• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

How Do You Feel About DLC?

DarkOnyx

Bells
Spooky Popcorn
Stitches
Winter Mittens
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
How do you feel about downloadable content? You know, the stuff you have to buy to use, after you've already bought the game.

In my opinion, if someone pays for a game, they should get everything. They shouldn't have to buy anything to unlock something in that game.

If the DLC is worth the experience and comes at a decent price, I'm fully supportive.

I'm personally against purchasable downloadable content. I think that buying the game should be enough, and you shouldn't have to purchase anything else. I really love indie (independent) games because they are exactly that. There is nothing else to them, and somebody can just sit and enjoy the game without having to worry about any additional content you have to buy. It should just come with the game, I think.

It depends if the DLC was something which could have been in the game originally or not.

If it's something which was withheld from the game for the sole purpose of getting more money off of it as a DLC, then I'm against that. Games these days are expensive enough, so we should be allowed the full content of what was created at that time.

If it's something which was created later (after the game's release) to make it better or add to the story/post-game, and didn't originally start as something which would have been released with the game itself, then I'm alright with it. I might not buy it if it's too expensive (I'm still debating over the Fantasy Life DLC).

There were a lot of mysteries in Pokemon X/Y which could definitely benefit from DLC (the hidden legendaries in the code, the locked doors in the badlands, the creepy girl in Lumiose City, and just dealing more with AZ's story to name a few). There's a lot of potential for the game being expanded on post-release...and frankly, in that case, I'd rather see some DLC for X/Y over another remake or a Gen VII.

I'm personally against purchasable downloadable content. I think that buying the game should be enough, and you shouldn't have to purchase anything else. I really love indie (independent) games because they are exactly that. There is nothing else to them, and somebody can just sit and enjoy the game without having to worry about any additional content you have to buy. It should just come with the game, I think.

This.

To be honest, it all depends. If it's just aesthetic things that only adds like costumes it's stupid (especially if they are expensive for some Japanese games) or if they are a ton just because they can add (like this Dynasty Warriors game) I'm against it.

As long as it's reasonable priced and adds things (to an extent; too much is never good) it's alright and if they make content they didn't have before.. Sure at a reasonable price.

My standards for DLC being acceptable:

1. It does not take away content, diminish enjoyment, or provide an advantage to other players. For example, Destiny took away daily/weekly challenges during certain periods for those who did not own the DLC and prevented access to particular gear.
2. The DLC is a fair price.
3. It is something that is reasonably expected to be added later and could not have been released with the game when it first came out.

In my eyes DLC is 100% fine.
It's not like you're required to buy it so I don't find it harmful.

Reasons I would buy DLC :
It adds to the base game that was already good.
Adds cute cosmetic items (As long as they're like 99 cents each and I have the spare money.)
Adds new maps/functionality.
Adds pretty much anything. Adding is a good sign.

Reasons I wouldn't buy DLC :
It fixes bugs. (This shouldn't have to be paid for)
It is for a handheld console. (3DS/PS Vita/etc)
It's just not good and was clearly made to try and make money-- not improve content.

It's ok if it's fun extras and bonus stuff is included. It's not fun when the best part of a game is only in the DLC.

One thing was Fallout 3, loved it, but the needed Broken Steel DLC to keep playing after the main story really sucked.

Reasons I wouldn't buy DLC :
It fixes bugs. (This shouldn't have to be paid for)
It is for a handheld console. (3DS/PS Vita/etc)
It's just not good and was clearly made to try and make money-- not improve content.

Yeah.. if it's free and fixes bug like recent Pokemon games and such sure but yeah I wouldn't pay for that ._. And a lot of the handheld port dlc is unnecessary indeed; most just add items you can get still. The same with characters most of the time you don't need them anyways.

If it's there from the start, then no way. You should only have to pay once and be done with it.

If there's DLC released 2+ years later, after you've already done nearly everything in the game, and it adds way more content and breathes new life into the game, then definitely.

Also I am against when they release all DLC before the game. I think they did here with the first Theatrhytm game >>

It depends on the DLC.

Day 1 DLC and DLC pre-order content I can't stand in any form. If it's extra levels or characters, that's just disgraceful. If it's skins and other useless stuff, regardless of how useless it is, it was ready for day 1 so why isn't it in the finished product by default?
I understand it's to get people to buy the game on day 1 but it's just an awful way to ensure that. Bribe me with a free t-shirt or something (ala Splatoon) rather than taking part of the game I paid for hostage until I throw more money at you.

DLC that has been announced, planned or in development before release of the game I also cannot stand. It's like they're already planning on how to make more of your money before they've even sold you the game. I just cannot trust this sort of DLC. Even if the game is fine and finished without it, I always get the feeling they've cut out features and tacked it onto the DLC.

DLC that is necessary to the games plot, or something else that makes it feel like you have to buy it to get the full experience. This includes all of the above as well as DLC that's created afterwards but adds something you pretty much NEED to play to experience the full game.

Evolve. The first time anybody heard about that game at all was an advertisement to pre-order the season pass. Literally nothing about the game had been shown and we knew nothing about it at all, yet they were trying to sell the season pass. Trying to sell us DLC before we knew that the game actually even bloody existed!

Or Assassins Creed 4 was pretty bad. They reveled the first DLC pack was already finished and announced that it would launch day 1 because "it won't fit on the disc". That was a terrible excuse which is probably specific to the 360 and their small storage size on the discs. Why not just release it on 2 discs like GTAV?

Mass Effect 3. True, the game was a complete experience on release but they added that 'real ending' to the game later due to fans *****ing that they didn't like the original ending. To me, that's pretty much necessary if you liked the game. They took a finished product and somehow made it unfinished, until you buy the DLC.

If the game is finished and feels like a totally complete experience on day 1, add some DLC to it. I expect to see the DLC at least a few months later. If I'm seeing DLC released within the first month or two then I'm pretty sure it's cut content or rushed, two things I'm not paying for.

DLC should be the icing on the cake. Most developers are treating DLC as part of the cake itself.

I think an example of a successful DLC is something like Outlast, and the DLC goes above and beyond creating a new gameplay experience with an entirely different storyline and characters, as well as fixes bugs and listens to audience feedback. Whistleblower was a great example of DLC put to good use, and I'd rather pay an additional $10 for the experience rather than having it attempt to pass itself off as a full game worth $60. Some game "sequels" would honestly benefit from being a DLC chapter instead of an entirely new release, such as Super Mario Galaxy 2, in my opinion. Even Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs might've served better as DLC along the same lines as Justine.

I personally don't see anything wrong with DLC. It's an extra added option to add-on or enhance my gaming experience, plus...its optional. I often wish more games provided DLC for purchase, otherwise they end up just sitting in my collection.

Last edited:
I personally don't see anything wrong with DLC. It's an extra added option to add-on or enhance my gaming experience, plus...its optional. I often wish more games provided DLC for purchase, otherwise they end up just sitting in my collection.

I agree with this, i do think some day one DLC that affects the main story is a bit unfair but overall I like DLC.

DLC is pretty cool until you have to pay for it.
i don't know, something bugs me about buying a $50 game and having to pay more for an additional feature that i think should've been included in the first place. most DLC is just upgrades, items, and costumes.

If it's released at a much later date and has the amount of content you'd expect in an expansion then I'm happy to get it. I really dislike DLC that are released at the start with the game and are things that should have been added in the first place. I remember that Dungeon Defenders on Steam was ridiculous with the amount of DLC they were releasing what felt like every few days. Then it's just being greedy and trying to milk as much money from players as possible, which gives a very bad impression to me.

Back