• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What Is Your Favorite Game Genre?

What Is Your Favorite Game Genre?

• Action (FPS/TPS, Fighting/Martial Arts, First Person Shooter, etc)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Adventure (Open world, Adventure RPG, Story heavy, etc)

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • Role-Playing (Action RPG, Adventure RPG, JRPG, Rogue-likes, etc)

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Simulators (Building, Farming, Crafting, Sandbox & Physics, Immersion, etc)

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Strategy (City/Civilization, Card/Board games, RTS, Turn based, etc)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Sports (Sports)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Horror (Scary)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Gacha (I added this for all you Genshin, HI3, and HSR players)

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Minecraft (it gets it's own category)

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

Blink.

⭑ ✦ ☕ ✦ ⭑
Bells
Galaxy Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
Golden Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
Dreamy Easter Egg
Pastel Disco Ball Easter Egg
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
Galaxy Easter Egg
Now there's a lot of games out there that we all might have played once. Was there a genre(s) that you really liked?
A lot of these genres were taken by the very neat and tidy category system on Steam. It may not be perfect, but it's a good place to start.

I know many games can fall under more than one category! For example, God of War 4 is technically an Action Adventure RPG. Red Dead Redemption also falls under those 3 three categories. Overwatch is an action game and Honkai Star Rail is a Strategy Gacha RPG.
I enjoy FPS and Action/Adventure RPGs. Although my Steam library does have a lot of simulators and strategies, they're usually played on the side. I Used to play a lot of Dungeons and Dragons on Fridays with my friends, but we have long since finished our campaign.

When it comes down to it, my favorite(s) would probably be, Action, Adventure, RPGs, Horror.

I think I like open world games the best, because I love exploring at my own pace and getting distracted by this and that. I have sunk a lot of hours into several open world games.

That being said, I have always been fond of mmorpgs as well. Even though the one I currently play (Ragnarok mobile) is pay to win and the whales are annoying as heck and destroying the game economy, it still has a place in my heart. I love being part of a guild and the community aspect of those kind of games. The guild is the only reason I still play that game even after 2 years!

Platformers, especially 3D collectathon platformers. But I also like how Nintendo does each genre (Metroid’s focus on upgrades as story progression, Diddy Kong Racing mixing collectathon and racing elements, Pokémon having creature-based battles etc.), as well as older styles of gameplay that have long been abandoned.

I'd say my favorites are turn-based tactical role playing games, fighting games, beat-em-ups and RPGs/JRPGs.

I've loved turn-based tactics since I first saw my older sibling playing Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention on our Sega Genesis as a kid. It took me years to get into playing any myself, but after watching someone play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on a stream over a decade ago, I got copies of both for myself and they're my favorite video games ever. I fell in love with the older games in the series; my opinion of the series post-Awakening is less than stellar, though I love Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and thought Three Houses and Three Hopes were pretty decent. Fire Emblem aside, I also enjoy other turn-based tactics games like Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, Stella Glow, and Triangle Strategy. I have Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance (because I didn't know initially that it was a different game than the original) that I still need to play eventually, and I also hear wonderful things about the original Final Fantasy Tactics and need to play it someday as well. Oh, and I grabbed Tactics Ogre off of the Wii U eShop before it closed earlier this year.

As for fighting games, they were my first exposure to video games. My first fighting game was my older sibling's copy of the Sega Genesis port of the original Mortal Kombat and I loved it. We also had Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I kept going with the Mortal Kombat series throughout my life, occasionally picked up some more Street Fighter games, and explored other fighting games like some Dead or Alive, some The King of Fighters, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, a few Soul Calibur games, Skullgirls, and a few Tekken games. Oh, and I can't forget the Super Smash Bros. series, which while more party games than traditional fighters, still involve fighting and which are great games. I've sort of fallen off in the past couple console generations because I've stuck with the Nintendo consoles (3DS, Wii U, Switch) over the Xbox One or Xbox Series X or the PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5; the last one of those I got was an Xbox 360. I hope to get back into them when I get a gaming PC in the future so I can experience the Guilty Gear series, Mortal Kombat X, Mortal Kombat 11 and the upcoming Mortal Kombat 1, as well as Tekken 7, the upcoming Tekken 8, and of course Street Fighter V and Street Fighter 6.

