What method are you using for villager photos?

Braixen

boku wa doctor,
Bells
New Horizons Token
Mint
Isabelle
Jack
I‘m curious what other methods players are using to get photos!

I‘ve been in a bit of a photo rut and haven’t got any for a while now :( I feel like Nintendo changes it with every update and it’s frustrating ahh

I used the stack method where you fill your pockets then receive a letter from your villager the next day and that seemed to work for a while, but I’ve been pretty unlucky lately- and maybe that‘s just the reason haha, but I switched to wrapped 2x foreign fruit to see if it works and still nothing despite giving to 6 villagers daily :(

so I just want to see what others are doing and, and what luck you’ve found!

I give a wrapped fossil each day.
Don't think I've had too bad of luck with it.

Got some photos without knowing I was close enough friends.
Had to wait over 2 months for 1 person after getting into range. I didnt like them any more after that.

I give them either a wrapped giant clam, or some wrapped fruit. I like to take a screenshot every time a villager hands me their photo, so I can’t do the stack method.

I've been gifting the villagers I don't have photos of a wrapped stack of 2 non-native fruit daily, and I usually get their photo around a month after they appearing on my island. It works, the important thing is just to have patience, lol.

I give wrapped:

3x pumpkins
or
assessed fossil

It usually takes around 3 weeks of giving that every day to get a photo. The stacked trick doesn't work with fruit anymore, but I always had more luck with pumpkins or assessed fossils.

I prefer pumpkins for many reasons and I believe they are the most efficient overall:

1) take least space
2) only 2x days to produce more fruit
3) remember they don't require watering if it rains or snows

I also plant alternating all 4x colours in a pattern:

orange>green>yellow>white for example

Then you can pick 4x in a row, wrap, and repeat. No grabbing to get exactly 3.

The only bad thing about always using pumpkins is getting the same messages, but the dialogue isn't so hot in this game anyways when doing tasks like this.

I wrap 3 fruit or pumpkin (other than my native) and give those daily. It takes a while, and for some reason there are certain villagers that just require way more fruit before they give up their photo (yes, I’m looking at you Willow. You’ve been on my island the longest, I’ve spoken to you the most yet you still took longer than the frigging newbie 😤)

For me I usually make Iron Wall Lamps and then wrap them up using Wrapping Paper I get from the Nook Shop and I've been using it a lot recently. It does work. I managed to get Audie and Judy's photo last month.

Since the fruit stack trick no longer works, the only "safe" gifts you can give are:

Giant clam
Elegant mushroom
Rare mushroom
Gold nugget
Pearl
Nook Mile tickets
Bell tickets

I have been using wrapped iron wall lamps and hanging terrariums since last year though. I've always gotten photos in 3-4 weeks, assuming you gift them daily.

I give a wrapped fossil each day.
Don't think I've had too bad of luck with it.

Got some photos without knowing I was close enough friends.
Had to wait over 2 months for 1 person after getting into range. I didnt like them any more after that.
I do the wrapped fossil too 😁

You can wrap 2 foreign fruits, 3 coconuts/ pumpkins, or 8 native fruits and have a chance of receiving a photo in return from villagers who have a high enough friendship level (level 5, which is the same level that they set a secret greeting, though generally I get a photo before I even get the prompt to set a greeting. A wrapped giant clam will work, and so will a fossil. Any gift over 750 bells of *sell* value (which is much less than the price you can buy something for) has an equal chance to get a photo in return. I believe the chance is ~10%.

the stack method no longer works with fruit or low value items but still will work with any stack of material with at least a 750 bell sell value (gold and a few other also work)

any item that is not fruit, crafting materials, or fossils can get you a photo but will go to the villager’s inventory, so if you care about the villager/ house being original this will make the villager not original. This includes wall furniture that the villager does not display. Eventually there is a chance of furniture disappearing from a villager’s house once their inventory fills up.

there is nothing they like ‘more’ when it comes to getting a photo. Anything which meets the minimum value requirement has an equal chance of you receiving a photo in exchange.

