• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Who's your favorite dragon?šŸ‰

LadyDestani

šŸŒ·Happy Little LeifšŸŒ·
Staff
Bells
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Purple Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
White Tulip
White Tulip
White Rose
White Tulip
Red Tulip
Who here loves dragons? I know I do. In keeping with the theme of Year of the Dragon, I'd like to ask who is your favorite dragon? It could be any dragon from pop culture or regional lore. It could even be a real life dragon (sea dragon, komodo dragon).

My first favorite dragon was from one of my favorite childhood movies, The Neverending Story. Looking more like a fluffy dog than a dragon, Falkor was my dream companion.
1707536066976.png

My favorite fantasy series is Tolkien's Hobbit/Lord of the Rings and in the Hobbit I was introduced to the fearsome and iconic dragon, Smaug.
smaug_par_david_demaret.jpg

However, my current favorite dragon is probably not as well known. Khisanth from the Dragonlance series is a gorgeous, black, acid-spitting dragon with the ability to shapeshift into a human woman. She is given such character depth and emotional motivation for her actions that I fell in love with her instantly and have never forgotten her even though it's been decades since I read the books.
1707537055415.png

My favourite dragon has to be Elliott from Peteā€™s Dragon (1977)! Itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve watched it, but it was one of my favourite comfort movies growing up. A movie featuring both live-action and animation was so cool to me when I was a kid, and the relationship between Elliott and Pete was so sweet. The idea of troubled and/or in need children having a docile giant of a dragon protecting them and watching out for them until things get better and they donā€™t need him anymore is so heartbreakingly heartwarming. I definitely need to rewatch it this Lunar New Year. šŸ’š

IMG_5708.jpeg

Those apples looked and sounded DELECTABLE to me when I was a kid LOL

My other favourite dragons are Maleficentā€™s dragon form in Sleeping Beauty, and Spike from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The scene where Maleficent transforms into a dragon was so scary to me when I was a kid between how dark the scenery was, the music that was playing and that final shot of a splattered Maleficent on the ground with the sword, but itā€™s much cooler to me now that Iā€™m an adult! Maleficentā€™s dragon form was admittedly beautiful as well, in spite of how evil she was, haha.

Iā€™m not into MLP: FIM anymore, but Spike was my favourite character when I was! He was such a sweet, funny little dude, and the relationship between him and Twilight Sparkle was so precious! The episode where his biggest fear was Twilight not wanting him anymore and sending him away was so... ouch. šŸ„¹

IMG_5710.jpeg
IMG_5709.png

oh my gosh, i have two in mind! i can't find a decent pic of one, but there's this cute little animated series just called dragon family on tiktok. the dad from that.
AND a throwback for me personally, the gronckle from how to train your dragon!!

image_2024-02-10_005258710.png

IMG_1976.png
How about we go with the Dragon that started my gaming career? Iā€™m talking about Spyro the Dragon of course.

He as a whole has been my whole childhood, if it wasnā€™t for him I wouldnā€™t have even liked Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc. Perhaps not even consider registering on the forums.

I played the Classic, Legends, Skylanders and the Reignited games and they were all great. (I havenā€™t played much of the Legends series however)
Right. now is Spyro fans are getting tired of not getting a new game since 2018, itā€™s always Crash getting the center of attentionā€¦ Thankfully the Year of the Dragon could possibly give us hope of a game being announced soon, but what has been going on with Toys For Bob recently, itā€™s looking dim now.

Iā€™m going with one of my few favorite PokĆ©mon, Hydreigon. I donā€™t play the games anymore, but I do have a few PokĆ©mon that I happen to really like.

IMG_4580.png

I like Drago from AC. I even have him on my NH island. I like Haku from Spirited Away (I watched the movie again last night). I've never been into MLP, but I do think Spike is super cute. I also like a few dragon type Pokemon, like Dragonair. I was born in the year of the dragon, so I think dragons are pretty neat!

Lots of them!

1. Spyro
I loved the whole Spyro trilogy. It was literally my childhood. Some of my peers thought it was lame but I spend so many hours to play it. I even played it again around 10 or so years later when I was then living with my mother. The PS1 was in excellent condition, the memory card still worked and I played all 3 original game again. I have the Reignited Trilogy on the Switch but alas it is not the same. The PS1 trilogy just hits different.
spyro-the-dragon-1-button-1643354479684.jpg

2. Shenron
As I child, I grew up watching both the Dragonball and Dragonball Z animes. The plots were simple and all that but when Shenron appeared it usually meant something epic was going to happen. Shenron has had many forms. The worst are the GT humanoid Shenrons and my most fav is the Super Shenron from the DBSuper anime.
Sdsdcxcxc (1).jpg

3. Ultra Necrozma and Mega Rayquaza

Most here know I am a Pokemon fan. Ultra Necrozma is one of my top 10 favourite mons. The design is just epic and Light That Burns The Sky has one of the most epic animations in the Pokemon franchise. Sad that its stuck in Gen7 but it'll always have a place in my heart.

