• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is throwing away Christmas, Birthday, "Get Well" Cards rude?

Leanne

Picture me in Wonderland~
Bells
Pear (Fruit)
Hiii ^^;

I realize this might sound like a weird question, but my mom is helping me clean up my room. We started today and we are probably going to continue doing it for the rest of the weekend.

Do you think throwing away cards people give is a rude thing to do? They are probably the thing I have the most of and they don't look good. To be honest, I don't really know where to put them, but having the thought of just throwing them away feels weird. I have some very old cards people have been giving me through the years but I don't even look at them. They are just there... Do you throw away these kind of things after a while or keep them?

If you keep them, how do you put them away so they don't look like a clutter mess in your room?

I know it's a weird question, but if you could help me with it, I'd really, really appreciate it. ^^

I dont think its rude but i also dont think you should throw them away.

I dont think you should because one day i may want to read through them again for memories and just to keep them incase i ever need something to maybe cheer me up.

And what i do is right now. I have them in my desk drawer since i never really use it. But one day when i move out i'll probably take a nice looking box and put them in there and maybe display it or put them in a little storage box for safe keeping.
It's your choice on what to do with them i hope this didn't sound rude ;;!

I throw most cards away unless I there's some sentimental value behind them. Kinda glad I didn't throw a card away actually, it was the last "Happy Birthday" card I'd ever receive from my dad's mom.

I will definitely be keeping the get well cards. And since I'm at it, might just as well keep them all. I just want my room to look clean for once v.v

Thanks for your input so far. ^^ I probably need a method to put together all paper-related items.

I only (sometimes) keep the ones that have some sort of extra message in them. The ones that people just sign aren't really worth keeping imo, unless you want to use them for Christmas decoration or something. The only reason I have most of the cards I do is because they get lost before I get a chance to throw them out.

Absolutely not. What are you supposed to do--hoard them forever? I only keep cards that had really deep meanings. Birthday/random cards get thrown away after a while.

It's not really rude, you can't keep everything especially if you have a lot.

But I find it hard myself to throw cards away so I just keep them locked in a box or something. Plus I like "collecting" them and reading them sometimes. :) Even those plain cards.

My friend gave me a thank you card for coming to his party
A week later I re-used that card for another of my friends birthday parties and the friend that gave me the thankyou card came as well and he didn't mind
So no

i keep mine in a folder. but i dont think its rude to throw em away. i mean after you read em whats the point. im pretty sure the people that get em for you forgot all about em anyway

It's not rude IMO. I like to keep some because of personal or memory reasons, but they should expect it really by sending you one. (I know I don't expect anyone to keep a card I send them, which is why I prefer to give them a present instead).

Oh and, if someone gave you chocolate for your birthday/Christmas ect. then you'd eat it of course. Rather than keeping it on a shelf or in a draw building dust. ;D

no what are you meant to do with them? keep them in a box???? like idk about you but if i kept every single card I got I'd need another room just to store cards....

but i do have a scrapbook and i put my fav cards in there, and i throw my other cards away, or i burn them if i hate the person who gave it to me

Eh.. I kinda throw them away after a while, I highly doubt they are gonna kill me for it. Sure it's sweet but you can't keep them 5ever :(

I throw 99% of them away. You can't be expected to keep every card you receive in your lifetime.

I throw most of mine away, unless they:
-Have sentimental value
-Have a pretty design on the front (If they don't have sentimental value I normally cut off the back part)

Sometimes I'll cut up cards to make them into cute gift tags :p

lol I throw them away =x not like you re telling them "hey I am throwing away the cards you gave me! is taking up space..." or people will come to you after years and say can I look at the card I gave you last time?

It is not rude to throw that away imo, in fact I did it a lot xD unless it is really memorable I would wan to keep it....for a little bit longer.

I usually throw out the ones that are just pre-printed messages cause there are probably hundreds of thousands of people who have 'em. The written ones I try to keep until I do a whole house clean.

Last edited:
I always feel bad about throwing cards away too, especially when the person has gone through the effort of wtitting something beautiful... But I exchange cards and letters with a LOT of people from all over the world, plus my family, so really I just can't keep all of them. I used to cover my wall in postcards, but I got tired of it and when I eventually took them all down I had to repaint my wall. It was such hard work...
Now I enjoy them once, keep them for a few days, re-read the ones I like best and throw them away...

You can't keep them all forever and I don't think the person really minds. I'm sure no one keeps my postcards and letters forever either.

omg dying <3 I did that once with a Christmas card from my ex-best friend. That mean @#*/? does not deserve to even write my name.

I didn't burn but I threw them in the bin at once when I got that from an ex-friend. Lol she was the biggest asshat ever.

Back