• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is a game that you used to hate but you now like?

VanitasFan26

I'm just a ghost.
Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
For me it was Pokemon Black and White. Back in 2011 when I first played this game, I never liked it. The Unova Pokemon looked ugly and I rushed through the story because I didn't take the time to read the dialogue, but now playing it again 7 years later it is not as bad as I thought it was. Yeah sure there are still some things I didn't enjoy. I wish the Unova Pokemon didn't evolve at late levels and the rotation/triple battles felt pretty awkward at times. Despite the flaws I can appreciate the story, characters, music, and the way the areas looked really awesome. This game may not be my favorite but after replaying it I had a good time going though the main story and get to use some of the Unova Pokemon that I never used back in 2011. This Pokemon game that has a fresh Story and doesn't have the same old Pokemon that you know since the very beginning. It was nice change to try new Pokemon and not the old ones that I keep using all the time that does get repetitive.

What are some games that you used to hate but you now like?

Last edited:
The only one that really comes to mind right now is Dino Crisis. I played it with a sibling a long time ago and was kind of put off by the tank controls, so I kind of dismissed it on that basis alone. Now, having replayed it maybe four or five years ago, it's one of my favorite games on the original PlayStation. It's easy to dismiss it as simply "Resident Evil but with dinosaurs," but that's precisely what makes it so great. The characters are all extremely fun and memorable, and I found the tank controls (while still, by design, cumbersome) to be a much more deliberate and calculated design choice, rather than a limitation of its time period.

The sequel is also fine for what it is, but it's not quite the same as the original. And I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a third entry. It's a shame, because I would have liked them to have made more.

Can't say I have any.

There are plenty of games that I'm indifferent towards...and there are plenty of games that I love. But, I can't think of a single time that I hated a game and went on to change my mind about it. Also, not sure that I've ever "hated" any game. I usually just say "this isn't a good game" or "this isn't worth my time"...but "hate" is a strong word for something that I can simply not play. I never really feel that way. Closest thing would be the big mainstream games like Fortnite or something. I guess I kinda hate those.

Portal, I guess.

A large part of this was because of the fandom, mind - you can only hear so many 'the cake is a lie' jokes before it starts to wear you down. Sometimes it's fine, especially when it makes sense in context. But it became too constant, and people were posting them whenever they saw a picture of a random cake.

I only changed my mind when I played Lego Dimensions. It was the first time I'd actually gone into anything Portal, and, even though I was dreading it, I absolutely loved GLaDOS right away. Then Wheatley arrived and, after I beat LD, I decided to play the proper game, and I really enjoyed it. Nowadays, I ignore most fanbases for popular games, especially ones that I'm on the fence about.

I used to hate Overwatch years back when it was still just the first game, as I had a roommate that would rage every single day because of it and I had never personally played it before. Left a very sour taste in my mouth, and I basically swore to never play it.

A year or so later I saw it cheap on Humble Bundle and decided to give it a shot, as some friends I had made since then liked it themselves. After spending a few hundred hours playing Overwatch 1, I'm more than willing to say I was wrong. I had a ton of fun playing with friends and I still play some of Overwatch 2 to this day (but honestly only because they delisted the first game).

First thing that comes to mind is Minecraft, actually. I used to think it was dumb, back in 2013-2014. I think it was going through a really popular surge back then, but I eschewed it until I saw gameplay of it and I was intrigued. During covid I became obsessed with the game but now I barely have time to play. I also discovered the Animal Crossing games through New Horizons and that replaced my obsession. I wish I could play Minecraft now, actually, but my laptop is broken right now, so I can't play Java version. I have Bedrock version on other devices but I'd rather not play Minecraft at all than play Bedrock.

I’ll say Splatoon. I never hated it, but I didn’t want to give it a chance. It has that competitive aspect I like. I still can’t justify paying for the game myself, but I do enjoy it to a point I don’t mind playing it with friends. Unfortunately, I’m not very good at it.

Resident Evil: Village. I’m too chicken to play scary games, but I appreciate the lore and fun character designs. I have mixed feelings about Lady D bc she sort of looks like a long-term character I created and it made me hesitant to want to publicize my work as I didn’t want to be accused of stealing. (I still like her design, nevertheless.)

Fortnite. Never was a fan of the building mechanics and gameplay.

Zero build makes it enjoyable.

The closest would be the Zelda franchise. I played OoT way back in the day before the 3DS and I got stuck in a certain temple and never wanted to play it again. Fast forward to DS era. I got Phantom Hourglass on promotion and liked it. I got OoT for the 3DS and tried it again and loved it! I guess getting older helped but it got me into the Zelda franchise and I love it ever since.

i used to hate pikmin 3 or nintendo land on the wii u because that’s all my brother wanted to play and i got tired of both of them, now they’re nostalgic to me.

The Silent Hill franchise. It used to be scary (derogatory) and now it's scary (affectionate). All it took was for me to watch playthroughs to really understand how great the first three games are and now I'm a huge fan. (I have nothing against the other SH btw, I just haven't played/watched playthroughs of them.)

