• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Is tom nook a raccoon? 🤔

I think they probably made the change because we call them Raccoon Dogs in English, and it could be confusing to kids to see Tom Nook called a Raccoon Dog, just because they're not well known here. Tanuki? Even less so. Translating sakura to cherry blossoms and onigiri to riceball is just the correct thing to do, most people are not well versed in Japanese and the point of translation is to make it understandable for English-speaking audiences.

I think they probably made the change because we call them Raccoon Dogs in English, and it could be confusing to kids to see Tom Nook called a Raccoon Dog, just because they're not well known here. Tanuki? Even less so. Translating sakura to cherry blossoms and onigiri to riceball is just the correct thing to do, most people are not well versed in Japanese and the point of translation is to make it understandable for English-speaking audiences.
This. People are forgetting that the majority of players do not verse themselves in Japanese folklore. They’re called Raccoon Dogs. If you’re mad about the comparison, be mad about that.

It’s just localization. Animal crossing is targeted towards young children after all, and calling Tom nook a raccoon is far easier for kids to understand. In my opinion at least

See title and three pages of discussion. Maybe “mad” isn’t the right word. Maybe “disheveled”.
maybe, haha!
Post automatically merged:

It’s just localization. Animal crossing is targeted towards young children after all, and calling Tom nook a raccoon is far easier for kids to understand. In my opinion at least
i can agree! again, personally, i just think he looks nothing like a raccoon so making people believe that he is is just a bit strange imo! o:

maybe, haha!

i can agree! again, personally, i just think he looks nothing like a raccoon so making people believe that he is is just a bit strange imo! o:
Yea I can see that, he actually reminds me of the red raccoons I sometimes see around my house

The title definitely comes off as a bit mad (especially breaking down each part of the sentence with exclamation points...) as well as many of the people here claiming that this completely normal occurrence is why they "hate" localization. This thread screams NH rant and I think it's only natural to receive some negative backlash.

The title definitely comes off as a bit mad (especially breaking down each part of the sentence with exclamation points...) as well as many of the people here claiming that this completely normal occurrence is why they "hate" localization. This thread screams NH rant and I think it's only natural to receive some negative backlash.
that’s just how i type! i add a lot of emphasis. but i’m not mad, i’ve said i’m not mad multiple times and I myself have asked for little to no negativity, as it really doesn’t need it. I don’t understand why anybody would be genuinely mad over a pixelated character, LOL
Regardless of the fact of what it SEEMS, instead of implying, i have straight up put in my op that negativity isn’t really cool here. c: i get it’s the internet but other people’s comments i can’t really control

Yea I can see that, he actually reminds me of the red raccoons I sometimes see around my house
i’d love to see that, i absolutely love raccoons. I’ve never seen red ones in person!

that’s just how i type! i add a lot of emphasis. but i’m not mad, i’ve said i’m not mad multiple times and I myself have asked for little to no negativity, as it really doesn’t need it. I don’t understand why anybody would be genuinely mad over a pixelated character, LOL
Regardless of the fact of what it SEEMS, instead of implying, i have straight up put in my op that negativity isn’t really cool here. c: i get it’s the internet but other people’s comments i can’t really control

i’d love to see that, i absolutely love raccoons. I’ve never seen red ones in person!
I getcha, probably would be best to change the title or OP to clarify that because that's what people will see first as they enter. I apologize if anything I've said thus far as felt or was a bit rude.

I getcha, probably would be best to change the title or OP to clarify that because that's what people will see first as they enter. I apologize if anything I've said thus far as felt or was a bit rude.
no worries, me as well! thank you for the advice, i just might o:

Back