• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Don't Stay in School

You learn those things in college. Some kids want nothing to do with politics.

People should learn it. We are the ones voting(or running) for our next political leaders. At this point it's essentially just aiming blindly. Except for voting Trump. He's... not suited for political ventures.

Well, the actual thread is all about how classes that are actually useful in our lives should be prioritized, as opposed to favoring the more arcane and pointless ones. The name of the video "Don't Stay in School" is purposefully provocative, so it can attract views. And boy did it received at least 3 millions of views as of now, therefore it's effective and powerful!

half the point of school is to teach u how to learn. school is not supposed to teach u everything u need to kno in life

1) Math, Science, English, and the core subjects are not pointless. Things like Music and Art are pointless. Why are you proposing that we get rid of like, every "hard" part of Math instead of removing the literally useless subjects? Are you bitter because you're an idiot?

2) Wtf are you trying to say? Do you want the documentaries to be replaced with courses on how to cook an egg? Instead of getting rid of subjects that are meant to actually teach us stuff, we should change subjects so they actually teach us stuff.

3) Idk about you, but I would rather learn science from someone who knows a lot about it at school for free than have to enrol in an extracurricular class or hope that the information on the Internet is accurate. And your response was basically "**** off you special snowflake" so I don't appreciate that

And what about poor kids who don't have the time or money to get a quality education away from school? Should they be forced to go to school and learn about how to pay their taxes for 8 hours a day, and never be able to pursue the (intellectual) subjects they actually care about?

4) So if we're not learning about anything in school, where the **** are we going to learn things?

Yeah, no. You basically have to go to university/college unless you can get a good job right away. Saying "it's all up to you uwu" is stupid because it's not GOOD for everyone to have a minimum wage job and leech off welfare for their whole lives.

5) yes let's replace them with tests on how to vacuum a house!!! and mow a lawn!!

6) I am learning for myself, and I would prefer that you didn't automatically label me as a mindless slave to ~*capitalism*~ because I don't agree with you. Thanks.

no. and don't patronize me to invalidate what I'm saying

Forgot to say this before, but teaching about politics in school is a TERRIBLE idea. There's no way it won't be biased.

- - - Post Merge - - -

maybe if you'd attended your fifth grade english class you'd be able to interpret what people mean instead of just the words they wrote

1) At their core, they are fine. In elementary and middle school, because that is the stuff you are going to use.

2) I would like to be taught things I will use in life. There is no way I am going to use advanced trigonometry or calculus in my career as a veterinarian.

3) We are arguing the same point here. We shouldn't have to inform ourselves.

4) It shouldn't have to be this way. If you want a degree in mathematics, or Shakespearean Literature, you should learn the more advanced concepts then. Not when you are going to be forcibly thrown into the real world with little to no knowledge of how it works.

5) Albeit not what I was arguing for, this made a funny mental image.

6) Good on you. You are taking charge in your education.

7) I don't patronize or disrespect people I debate with. The minute you do that is the minute you lose. And, respect should be given anyways.

8) You see, it wouldn't be all focused on one side of the political spectrum. As a libertarian, I agree with both sides of the political spectrum. They both have good and bad points. If we teach it in a way that presents the 2 as equals i.e a unit on both after learning the basics, we could have a more informed society.

half the point of school is to teach u how to learn. school is not supposed to teach u everything u need to kno in life

Lol, this basically. Otherwise graduating school would take awhile longer than necessary

1) At their core, they are fine. In elementary and middle school, because that is the stuff you are going to use.

2) I would like to be taught things I will use in life. There is no way I am going to use advanced trigonometry or calculus in my career as a veterinarian.

4) It shouldn't have to be this way. If you want a degree in mathematics, or Shakespearean Literature, you should learn the more advanced concepts then. Not when you are going to be forcibly thrown into the real world with little to no knowledge of how it works.

7) I don't patronize or disrespect people I debate with. The minute you do that is the minute you lose. And, respect should be given anyways.

8) You see, it wouldn't be all focused on one side of the political spectrum. As a libertarian, I agree with both sides of the political spectrum. They both have good and bad points. If we teach it in a way that presents the 2 as equals i.e a unit on both after learning the basics, we could have a more informed society.

are you one of those tumblr communists
Oh heavens no. Communism always ends bad because of human greed.