Mega Rayquaza is my current Pfp. Its absolute brokeness goes with its epic design. I never thought too much about regular Rayquaza, just that it was a sky snek that reminded me of Shenron. However, its Mega changed that. Its design is cooler than regular Shenron.

necrozma-ultra.jpg

4. Smaug

Tolkien does no wrong here. Iconic gold hoarding dragon. I read The Hobbit as a child amd still have the book. Need to reread it.
SmaugtheTerrible.jpg

5. Drago!

I can never forget my boy! I had him in NL for my mythical town. I also had him on my last island before it went into limbo when I got a new Switch. He's definitely going on my second island but only a matter of when.
NH-Drago_poster.png

How can anyone not like this vicious-yet-lovable purple dragon?
Actually, I can think of a few characters

Spyro the Dragon.jpg

"Hey, stop staring! Haven't you guys seen a dragon before?" - Spyro
"You're a dragon?!" - Hunter
"You've got a problem with that, pussycat?" - Spyro

"A dragon?! You brought a dragon to Avalar?! I hate dragons!!!" - Ripto

I also find it cool that he's mostly voiced by the same guy that does SpongeBob, Tom Kenny. In the first game, he was instead voiced by Carlos Alazraqui, known for voicing characters such as Rocko in Rocko's Modern Life and Denzel Crocker in The Fairly OddParents. Kenny also had a major role in Rocko's Modern Life, voicing Heffer. Despite the Spyro franchise not having any other connections to Nickelodeon other than the voice actors, it's no wonder that I'm a big fan of the era in general.

I like Dragonlord from Dragon Quest 1. šŸ²šŸ‘‘ He speaks in Shakespearean English (i love that old english talk) and something about his design here makes him look fiendish and cunning, yet somewhat playful and amicable. šŸ˜ˆšŸ„ŗ I feel as though I can relate to him in a sense... Oh and on bad hair days, my hair kinda looks like his head/hat thing. šŸ˜‚
1707583212737.png

if dinosaurs count, tokage!
1707584083670.png

but in terms of actual dragons most of which are not completely just dragons im sorry
  1. Edna's brother (Tales of Zestiria) iykyk best way for me to write it without spoiling lmao
    although innominat also if he counts as a dragon
  2. Haku (Spirited Away) - my og cute dragon boy
  3. Cupid, Maritimus, Daikokuten, and Siren from Dragalia Lost - i feel like using dragalia lost is sort of a cop out because half the dragon designs arent actual dragons but anyways. theyre adorable... my children...
    1707584725410.png

4. The Dragon in the Temple of Earth (Tales of Symphonia) - child me spent so much time farming this dragon it deserves to be on this list. the mvp!!
  5. Draco Centauros (Puyo) cause cute dragon girl and puyo
im sure i'm forgetting some obvious choices but those are all i can remember off the top of my head

but as an honourable mention:
in defense mode
1707583964266.png
jk toon dragon is better

I love dragons! My favorite dragon is Toothless from HTTYD. Just look at him!
IMG_7658.jpeg

Honorable mentions: Drago from AC, Spike from MLP:FIM, and bearded dragons! (the lizard, theyā€™re so interesting)

7bf17515141629.5628d77095959.jpg

My favorite dragon is H.R. Pufnstuf(the big yellow guy in the middle).I watched this show when I was a kid and always thought he was a big frog who walked on two legs only to find out that he was actually a friendly dragon.I like those boots.

Pretty much all of the dragons in How to train your dragon. I never saw the sequel or any of the films after, but I don't think they'd be as good as the first was. Come to think of it, I might watch it again soon.

Does Puff the Magic Dragon count? Also I like Spyro, Haku from Spirited Away, aaaand that dragon from BOTW that you had to hit with an arrow to get his scales.

As a young child I was OBSESSED with The Hobbit, and Iā€™ve also always loved animals with long or pointy noses, so this illustration of Smaug is my favorite:

IMG_0517.jpeg

My parents gifted me a copy of the illustrated edition of The Hobbit, with pictures by Alan Lee, when I was 6. I read it dozens of times over, sometimes even finishing the book and starting it again in the same sitting. So this is also the Smaug I remember from childhood!

My favorite Dragon-type Pokemon is Flygon for sure.

IMG_0516.jpeg

Back