• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is your favourite game from your birth year?

i actually havent played many games from my birth year! they're in my back log, i just havent. many good games came out that year (metal gear solid, jet set radio, majoras mask etc).

my favorite though is a tie between Paper Mario (in JP, tho) or The Sims. if we're going based off of NA release, it'll be The Sims. I remember playing it a couple times on my friends little thinkpad laptop and being so mesmerized. it's not my favorite of the Sims games but it is for sure one of my fav franchises.

sumer_300dpi-1500x1491.jpg

Did I say that video games didn't exist in the year I was born?I stand corrected......The Sumerian Game was introduced in 1964(the year I was born).It combined a slide projector with an IBM terminal connected to an IBM mainframe,so technically,this had all the elements of a video game.I played an updated version of this game called Hammurabi many years ago on a friend's Radio Shack TRS-80 so I can say that I have played it and therefore, it has to be my favorite video game from the year I was born.....and well,you know....it was the only video game from the year I was born.

View attachment 491294
Did I say that video games didn't exist in the year I was born?I stand corrected......The Sumerian Game was introduced in 1964(the year I was born).It combined a slide projector with an IBM terminal connected to an IBM mainframe,so technically,this had all the elements of a video game.I played an updated version of this game called Hammurabi many years ago on a friend's Radio Shack TRS-80 so I can say that I have played it and therefore, it has to be my favorite video game from the year I was born.....and well,you know....it was the only video game from the year I was born.
Wow! I had no idea...sounds interesting!

Born...in...2001...? :eek: Dear lord, I feel sooooo old now.

I was born in 1988. What even released that year? *looks up* Hm... Super Mario Bros 3, I guess. Not big on NES games, personally. Funny I see Mega Man II was also released that year and that's a game I remember playing in my early childhood. Interesting.

WOW! I had no idea this game ever existed! Glad to know I'm still learning so much about gaming; it's so wild to see how games have changed SO much over the years, no telling what games will be like in 10 or even 20 years' time!

My personal favorite is Mario Kart Double Dash. By the time I was old enough to be able to play video games Mario Kart Wii already existed so that one ended up being my childhood.

I decided to try out Double Dash a few months ago and I fell in love. I’ve always enjoyed mario kart games but this one felt more challenging so I do find myself playing it often.

My favorite video game from the year 1990 is probably Devil's Crush. It's a fun pinball game that has cool aesthetics and theming and also has a great soundtrack. Not only is it fun, but it has some nostalgic appeal because I watched my older sibling playing its Sega Genesis port, known as Dragon's Fury, when I was young. The cover art of Dragon's Fury is also etched in my brain since I thought it was neat as a kid. You can check out the gameplay here (gameplay starts at 0:31 in the video):

Honorable Mentions

Columns:
A puzzle game that's kind of like Tetris but with gems. It has sentimental and nostalgic appeal to me since it was one of the first games I played, and also because not only did my older sibling and I play it, but even my mom played and enjoyed it occasionally and she's only played a few video games throughout the years. The soundtrack, though very limited, is also memorable for me, particularly the song Lathesis. It doesn't beat out Devil's Crush for me since the gameplay doesn't really stack up to other similar puzzle games like Tetris or Panel de Pon since you can only rearrange the gems in a vertical line. It's still fun in its own way, but yeah.

You can try it out if you have either Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pass as part of the Sega Genesis section, or it's also one of the games included in the game Sega Genesis Classics.

Alien Storm: A fun little side scrolling beat 'em up with a neat alien invasion theme and includes some gallery shooter sections. I'm not as attached to this one, and there are definitely other beat 'em ups I prefer to play, but I think it's neat. Like previously mentioned with Columns, you can try it out if you have the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pass or if you own the game Sega Genesis Classics.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light: This is the first Fire Emblem game. I'm not as attached to this one either, and it's understandably a bit janky to go back to play nowadays due to all the gameplay improvements made to the series as the series went on. That said, at the end of the day it's still a serviceable turn-based tactical game with knights, mages, dragons, etc. and actually has a plot, and all of that stuff appeals to me. I also owe it a debt of gratitude since my two favorite games wouldn't exist if this game hadn't started the series in the first place, so I feel it deserves the mention.

Last edited:
Crash Team Racing. That’s a classic.

1996-2000 games that pop into my mind first are always the original Crash and Spyro games, and I certainly prefer CTR to Spyro 2 haha. Apparently Third Strike and Pepsiman also came out that year, which is pretty cool.

A couple cool ones, but probably the one from 2003 I have the deepest connection with is Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (If I only had to pick one, probably Sapphire).
I prefer emerald, although that was released in 2004, but I still had a lot of fun with these games, and I love the oras remakes!!

Born in 1997, can't say I've played many games from that far back. However the PAL version of Super Mario 64 was released in '97, so I'll have to go with that!

One of my favourite games of all time came out the year I was born - 1996. Corpse party! I remember playing it on pc waaaay back in the day and falling in love. I've always loved the horror genre haha, and it was a free download. I recently replayed it when it ported to switch and loved it just as much.

I'm a big fan of that style of game, they ported Mad Father to switch recently too and I stayed up all night replaying it and getting the different endings.

I've also noticed they've ported Ib and Witches House, so when I have some spare cash I'll be getting those too 😅 I really hope they bring Crooked Man to the switch too. Simple games, but very effective.

mine has to be animal crossing folk! it’s pretty much the only game i’ve played from 2008, other than wii fit (but accf is actually fun)

Back