Believe it or not.... the Animal Crossing games 🤣😅

I was super annoyed with the franchise for a really long time as I felt it was overrated (mostly due to Isabelle), and other, more senior Nintendo franchises were getting ignored (the big one being Metroid as I am a HUGE Metroid fan)
When COVID hit and everyone was playing NH I refused to get the game, but a combo of being stuck inside + my sister insisting that we try out something new made me buy it in the end...

And now look at me LOL 🤣🤣🤣
Drawing AC fan art, chatting in AC forums, buying merch, collecting the amiibo cards.... past me would be shook 🤣

Also, thanks to Metroid Dread and the announcement of Metroid Prime 4, plus the remake Samus Returns, I definitely feel that the Metroid series is in a much better place than what it was!
I still think Isabelle is overrated though

Not really hate but I didn’t really care about Pokémon or Animal Crossing before. Or any game series besides Mario. But then I started getting into them and now they’re some of my favorite series. Kirby is another series that was like this before.

As I mentioned in a Persona thread that another member made a few days ago, I initially wrote off the Persona series because my first exposure to it was Persona 4. The first things that slapped me in the face were the power of friendship vibe, the dating Social Links, and the goofy scenes from the anime adaptation. I was very tired of power of friendship stuff and I was even MORE put off by the dating sim aspects at the time and so I assumed the whole game and series were going to be like that.

I got into Shin Megami Tensei, which is the series that Persona branched off from years ago, and fell in love with SMT. As I got more into SMT, I started to look more into all the stuff about it and there was crossover with Persona. Aside from stuff on the wiki, I also watched some SMT channels on YouTube that talked about lore and demons and such, and they also covered Persona stuff sometimes. I kinda warmed up to Persona more this way, though it was still a "not for me" sort of thing.

It took a few years but eventually I was browsing YouTube one day and saw CrystAAHHL's reaction to a certain event of Persona 5 and it was kind of like a switch was flipped. I got more interested in looking into the Persona series by watching the earlier bits of her playthrough, then I went and watched other playthroughs of previous games. I came to appreciate Persona 4 more as I learned the plot. Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment became two of my favorite video games in general after I saw their plots play out.

Another series I was never into was Final Fantasy. The overexposure I received on the early 2000s Internet for Final Fantasy 7 soured me on it, and what made it worse was that these characters I was tired of seeing were also in a crossover game series called Kingdom Heart alongside Disney characters; I've never been a Disney fan. Suffice it to say I wrote the series off for years. Eventually, the passion that a few friends of mine have for Final Fantasy 6 got me to give 6 a try. I learned that I enjoy it and find the plot of that game neat. This also opened me up to being willing to give Final Fantasy 7 a fair shake; I've still never played either version, but I've learned the lore, listened to the music, etc. and I can see why it's so beloved. That said, I still don't really care for anything Final Fantasy post-FF 9 and I still definitely dislike Kingdom Hearts.

If I think of some others, I'll make another post.

Last edited:
Smash for Wii U, I was so bad at it that I absolutely hated playing it and everytime my friend would ask me to get online I would just ignore him bc the game made me so heated it was a problem lol
Since Smash Ultimate came out I've learned how to play and enjoy it a lot, I only play with friends though. So in retrospect, I treated Smash4 too harshly.

The first time I booted up a Dynasty Warriors game was in March 2015 and after a couple of hours I decided it wasn't for me. I liked Hyrule Warriors and Samurai Warriors, so I was surprised I didn't gel with this one.

I then didn't touch a DW game again until September 2018. After that I became hooked to the point that it's one of my favourite game franchises of all time, on par with series I've been playing for 20+ years such as Final Fantasy and Pokémon. In 2021 I even went back to the exact title I dropped in 2015 and 100% completed it.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate!
This was the first MH game I ever played. I tried the demo for the game but I couldn't understand it at all and lost interest in the series. Years later, I tried the demo for Rise, actually understood how the game worked this time, bought the full game, and now it's my most played game on the Switch. Since then, I've gone back to play older games in the series including 4U. And wow this game is so much better when you know what you're doing! It's awesome!! Rise is still my favorite in the series but 4U easily gets second place.
(Although the problem was likely because I really wanted to play Hunting Horn for some reason when I initially tried 4U. I still have no idea how that weapon works in any game pre-Rise lmfao. Insect Glaive is what I use in 4U now!!)

Borderlands. I don't even know why I started it, but I didn't really like it in the beginning. But 1 quickly won me over despite these types of monsters not being my cup of tea and I continued with 2, the Prequel and the Telltale game.

Most recently, it would have to be Tears of the Kingdom.

It felt more like DLC to me and finding out that I had to do everything all over again (shrines, heart containers, stamina wheel, the Master Sword, Korok seeds, EVERYTHING) stung for a while.

I finished it and put it away. I dug it out again and started a new game. It was more enjoyable the second time around.

Back