• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Why Did You Pick The 10 Islanders You Want?

With me, there isn't much choice since there aren't dozens of villagers to choose from. My town is called R'lyeh. I have the four octopus villagers of Octavian, Marina, Zucker and Cephalobot. The others will one day be Ribbot, Jeremiah, Lily, Diva, Puddles and Gigi. In prior games, Ribbot, Jeremiah, and Lily were villagers I had.

PS: I wish that, in the next Animal Crossing game or an update to the game, we could get enough new and/or returning villagers so that every species has at least one character for every personality type without resorting to amiibo.

I've decided on a different lineup within the last week. I will phase out the octopus villagers as they ask to leave because I think the frogs will be more in line with the concept of the Deep Ones. On my new roster, I will retain Jeremiah, Lily, Diva, Puddles and Gigi. Joining them will be Drift, Tad, Henry, Jambette, and Camofrog. I even have all it planned as to where their houses will be. The houses are where they are, I would just need to reposition them into their spots. I think it's a realistic goal seeing how there are 18 frogs in the game.

Speaking of Henry, he's my newest villager and found him in six NMT uses. He moved into town today.

I have only picked 9 villagers and am still debating on the 10th one, so I’ll just comment on those 9.

Mine are: Katt, Kiki, Lucky, Cherry, Stitches, Kyle, Dotty, Mathilda, and Roscoe. I chose them all mostly because they go with my gothic town theme, but there’s a few other contributing factors.

Katt - Uchi villagers are definitely my favorite, and I love her personality. I had her in my New Leaf town and loved her so much. She also has a darker style, and her house is very punk-style with garbage bags lol. Plus her face is super funny looking with her expressions.

Kiki- since kiki is a black cat, she really goes with my town theme, and her personality is very sweet. I had her in my original Gamecube town and have had her in every town since then for wild works, city folk, and new leaf.

Lucky- he also fits my town theme well, as a dark mummy, and his house exterior also goes with my town theme. I always love lazy villagers.

Cherry- she also goes with my town theme, her clothing style, colors, interior and exterior of her house, and uchi personalities are my favorite so I’ll definitely have more than one in my town.

Stitches- he is a little bit more colorful, but as a stitched-up bear toy he does go with the creepier theme of my town. And I like lazy villagers so a second one is great.

Kyle- he has a good style, interior house theme (just like Katt’s actually) and having a smug villager brings a good variety. I also like his fur colors, his eyelid colors (purple), and I like smug villagers.

Dotty- she’s actually the one I’m most iffy about because I never planned on having her at first. I like her colors, and she is the only peppy personality character that goes somewhat with my theme. I like the peppy characters but could never find one to fit in with my town (I was originally thinking tangy, but she’s pretty bright colored). Dotty was in my town originally and I’ve grown to like her, so I’m keeping her for now.

Mathilda- I love her colors, and the fact that she has her little black baby kangaroo in her pouch. I personally don’t like snooty villagers, but I want a variety of personalities in my town, and she is cool looking enough for me to have her as my snooty villager.

Roscoe - he is also darker-colored with red eyes and I want those to be the main colors of my villagers. I also love cranky villagers so I need at least one. I also like his house interior.
I had him in New Leaf originally and liked how he, Mathilda, and Kiki were similar colors.

My last one I’m considering is Kabuki. I had him in New Leaf and loved him so much. He has a creepier looking face and I love the cranky villagers, so more than one is always good. However, I’m going to keep my options open so I might try someone different first.

This is my second island, and while the theme is similar to the first, I tried to not get too many repeats. I wanted villagers that work with a Goth theme and in the process got obsessed with them looking harmonious next to each other on the map screen.

Piper: I ran into her on my second NMT, so she came home with me. At that point, I knew what island aesthetic I was going for, but I hadn't made up my mind about what villagers I wanted. Piper was on my radar as an option for a peppy, but I didn't expect to meet any potential permanent villagers that early on. Had I not run into her, I probably would have picked Ruby as my peppy, but I like Piper a lot and am definitely keeping her.

Agnes: It was between her, Muffy and Cherry. Since I had Cherry on my previous island and didn't want too many repeats, it was either her or Muffy. Muffy is cute, but I think that Agnes is just slightly cuter. I'm more of a pig-person than I am a sheep-person. Also her colour scheme is a little darker than Muffy's, which I really like.

Annalisa: She's my favourite and therefore my first repeat from my old island.

Antonio: I didn't have a jock on my previous island, and I kind of missed having all of the personality types. Antonio's neutral colours are nice and he's an anteater which is one of my favourite species, so it really wasn't a tough choice at all.

Hopper: That one was difficult. Initially I wanted Octavian, but I had already started to stare at the map screen a lot, wondering whether or not their icons fit together. Octavian would have really stood out given his vibrant red colouring. The most obvious choice would have been Roscoe, but I'm not too fond of horses. Hopper was my second favourite and the second most fitting, so I decided to give him a try, despite the yellow eyebrows.

Blaire: She showed up in my campsite one day and since I was waiting for several villagers to finally move out, I figured I'd just invite her. Even though I did not expect it, I absolutely fell in love with her.