Last edited:
Finally a mod appears.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh heavens no. Communism always ends bad because of human greed.

what about the kids who go to college and become an engineer

Whether you believe it or not, school is actually very useful. It teaches you how to learn, study, meet a deadline, work in groups, work alone, be on time, communication skills, how to give presentations, etc. Believe it or not, it DOES help prepare you not only for college, but for the work environment.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I do agree on the point though that we should be able to choose classes in high school that will help us with our potential career choice. But what if there are people like me who didn't know what they wanted to do? Here I am, 22 years old and I just figured out what my passion and why I'm here. To be a nutritionist/dietician. Never in any of my high school years would I have guessed that I would have picked this career path.

Whether you believe it or not, school is actually very useful. It teaches you how to learn, study, meet a deadline, work in groups, work alone, be on time, communication skills, how to give presentations, etc. Believe it or not, it DOES help prepare you not only for college, but for the work environment.

Those are the good things about high school. Presentations and social part especially.

Finally a mod appears.

- - - Post Merge - - -

what about the kids who go to college and become an engineer

They can teach that stuff there. Its just a bunch of equations. how to do them all can fit on 1-2 sheets of paper

Last edited:
This video made me so angry. Yes if you're going to grow up to be a white rapper on youtube with terrible hair, math won't be useful. If you want to be a scientist or an engineer or a doctor it will be extremely important. So what, we should tell kids that instead of being innovators they should just be learning the basics of how to get by and work a minimum wage job their whole life? Way to dream big buddy.

And as far as learning how to do taxes, budget, support yourself, those are all lessons I was taught by my dad over time as they came up in my life. Let's not blame schools for things we should be blaming on incompetent parenting.

Those are the good things about high school. Presentations and social part especially.

They can teach that stuff there. Its just a bunch of equations. how to do them all can fit on 1-2 sheets of paper

If it's such a big bother, by the way, why don't you drop out of school and let us know how you do?

School teaches us a lot of fundamental skills for life but also teach us a lot of things that's aren't necessary. Coming from someone who has graduated from high school, has three years of community college, and is starting my third year of university, I can without a doubt say that most of what I learned in high school was very much so useless. Our school systems do need to change a bit and teach kids things that will actually matter after they leave the school system and are on their own.

Last edited:
Keep the discussion civil, please. If this continues to escalate or there's any more personal attacks the thread will be closed.

1. YOU NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT SUBJECTS

TO DECIDE WHAT JOB TO PERSUE

HOLY ****

2. how do you know what will be useful to everyone later in life

the stuff you learn in high school isn't that ~*advanced*~, but you learn enough to know if you like it or not

i'm not going to know that i want to be a vet because i learned how to say bunny in spanish when i was 9

3. 5. i have no idea what you're arguing for tbh

please elaborate instead of trying to act smart in your replies. i can tell you care more about proving me wrong than actually making a point

4. what?? so we should learn nothing for 14 years and then be forced to pay to learn intermediate math?? the ****?

6. i don't even

7. yes you are. it may not be intentional, but that's what happens when you go around *you're-ing people

8. THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

and if you can't see why you're probably trolling

- - - Post Merge - - -

then why the **** are you telling us to drop out

I'm not telling you to drop out. The title is just to bring attention to a subject i think is important.

as for the arguments here:

1). You don't need to be in school to have an interest in something. I like animals, and i am interested in biology, so I wanted to be a vet. All I am saying here is schools are terrible in what and how they teach after the 8th grade.

2). Are you going to really use everything you learn in school? I bet you a collectible I will never use the things I learned in English class outside of college in my life. Of my 4 years in high school, Essay writing is the only thing i learned from English. We are taught things that really don't apply to us. Our education system is underfunded and outdated. It needs a complete reform

3). I was saying we were both agreeing upon this same thing. And no. I really don't care whether or not I prove anyone wrong here. To be honest, we are all strangers here on an internet forum for a Nintendo game. Odds are none of us know each other in real life. So proving you wrong is the least of my priorities. I'm just debating the way i was taught to: with hard hitting facts and great points.

4). We should learn the basics of each subject(i.e essay writing and grammar in English, basic algebra in math, and biology in science). If you want to elaborate on the subject, college will expand upon it.

6). I was saying good for you, since you have taken charge in your education.

7). In a debate about education, grammar is important.

8). I know it won't because people are biased. It's just a solution I came up with.

I came to this site to make an account for AC, but I saw this, and definitely decided to make an account. This is absolutely ridiculous. We learn so many things in school that's useful. Unless you wanna make a living off of being a Crack whore, I suggest you stay in school.

I mean, you need math to to be a doctor or engineer, science to be a, well scientist, and even English is incredibly useful. But all I see on this topic are people who aspire to be crackhead with a side-***** lottery. But instead, we need to recognize what school does for us. I've seen too many people in my lifetime with wasted opportunities. They had a chance for something great, and they just let it slip by.

Back