the stack method has about a 2% greater chance of getting a photo in return

I haven't had a method for acquiring villager photos, but in recent days I'd seen people suggesting wrapped non-native fruit stacks not only for this but for villager birthdays and, if it works, that will be my go-to. However...
You can wrap 2 foreign fruits, 3 coconuts/ pumpkins, or 8 native fruits and have a chance of receiving a photo in return from villagers who have a high enough friendship level (level 5, which is the same level that they set a secret greeting, though generally I get a photo before I even get the prompt to set a greeting. A wrapped giant clam will work, and so will a fossil. Any gift over 750 bells of *sell* value (which is much less than the price you can buy something for) has an equal chance to get a photo in return. I believe the chance is ~10%.

the stack method no longer works with fruit or low value items but still will work with any stack of material with at least a 750 bell sell value (gold and a few other also work)
So, I'm confused, is it worth bothering with wrapped non-native fruit stacks or not? If it "no longer works"?

Would you happen to know offhand what sorts of crafting materials work aside from gold? I have use for those, barely ever find any, and really don't want to hand them over to my villagers for this purpose.

EDIT: Nevermind Wailea, just saw Rosch's post.

Guess I'll be giving them Giant Clams and Bell Tickets.

Last edited:
I read somewhere a while back that giving them wrapped Crest doorplates worked best because they sell for 2500 each and only cost 4 iron nuggets to make, so I've been doing that and it seems to work pretty quickly. I haven't really kept track of how long it's taken to get photos, but I'm pretty sure it's only been 3-4 weeks each time (of giving one to them everyday). I also talk to them 5-6 times each day. I've read mixed reviews about the talking to them helping, so I figured what the heck.

I haven't had a method for acquiring villager photos, but in recent days I'd seen people suggesting wrapped non-native fruit stacks not only for this but for villager birthdays and, if it works, that will be my go-to. However...

So, I'm confused, is it worth bothering with wrapped non-native fruit stacks or not? If it "no longer works"?

Would you happen to know offhand what sorts of crafting materials work aside from gold? I have use for those, barely ever find any, and really don't want to hand them over to my villagers for this purpose.

it works for wrapped fruit stacks, but the stack of unwrapped items with full pockets trick (which is commonly called the fruit stack/ stack tricks), where they mail you a return gift now only works with higher priced items.

i know it is confusing but I can verify that wrapped fruit stacks of appropriate value still can get you a villager photo.

@Rosch mentioned the best ones I think : gold nuggets, pearls, elegant mushrooms, I believe the large star fragments (but not the regular or zodiac fragments). I had never thought of using the tickets, so that is a great idea too!

it works for wrapped fruit stacks, but the stack of unwrapped items with full pockets trick (which is commonly called the fruit stack/ stack tricks), where they mail you a return gift now only works with higher priced items.

i know it is confusing but I can verify that wrapped fruit stacks of appropriate value still can get you a villager photo.

@Rosch mentioned the best ones I think : gold nuggets, pearls, elegant mushrooms, I believe the large star fragments (but not the regular or zodiac fragments). I had never thought of using the tickets, so that is a great idea too!
Oh, okay! Thank you very much for clarifying. :)

any item that is not fruit, crafting materials, or fossils can get you a photo but will go to the villager’s inventory, so if you care about the villager/ house being original this will make the villager not original. This includes wall furniture that the villager does not display. Eventually there is a chance of furniture disappearing from a villager’s house once their inventory fills up.

there is nothing they like ‘more’ when it comes to getting a photo. Anything which meets the minimum value requirement has an equal chance of you receiving a photo in exchange.

the stack method has about a 2% greater chance of getting a photo in return

Ahh.... I was wondering why Graham wasn’t giving me his picture! 😭 I got one from Sherb in the mail not too long ago using this method.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks @Braixen for making this thread. I had no clue they changed it again!

I was using fossels. I was having great luck with that method. I switched to 2 non native fruits for about a month with zero results. I went back to fossils and got my last three pics in about a week.

I give out wrapped non native fruits or wrapped coconuts. I was previously doing the stack trick where you can get the photos in the mail but I like getting them in person.

woo lots of options!
sounds like the stack method doesn’t work anymore, but I’m fine with that honestly bc it was a little annoying haha
sounds like wrapped foreign fruit is the most popular, I’ll continue with that! thanks guys :)

Back