Mathilda: Lots of black. Initially I almost overlooked her, but I'm glad I noticed her eventually. I could do without the purple accents, but other than that, I love her.

Chops: My second favourite villager and second repeat. His colouring actually ties that of Antonio and Hopper well together with the more monochromatic ones since they all three have different shades of yellow in their designs.

Olivia: The snooty I originally wanted before deciding on Blaire and Mathilda. I'm a cat-person and therefore needed a cat, Olivia is definitely one of my favourites. She was also someone who permanently lived on my old island.

Cole: Obvious choice, I guess. I wanted a bunny, so I chose him over Lucky (although I do miss Lucky).

Despite my old and new island having a similar aesthetic, the villagers on my old island were much more colourful. I love my current line-up, it feels absolutely perfect and every single one of my villagers is just so adorable 🖤

I change my villagers around a lot to match whatever I'm doing with my island. This is a thing I have been doing for quite a while, and although it's sometimes a pain I kinda enjoy doing it because I get to have villagers on my island that I haven't had before. I also get bored easily, so I don't think I could ever stick to the same 10 villagers. 😅

Here's who I have currently, from left to right- Shino, Erik, Joey, Cally, Sasha, Norma, Dizzy, Daisy, Mint, Melba.

128px-Shino's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Erik's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Joey's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Cally's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Sasha's_Poster_NH_Texture.png

128px-Norma's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Dizzy's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Daisy's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Mint's_Poster_NH_Texture.png
128px-Melba's_Poster_NH_Texture.png

i don't really have dreamies as in "i really want these 10 villagers and will go out of my way to find them and never let them go" however i do keep my villagers the same for the most part because i really like them, but the way I get them is usually by going NMT island hopping and seeing who I find and like. Lily has been on my island since just a few months after i started my island at launch and she will never move because i love her and i could never let her leave. I have loved her since I started playing new leaf in 2015, so I guess she's a dreamy in that sense.

My current villagers on my main island are: Lily, Opal, Henry, Sherb, Sasha, Tammy, Marshal, Genji, Audie and Purrl. The latest addition was Sasha who replaced short term resident Blaire after she asked to move out and I found Sasha after 10 NMTs on an island. When I go villager hunting these days I don't have any specific personality or villager in mind, I just look around and see if I find someone I like. That's how I have ended up with unexpected but beloved villagers throughout my island's life. If I were to count how many villagers I have had the number would probably be around 30 or so? I'm not sure but I like changing up some of my villagers every once in a while.

The villagers who are never ever leaving are Sherb and Lily. The rest I could let go of if I wanted a change but I'm really attached to a lot of them at the moment so it's not really on my to do list to get other villagers. The main reason why I choose villagers is if they're cute or I like their design to be honest but I have grown to like some that I didn't think I would want to keep, for example I had Colton and Savannah for months each even though I don't love the horse villagers. I used to need to have every villager personality type but at the moment I don't have a cranky and that's fine because I don't love most crankies. I used to have chief and I really liked him but then I switched him out for henry, hehe.

On My kidcore island I have chosen villagers based on how colorful they are and how much I find they fit my theme.

The majority of the villagers were from my New Leaf town so I invited most of them via amiibos. I had just grown used to them from the time of playing NL and wanted them back. There are a few like Punchy, Margie, and Flora that I kept instead of bringing back Walker and Tangy. Still Punchy is kind of annoying with how they ruined their personalities

These are my choices and these are why:
Lucky: He is a baby. He is my precious little doggo. I love that he looks like a mummy and his eye glows. His skin with his eye color reminds me of Kingdom hearts and how he looks like the heartless. I love that he has the lazy personality and has a sweet tooth like I do.
Drago: I love that he looks like a dragon and has the personality of a lazy person. His themes for his houses always look good in any game.
Muffy: She's a goth sheep. I just love her style and her personality type.
Coco: I love that she has a cute but creepy aesthetic. She's such a cute bunny looking gyroid and her personality is so darn cute.
Ione: She's a space themed squirrel. She's also blue. I love space, I love blue. It fits my aesthetic very well. She has such an awesome space themed and gaming themed house which is amazing. I also love the fact that her ears, tail, feet, and hands glow.
Shino: Her personality is very cute. I love her aesthetic and look a lot.
Genji: He's the best looking jock villager in my opinion. I love his theme and his look a lot.
Julian: I love that he's blue. I also love that he loves space. His houses in every single game I've played looks amazing. I also really love his personality.
Zelle: I love his personality. His house always looks stylish, like him.
Kabuki: I really love his aesthetic. His overall look for his character design is really unique and awesome. Every single game I've played, his house always looks cool in it. I love that he has the personality of a grumpy old man, it's really adorable.

A dreamie i need is nana =( But I feel bad kicking out villagers who have been with me forever like Raymond and Molly!

I didn't consciously set out for specific villagers (bar three). They just arrived.

Goose and Katt I'm never letting go, but I never wanted them. In fact I actively disliked both of them before they showed up on Vylbrand. Now they feel like a part of the island and I can't imagine it without their presence. Wolfgang sort of falls into that same category, except I knew I wanted a wolf. He was the first I came across.

