe best friends, if they implement that again.

One thing I do want implemented that I think would fit would be a sort of online shopping/marketplace app, to allow us to trade items with other players through the game. You can see what all your friends are selling, look for specific items, and once you order something, it'll arrive by mail the next day.

Back