• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What kind of mattress do you sleep on?

Kamzitty

nintendo trash
Bells
Light Blue Balloon
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Do you like to sleep on a firm or softer mattress? Where did you get your mattress from, and how has it held up over the years?
I’m curious because I’ve been wanting to invest in a new mattress for my BF and I. We have been sleeping on the same old secondhand mattress for a couple years now. It’s really hard and cramped too since it’s a Full. We’ve developed some back pain as well. It’s been difficult shopping online for a mattress because every brand we look at has mixed reviews. D:
Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to online, mattress-in-a-box brands? Or should we just go try some out in person? Most places are opening back up where we are, but I’m still iffy about going out.

I got my mattress at a local department store in my town. I prefer a softer mattress, but I could see myself leaning to the more firm side. As for shopping for one, I would absolutely go out and test them. You don’t know what might be right for you until you try it, and that’s 100% true for mattress shopping! If you don’t feel comfortable going out, that’s completely fine! You could wait until it’s better to go out, or you could take the advice from someone else. Either way, good luck on finding your perfect mattress! And sweet dreams 🌙

I bought my current mattress about 3 years ago. I'd call it a medium sort of mattress. It's not super firm, but not super soft either. I like it and get good sleep on it. My previous mattress would make me wake up with my back hurting sometimes because, honestly, I kept it longer than its lifespan and also it got a dent in the middle the shape of my body. It wasn't good for my back and I put up with that dent way too long. I found out that the dent in the middle in mattresses can be partly caused by the mattress absorbing moisture from you sweating while sleeping. I got a mattress protector to keep any moisture away from the mattress. I am pretty sure it's working because if you take it off my mattress still looks completely brand new underneath!

I considered buying a mattress in a box from online but I dunno. I feel like I need to try a mattress to see if I like it first. I can take soft beds and medium beds, but way too many people (judging from guest room beds at others' houses) seem to like firm mattresses. I can't fall asleep on a firm mattress. Honestly, some mattresses have felt so rock hard to me that it's more comfortable to sleep on the floor.

The only thing that's irritating about buying a mattress in a store is the sales people can be irritating AF (just like salespeople in furniture stores actually...). They follow you around and constantly try to talk to you to get a sale. Whenever I walk in a store and the sales person is like that (some even insist on being like that even when you politely tell them you just want to look and will come find them if you have questions) I will just up and leave. But both for my current mattress and previous mattress I ended up finding amazing sales people who LEFT ME THE HECK ALONE so I can look and think about what I want, and they were super knowledgable when I asked questions. I've also managed to get them to give me deals by being polite and nice to them. The guy I bought my current mattress from gave me free delivery (they normally charge like $50 for it even in town like I was) when I asked. That was neat.

My mattress is one of those completely foam ones that you buy vacuum sealed, and then it expands when you first open it. It's about four years old and maybe my favorite purchase ever. It's like sleeping on a cloud <3

i just got a new mattress a few months ago because my old one was pretty much destroyed. unfortunately i've come to the realization that the new one still isn't firm enough, and i wake up with pretty bad back pain every day D: now i have to attempt to get my money back somehow and also find a decent mattress that won't bankrupt me.

Not sure what the official name is or what brand it is, but all I know is that it was relatively pricey. However within a few months it somehow broke (no I don't jump on them or anything lol) and has a lot of springs poking out in 3 rows, so I kind of had to sleep on like a certain third of my small single bed :/. I decided to get a silentnight "ultimate deep sleep topper" that was relatively inexpensive, and omg it works wonders. It's like a gigantic really thick pillow on top of the mattress, and now I can't feel any springs at all! After trying it out my brother ended up buying one as well, and now I know to just get a relatively cheap mattress and a very nice mattress topper to put on top of it :3

I have a tempurpedic one at home, and that’s probably my favorite type of mattress.

I have a Tempurpedic. It was the first time I changed from a traditional mattress, and I love it.

I have a regular type of mattress you can buy at a mattress barn. Like, a big store that only sells mattresses. It's a twin size.

I want to say it's a medium, I've certainly slept on much harder mattresses and I've felt much more squishy ones. The firm ones hurt my hip after sleeping on them for one night and the soft ones just aren't for me, I'd like a little support with that sleep.

Also consider how much time you will spend on it. I used to be on my bed ALOT sitting there for hours on end playing videogames. It got to the point that I made an impression where I would always sit/lay and didn't feel as good to sleep on anymore. I could literally feel myself sink in the impression. If you're not gonna be on it 25/9 then a regular mattress should last you a good time.

I'd say you def want to feel it yourselves, you may not be able to get a refund if you purchase it online. If you'd rather wait until its safer to go out and touch all over a floor display (totally understandable) then maybe in the meantime you can get one of those on-top cushion things people have mentioned in this thread? I've never used one so idk about it. Might be a temporary fix or not.

I just bought a new one and I don't know how to feel about it. I kind of wish it wasn't as firm as it is.

I have a Serta mattress and it's about 7 years old and still going strong. . .no lumpiness, permanent dips in material, etc. It's plush but slightly firm so you don't sink into it that much. I've had friends who say they like how comfy it is lol. I would definitely get another when I move out of my parents' house because of the good quality.

I don't know the details, but a soft mattress would give me backpain so I have a firm one.

My simmons mattress has held up well over the past two years! I think I have the extra firm, but if I could choose again, I'd go down a level to medium firmness.

I sleep on an all memory foam mattress! I don’t remember the exact name of it, but my girlfriend bought it with some of her stimulus money during the quarantine. I love this mattress so much and it always makes me feel as if my back is supported no matter what, which is a great feeling.

Lol this is such a random topic but I’m on board. I used to sleep on a memory foam mattress topper and that was the best. I had to leave it behind when I moved and I think it had to be the number one thing I regret not taking with me at the end.

Bruhhh yall don't even knooowwww. I guess the mattress I sleep on is soft, but it's literally like as old as I am. My parents had it for years before I did 😆

It's no wonder I have back/neck issues all the time lol. Too bad I can't afford a new one 🙃 idk maybe I could at least get a foam topper or smth but stuff like that for queen sized beds can be so costly.

Despite it being so old it's not lumpy or anything, none of the springs are broken and it's still holding up really well. It may just be the fact that it's so soft that hurts my back sometimes. It's definitely a step up from the twin size mattress I had years ago, which in p sure actually was broken lol.

Back