I actively went looking for Raddle, Fuchsia, and Cyd. I'm a scientist in real life, so Raddle's aesthetic appealed to me. Fuchsia's the type of girl I'd chase if I encountered a human equivalent in the real world, and she also just seemed like a good fit for Katt. In my head there's something going on between the two of them. Cyd is just BFF material.

I'm not totally sure who my other four villagers are right now. I think Sylvana and Teddy are among them. Maybe Sherb, unless I let him go already. I'm not overly fussy on villagers if you cannot already tell!

I picked the 8 villagers I wanted because they all have different personalities, different overall colors, and I wanted all birds.
So I have:
Phoebe, sisterly, red
Twiggy, peppy, yellow
Midge, normal, pink
Robin, snooty, blue
Ace, jock, light blue
Admiral, cranky, green
Jacques, smug, navy
Cranston, lazy, white
(and forever a 4 star island lol)

i already posted in this thread back in january, but i figured i’d post again and provide further reasoning for my villager choices this time 😅. my villager lineup isn’t complete, nor do i have 10 dream villagers, but…

beau - despite being my #1 favourite for years back when i played new leaf, i wasn’t really planning on having him on my island. i still love him with all my heart and think he’s absolutely adorable, plus i still love and cherish all the memories i have with him, but i don’t know. i’m just not as obsessed with him as i used to be, so because of that, i decided to not have him this time around. that decision didn’t stick for long, though. i randomly ran into him while island hopping for sprinkle back in (i believe) may 2020, and i obviously couldn’t resist him. i still don’t love him as intensely as before, but i still adore him and don’t see myself letting him leave anytime soon. i’m so happy i ran into him. <3

audie - the first time i saw her, she quickly took beau’s place as my #1 favourite. i adore how vibrant her design is and the meaning behind her name, and i just think she’s a total sweetheart. when new horizons first came out, she was the only villager i was desperate for, but i was determined to get her myself (along with my other dreamies). i thankfully didn’t have to wait long for her. i loaded up my game around 6am one day after having a rough night, and she was waiting for me in my campsite. i literally stared at her in shock for, like, 10 minutes LOL. she’s been on my island ever since and i just… i love her so much.

margie - i’m ashamed of myself for overlooking her for so long, but i fell in love with her the moment i saw her in the first new horizons direct. she looked so pretty, and i immediately knew that i wanted her on my island. i’ve had her since 2020, and she’s become one of my top 10 favourite villagers since then. everything about her is awesome, and i highly recommend her! she’s way too underrated for someone who deserves all the love in the world.

sprinkle & fauna - two of my absolute favourites from new leaf! i’m still undecided on whether or not i’ll be keeping fauna permanently, but for right now i will be! they’re both such sweet villagers, and i love their designs so much. they’re precious!

whitney - i was actually planning on having diana as my permanent snooty villager, but i couldn’t resist whitney. i ran into her while island hopping one day and immediately invited her, and i knew i’d be keeping her within a few weeks. her beauty is honestly ethereal, man. she’s so gorgeous, and i love her and her vibes so much. truly one of the most beautiful characters in the entire series imo.

agnes - agnes is a villager i’ve wanted to have on my island since the beginning, but i wasn’t really planning on her being permanent. however, i was spending time with my cat who has since passed away when i finally ran into her and because of that, i don’t see myself being able to let her go anytime soon. the day i found her was the second last good day my cat had before she passed and i just… can’t let go of agnes or the memories i associate her with now, so she’s become a permanent resident of axolotl.

i also currently have tiansheng, lucky and cyd on my island, but i don’t see myself keeping them permanently. i invited tiansheng and cyd via amiibo because i want to meet, get to know and obtain the posters and photos of all the new villagers (before 2.0 and after), and i invited lucky because he’s absolutely adorable and i love him + his design a lot. :’)

With my first 10 "dreamies" villagers, I picked them because they were cute and had natural color schemes. So Fauna and Fang for example. I wasn't into the bright color villagers until later. Then I wanted an island that was all wolves. I make a lot of changes to stay interested.

Antonio - I wanted every personality when choosing villagers, and I settled on who I felt was the cutest jock villager and that happened to be Antonio.
Carmen - She's so cute and reminds me of myself in a way. I love her little gap-tooth smile.
Dobie - I wanted an old man on my island and Dobie, the cranky wolf, was my choice. He's old, cranky, but the sweetest old man at the same time.
Felicity - She's the reason I have two peppy villagers on my island. I love how it looks like she has red hair and everything about her is so cute.
Kidd - He's one of the cuter smug villagers. He's the reason I have two smug villagers on my island.
Lolly - I had her in New Leaf and never wanted to let her go, so I didn't.
Portia - No reason. She might move out soon.
Punchy - I love cat villagers. He's the cutest lazy villager to me.
Raymond - The moment I saw his different colored eyes, his glasses, and his "business cat" style, he was mine, and I spent a lot of time looking for him. He's never leaving. EVER.
Ursala - I just love the way that she looks. She's one of my favorite sisterly villagers.

Back