• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

What Town Ordinance should I go with?

iamjohnporter67

Bells
Okay so I've played New Leaf for like 3 days now and I just gotten to 100% approval for the ID to do stuff as Mayor but now I have to think about what Town Ordinance to go with. I've done my research and I have a clear idea what they do but I am not sure what works for me. I am someone who plays the game daily, but I can only play for a few hours and then when I'm done with everything I just call it a day and then play the next day. Also I find it hard to make bells just to pay for Public Works Projects and my home loan for Tom Nook so it can be time consuming. I'm trying to figure out which one works for me but I'm undecided:
  • Beautiful Town - Town maintenance is made easier, preventing or reducing the effects of not playing daily.
  • Early Bird - Villagers wake up earlier and shops are open earlier.
  • Night Owl - Villagers go to sleep later and shops stay open later.
  • Wealthy Town - Items can be sold at higher prices, but also cost more.

In my opinion, I always use the Beautiful Town Ordinance. I don’t play the game super often but I try to keep the town neat with lots of flowers. It really depends on the time of day that you decide to play. If you play in the morning, definitely enact the Early Bird Ordinance. If you play at night, do the Night Owl Ordinance. I never went with the Wealthy Town Ordinance. If you happen to play in the middle like in the afternoon, I would just do beautiful. If it’s bells you’re looking for, you could go on the Bell Tree’s Retail to buy some bells. In fact, I have some spare bells that I would be willing to sell. Just let me know if you are interested. Good luck! :)

If you care at all about having lots of flowers, especially hybrids, then I'd say that Beautiful Town is absolutely mandatory. You won't be able to get gold roses with the Beautiful Town, but other than that, it's a relief to not have to water your flowers every day once you manage to amass a lot of them. Additionally, IIRC, the amount of flowers spawned per day is limited, so being able to water only the ones you want to produce new ones is a necessary boon.

If you don't care so much about flowers, or don't care about breeding hybrids and think you can water them every day, then there's no obvious best answer... unless your playtime is limited to early or late, of course. You can always change your mind if you pick one and don't like it.

In the beginning, I used the Night Owl Ordinance since I really only got to play at night. This was perfect since I could go bug hunting on the island longer! For the long term however, I went with Beautiful Town because there was no way I was going to water all my flowers every single day lol. So this method would be my suggestion if you sleep very late and only have time to play at night. I don't care much for the Wealthy Town one since it also makes everything more expensive for you to buy. But if you're going to do turnips/bug farming and not really shop too much in the beginning, then it'll be very good for you. But for long term, I definitely suggest you go with Beautiful Town :)

If you care at all about having lots of flowers, especially hybrids, then I'd say that Beautiful Town is absolutely mandatory. You won't be able to get gold roses with the Beautiful Town, but other than that, it's a relief to not have to water your flowers every day once you manage to amass a lot of them. Additionally, IIRC, the amount of flowers spawned per day is limited, so being able to water only the ones you want to produce new ones is a necessary boon.

If you don't care so much about flowers, or don't care about breeding hybrids and think you can water them every day, then there's no obvious best answer... unless your playtime is limited to early or late, of course. You can always change your mind if you pick one and don't like it.
Funny you say that because in New Horizons I have SO many flowers on my island and I worked really hard to get all the hybrids I need but after doing that I felt like they were just the thing for my island and I kept hybrids that I thought stood out to me while I gave most of the other ones away, but seeing as Flowers are not really so important to me as they were in New Horizions I think maybe I should go with the Bell Bloom one because like i said I had trouble making bells in this game since its a lot different compared to the new game so I would do that approach first and then when I feel like I made a lot of bells and I can afford stuff I can repeal the Ordicance and switch to the Beautiful Town one.

like someone else above, i started with night owl on both my towns (since i was still in school) but then switched to beautiful because i used natural paths and ended up lining them with a lot of flowers while also having hybrid clusters dotted around town. in the end, i set my in-game clock back a few hours so i could still play later without the stores shutting on me. i do this in NH currently too, with my switch clock being set three hours behind the current time.

bell boom is kind of redundant, especially after a while. if you beetle (and/or shark) farm on tortimer's island, you can make a heck tonne of bells from that alone to pay projects and loans off.

The Beautiful Town Ordinance is definitely my favourite one. I really wish I could have the Beautiful Town Ordinance enacted while also having either the Early Bird or Night Owl one also in use because I find those ones to be the most helpful. Night Owl is really handy if you only plan to play the game in the evening with Early Bird being the opposite and I loved Early Bird for a while!

...Then I got a bunch of flowers and couldn't be bothered to water them all 😅 So Beautiful Town Ordinance is definitely my preference there.

I find that the Beautiful Town Ordinance is the most helpful one, I have so many flowers in my town and it took a long time to water them all even with the golden watering can. So I definitely feel that it makes life a lot easier by that.

I only use the Beautiful Town Ordinance. I find it helpful in the early part of the game to breed flowers because I only have to water the ones I want. Then, in the late game I have so many flowers that I don't want to have to water them all every day.

I would like to be able to use Night Owl along with Beautiful Town because I only get to play after 9pm when most things start to close. But I solve for that by setting the time on my 3DS ahead by a few hours. So 10pm in real life is always 7pm in game for me. I don't like to time travel, but I can make this small exception just so I can actually visit the shops.

My husband swears by the Bell Boom Ordinance, but he doesn't care that much about his flowers. He has amassed more than 3 times the bells that I have in less time playing, but he also spent more time trying to build up his wealth while I spent more time decorating.

Beautiful town if you're trying to earn the golden watering can.​
Bell Boom if you're trying to pay off your loan.​
Late night if you are always playing late and wished the stores were open...or early bird you you play early and hate how you must wait for the shops to open.​

Personally, if my loan is paid, I'd stick with beautiful town.

When you're first starting out, I usually go for the bell ordinance. It will help a lot, especially when you unlock the island! After you play more and get more bells, I'd recommend switching to the beautiful ordinance. It'll help you when you want to start developing your town (appearance-wise).
Good luck!! <3

I recomend the beautifull town ordinance, its kinda a hard work to watering plant everyday, specially if you have a town crowed of flowers like mine

Back