• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • "Join us at 8 PM EDT for a special, for-fun (no spectator points) staff stream of ACNH hide-and-seek!"
    ~~ Streaming now on Twitch with chat in #secret-stream ~~

Why don't the most amazing dream islands attract you?

After visiting a few islands that look beautiful in screenshots, I found my biggest problem was getting lost or stuck cause the islands are so crowded. The way a lot of areas are terraformed with cliffs in front of lower areas, you can’t even see where you’re walking sometimes. And with items all over the ground, tiny snakey rivers, gaps and holes in the cliffs etc., it’s so hard to get around. I would see areas on the map I want to check out, and not even be able to get there. Or it would take me forever to navigate back to the plaza when I wanted to go home.
Honestly a lot of the super terraformed and decorated islands made me claustrophobic and it was a relief to get back to my more openly designed island.
I hope leaving out ladders and poles becomes more common in dreams cause that would make it slightly easier to get around.

As many others have said, the clusterheck and need to navigate turns me off. I go to islands to find inspiration for terraforming, and most of the time there are just too many things that make my head hurt. I'm also claustrophobic so I tend to yeet myself out of places with one-square pathways that take more than 5 seconds to walk through. In hindsight I keep comparing my island to theirs, and somehow I like how much more I can breathe in my island.

I remember seeing one island that looked stunning in pictures, but when I arrived at the island, holy heck there was a long one-square pathways that used CLIFFS as walls. My claustrophobia went haywire and I immediately left.

The more screenshots someone provides, the less likely it is that I'll visit their island. I guess I just assume that what they are showing are the parts of which they are the most proud and therefor the highlights of their island, so I basically don't need to visit because I've already seen it. That's also why I wouldn't visit islands I've already watched youtube tours of, no matter how much I admired them.
I love if someone just gives a theme or maybe minor pointers of what kind of atmosphere to expect (no images!), then I choose based on my mood what I feel like I want to explore.

I haven't tried the dream suite yet. Do I have to share my DA first before I can visit others' island?

You don't have to share your own DA, but you need a DA of an island you want to visit since there is no random-option.

I love the cluttered islands, but if I enter a dream that lags I instantly leave, haha. It's a shame tho, because the islands are so beautiful.

The hugely decorated islands seem to be better as just screenshots instead of islands you can run around and play the game on

they do look absolutely amazing though, it’s super impressive how creative people are with the different items and their uses

I cannot stand, and I cannot understand the islands where there are so many items that it makes it lag an insane amount. Sometimes I get genuinely worried that my game will crash. The first sign of lag, I am out, no thank you. I don't care how good it looks, if the frame rate drops then it is not worth it.

Like it just makes me wonder, how do they play everyday on their own island? Is the lag not as bad for them?
I almost feel it should be reportable, but only if it actually can cause the game to crash

Personally, I'm not a fan of forced perspective designs. They look amazing with the one camera angle, which happens to be the one I rarely (if ever) use while playing the game. However, I do respect people's ability to create these illusions.

They don't attract me because a lot of them aren't practical. Moving around them can be difficult and the lag can be too much. Just not enjoyable. I've only done the Dream Suite once. Until there's a random option I'm not too much into it.

Dream islands that look fantastic in screenshots are very tempting to visit. But do you have reasons not to visit them?

I saw on reddit this awesome maze island. It wasn't just a section of it that was a maze, the entire island's a maze! When I saw the map, I was all, wow I like puzzles and I can't wait to visit! Afterwards, I thought, but does that mean I have to work my way backwards, through the maze again, to return to the town plaza just to get back to my bed!?!

Navigation is the primary concern for me now. When I visit a beautifully crafted island, I get lost in taking screenshots, discovering items I've never seen, appreciating the clever placement of furniture and custom content. But when I'm ready to wake up, I find myself navigating a tedious, circuitous route back to the town plaza and it kind of kills my happy mood. Since dreams aren't real, I wish Nintendo would just let us wake up by shouting "LUNA! LET ME WAKE UP!" or something from wherever we are on a dream island. Or maybe she gives us a special gyroid that wakes us up when we set it down on the ground.

🤪

You don’t need to go all the way through it! Unless you’re in a building, just call Rescue Service and you won’t have to pay any miles to go back to the plaza ☺️

As many people have mentioned, it's the lag.

I play in tabletop mode so my performance is already below what the TV mode has. If you add super cluttered and over-the-top islands to that then you get a horrendous experience. Honestly I'm quite sad about this as I really looked forward to the Dream Suite, but now it feels like most islands I want to visit end up forcing me to quit my tour half-way through since it feels like walking in molasses.

Unfortunately I don't see this getting better with time. I feel it would require entirely new switch hardware to cut down on the performance issues.​

The moment the island lags as a result of the sheer amount of clutter is when I turn around and leave. Chances are that someone with that many things on their island has a billion screenshots of it anyway, I'd rather give those a quick scroll through than trying to navigate to the photogenic spots myself.

I do like going for pretty pictures on my own island (it was my entire reason for starting an island journal) but I really do hate being inconvenienced while I play, so I try to keep the purpose more important than the form. I am used to keeping my paths wide and in convenient directions, and it bugs me a lot when I can't run anywhere in a dream town without bumping into stuff every 5 steps...

I visited a couple of those "-core" islands and while they're indeed beautiful and I admire their creators for putting so much work and passion into it, my problem is - I can't stand those humongous fps drops. Heavily decorated islands with tons of furniture, dropped items and custom designs on every tile only look good on a screenshots. I have two zones on my own island where fps drops a little bit and it annoys me so much, I cannot imagine playing on an island where game lags everywhere. Plus the navigation. I love wide paths and open areas, but the screenshot-perfect islands mostly have narrow paths in areas tricky to navigate due to cliffs blocking the view or something like that. I mean, I don't mind any of this, but it's just not my cup of tea.

The lag! I get dizzy pretty easily so the lag makes me want to throw up 😣 My first 2 dreams were fine then bam the 3rd dream was so laggy (pretty but a lot of stuff) that it put me off dreaming for awhile.

Someone shared somewhere on the forums that you can go to this website for a "random" dream code for those who want to randomly visit islands. I go here because I like the randomness. you can even upload your own code too.

acdreamsharing.com

Someone shared somewhere on the forums that you can go to this website for a "random" dream code for those who want to randomly visit islands. I go here because I like the randomness. you can even upload your own code too.

acdreamsharing.com

I'm glad someone made this because I considered it too and now I don't have to! :D

The problem with sites like these for me is that it still only has codes for people who actively push their island out onto the internet because they want others to visit. Part of the magic in the random function of the dream suite was that you never knew what you were going to get, a horrifying mess of patterns made by a five year old or a random well-built town... (The first ones were a bit more common if I recall correctly but to me, that was part of the fun.)

Back