• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What made you play Animal Crossing New Leaf?

My own story of how I got into New Leaf a few years ago isn't particularly noteworthy. It was my first time playing the franchise and I thought it looked like a relaxing experience. I remember asking a friend his recommendation and he wholeheartedly suggested I start. I ended up playing for a while before taking a large break. Now, here I am back into the series eagerly awaiting the Switch sequel.

I knew about the AC series since I was a kid but didn't end up playing it till much later. Remember watching my sister playing AC GC as a kid and being fascinated by it. I also remember my friend had Wild World but I only played it for a while. She also had City Folk and remember her mom playing it a lot. But I just didn't get into the series until Halloween of last year. I just randomly decided to play because I had a copy laying around and knew that the game celebrated holidays. I had nothing to do on this Halloween so I decided to celebrate Halloween with the characters of AC. I was all alone on that holiday but all the villagers were so friendly and celebrated with me so I didn't feel so lonely anymore. I love how even though you may be all alone on your birthday or holiday that your villagers will be there waiting for you and ready to celebrate with you. It's just such a nice feeling and makes you feel less alone. And before this I had another NL town but just didn't get into it until now and deleted it but still think about that old town now. Also have a gc town and everyone is still there. Just wish I had gotten into the series earlier and regret it all the time. Sorry for talking so much!Hope I didn't bore you!

My husband bought New Leaf not long after it came out because he played the original. He got me to try it because he was convinced I?d like it, and he was right. I have over 4,000 hours played in my main town lol

I enjoyed the previous games. I wound up playing New Leaf way more than anything though because it just so mobile and accessible.

My brother first introduced me to Animal Crossing on the GameCube. I didn't have a GameCube, but I visited my family weekly after I moved out so he set me up with my own town on a 2nd memory card. Eventually, I stopped visiting so frequently and he sold his system and copy of the game.

Fast forward to 2017 and my husband started watching Chuggaconroy's Let's Play of Animal Crossing New Leaf. I hadn't kept up with the franchise or any of the new games. In fact, I was so attached to my old town and villagers that I had sworn never to play again because it just wouldn't be the same. But watching the videos of New Leaf, my desire to play again grew until I couldn't bear it anymore. Luckily, I had a used 3DS that I bought to play Pokemon X, so I gave in and bought a copy of New Leaf. I've been addicted ever since.

i noticed that almost everywhere i looked, someone was always raving about the series (especially my cousin, who i remember introducing me to city folk years ago). so time skip, it wasn't until i wanted to pick up a new ds game that i decided to purchase acnl!

my friend had also mentioned that acnl was something that gave her peace of mind during stressful times, so it definitely piqued my interest on how such a game could have that effect on people. rest is history c:

I saw some screenshots on tumblr that looked very pretty and thought "this seems a good game". A few months later I coincidentally found a copy selling at a shady store, after Nintendo stopped selling here in my country. I thought "it's now or never" and bought it, and loved it! I ended up buying my second copy online in an overseas store, and will buy a switch and the new game the same way. (the shipping costs are so expensive though... ;v;)

my friend made me get it when she got it and ever since then i've been a fan of anything animal crossing

i actually found the ACNL OST way before i even knew what Animal Crossing was. i decided to check out the gameplay of it and i was super interested.

I started playing because my brother's girlfriend lent me her ds! I forgot the exact circumstances that led to that arrangement but I remember being excited because 1) my brother had a gf 2) i was becoming friends with said gf who is very kind and 3) talking animals!!! I got really into it and I loved that it helped me wake up in the morning like a kind of routine but with a defined end point (when i've found all the fossils for the day) as opposed to how I used to just endlessly scroll through twitter until it got too late to go to my first class oof

but yeah!! i'm really grateful because this game brought me closer someone really important to my brother!

i've always been a fan of life sim games across all consoles, previously had animal crossing wild world (although i'm pretty sure i didn't do much except catch bugs/fish and sell fruit lol!) and was really itching for new leaf. i actually only got it ~1 year ago, so i haven't had it for very long. i'm so glad i finally bit the bullet and have really enjoyed playing it and am getting excited for the switch version as well!

first of all, i love animals!! secondly, after playing stardew valley, i realized i enjoy peaceful games like that, so i gave animal crossing a chance by playing my brothers old WW copy. i really fell in love with the game and i just had to get NL...the graphics are of course better and i love being the mayor!!

When I was nine I saw the eShop video with Reggie in it and I got interested because I saw that you could have your own house and customize it, I was really into that kinda stuff so later that year I bought it. ACNL has made wanna try out other games from the same series so I ended up buying ACWW and ACHD. It’s been four years since I started playing New Leaf and I’m SUPER excited for AC Switch.

Last edited:
I saw an old Animal Crossing Commercial on my computer and I was super interested. So I decided to buy one.

i randomly bought it because it looked cute. my dad didn't want me to get it at first because he thought i wouldn't play it. little did he know :p

two of my friends i met online on another website showed me bell tree forums and told me to join with them. after almost 5 years of being on this forum i finally started to play animal crossing! my bf found his copy of acnl sitting in the dust and gave it to me since he heard i used this forum & i like relaxing games like stardew valley.

I didnt even know Animal Crossing 'till my sister asked for the game in late 2014. My initial thoughts were going to be, "Meh, looks like I'll only play this game for a while then I'm done with it." Boy was I wrong and it was the total opposite! I played this game throughout my highschool years and really influenced my life. Can't imagine what it would be like without it. This what also made me get into drawing in the first place after seeing other people's artwork.

Probably because I played both Animal Crossing for the Gamecube and WildWorld on the DS. I never played the Wii version, though I heard it was just WW but better. I did pick it up, but I just returned it without even opening it. I had burned myself out with the previous games and felt that it was just too repetitive and the same thing over again.

It's why I never picked up NewLeaf when I heard of it. It wasn't until late 2014 when I heard that we were the mayor and could change the town to our liking that it piqued my interest again. And while the game was still repetitive and felt slightly stunted with it's restrictions to land development and true mayoral authority, it was still a breath of fresh air.

I can only hope they make the next installment as unique and new as NewLeaf was. If it weren't for this new take, I probably would had never picked up the game.

the animal crossing tag on tumblr! when i saw all the houses, towns and characters people were creating on tumblr, it made me want to play. i also watched some ancl play throughs, which only made me wanna play more. i eventually got it for my birthday in 2016 c:

Back