• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

"Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"?

Which do you say more often?

• Merry Christmas!

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • Happy Holidays!

Votes: 30 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eh, I think I say Happy Holidays more than Merry Christmas because I don't really want to offend/irritate anybody with saying Merry Christmas, since they may not celebrate Christmas. I say Merry Christmas to my family and some friends who I know celebrate it, and also to people who say Merry Christmas to me. :)

Last edited:
Not everyone celebrates Christmas so I usually say happy holidays.

I tend to say "Happy Holidays" unless I know what that person celebrates, in which case I'll greet them appropriately. I say Merry Christmas to my family, Happy Hanukkah to a Jewish friend of mine, etc. Or if you greet me a certain way then I'll greet you back in the same way.

If I know them personally, I say "Merry Christmas", otherwise I say "Happy Holidays" to everyone else. c:

I tend to say "Happy Holidays" unless I know what that person celebrates, in which case I'll greet them appropriately. I say Merry Christmas to my family, Happy Hanukkah to a Jewish friend of mine, etc. Or if you greet me a certain way then I'll greet you back in the same way.

This is usually what I do. I try to avoid saying Merry Christmas to my online friends because I know many aren't religious or are not Christian. I'd rather say Happy Holidays to them and feel like I've included whatever they may celebrate.

I've been engrained to say merry christmas, because I feel like happy holidays is super rare in the UK? I never hear it. But I'm trying to get out of that habit because obviously you shouldn't assume people celebrate it :)

I say Happy Holidays most of the time leading up to Christmas, but on actual Christmas I'll say Merry/Happy Christmas since it's actually the day of.

all of my friends except a few who dont celebrate any holiday at all celebrate christmas so i say merry christmas to my friends but i usually say happy holidays

Any of them. I don't really initiate greetings so normally I just say "You too" or just reply with whichever greeting they said.

I don't care what people are I say Merry Christmas no matter what.

I say Happy Holidays cus being forceful about Merry Christmas is like the edgiest thing possible during the Holidays and that's just sad.

I've been saying and hearing "Merry Christmas" all my life. It's only been this last couple of years that I've heard that we're suppose to say "Happy Holidays". Heck, I recently heard that a Christmas tree is now a Holiday tree. And after reading some of these posts, It seems that saying "Merry Christmas" is considered rude. I could care less if others want to say "Happy Holidays", but to me, it will always be Christmas. I'm sure that will eventually change too, because people who don't believe in Christ, ( but want to celebrate his special day) will make sure that the name will be changed as well.

I usually say merry christmas more but I do say both? I'm not christian but idk it's christmas so I just say that and I don't really know anyone else around where I live that celebrates other holidays :B

Neither. Though, to be offended by either, is quite ridiculous.

Back