Tangentially related, I love a good beat-em-up. My first beat-em-ups were Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Alien Storm and Golden Axe. More "modern" God, I'm old fare like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game and River City Girls were great, as is Streets of Rage 4. I need to pick up the second River City Girls game eventually. Probably ought to try other classics like Double Dragon too someday.

When it comes to RPGs and JRPGs, I'll play most things. I will say that a big love of mine in terms of these is monster collecting/battling games like the Pokémon and Shin Megami Tensei series.

Last edited:
JRPGs are a very easy go-to for me! ^^ I adore the Dragon Quest series and it's made up a huge chunk of my gaming experience. I prefer turn-based JRPGs because action RPGs tend to make me panic and button-mash, but I'll play either if the story is appealing. I'm also into Pokémon, but I've always kind of preferred the side games.

I'm also a big fan of decorating and/or farming sims! I do really enjoy the decorating aspects of Animal Crossing, but I kind of have to be in the mood for designing. Farming sims like RF4S/RF5 and Stardew Valley are really fun and usually relaxing too, and I enjoy the gameplay loop of gradually unlocking more and more varied crops for my farm.

And of course, otome visual novels! I grew up desperately crawling the annals of Quotev and Wattpad for half-decent and in-character "x Reader" fanfiction of my favorite characters (...these searches were rarely successful), so I feel like games where I can just romance sweet anime guys was a natural progression for me. Typically with games I'll only keep track of my favorite series and branch out within the genre only if another sounds very promising, but with otome I actually follow several publishers and research most upcoming releases.

Shout-out to Minecraft too. I'll fall in and out of the mood to play it, but it's a classic that I always keep coming back to.

Honestly Adventure games especially the more story focused ones, I love everything RGG Studio puts out, kind of wish they kept doing the beat-em-up style but I'm sure it was getting stale for them. God of War was good too. I like JRPGS too like Trails of Cold Steel and Xenoblade

I prefer the sports genre of video games. I'm assuming Mario Kart 8 could technically be in this category since it's racing which is a sport. Although that may be a stretch, lol. I also play the college football games just because I prefer the recruitment aspects. The professional football games don't have that. Hockey games are also fun, but I do prefer football games despite hockey being my favorite sport. Fun fact, lol.

adventure is probably my favourite, find story heavy games interesting and enjoy following them, but sim games are also fun when you just want to relax and play something simple

simulator games are my favourite and the ones i typically enjoy the most (animal crossing, style savvy, tomodachi life, harvest moon/story of seasons etc), but i also enjoy horror games (five nights at freddy’s, spooky’s jump scare mansion, doki doki literature club etc), adventure games (primarily the last of us), and strategy games!

Growing up on Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons and Rune Factory, I've always been a self-proclaimed farm sim fan. The nature of their gameplay loops is definitely not for everyone and are at times pretty grindy time sinks, but the slow progression and micromanagement of crops/money/other resources has always been more soothing than boring to me. I do admit it makes me a little sad to see the genre so oversaturated with same-y Stardew clones (don't get me wrong, I love Stardew, but last year's September "cozy direct" was pretty laughable) and in turn dismissed as a recent and shallow fad, when in truth these games have been around for decades. I'll probably stick with only my childhood franchises for the foreseeable future, but I do appreciate the passion and artistry that go into farm sim projects that are less like quick cash-grabs and more like love letters from the people that grew up on said franchises (the gorgeous 90's anime-style portraiture of Fields of Mistria caught my eye and I've been following its development).

In my teens I was also pretty heavily into S/JRPG's, particularly turn-based ones, but I find that the older I get, the less I'm willing to sink 60+ hours into a new game (with the exception of Fire Emblem, which I got sucked into after Three Houses lol). I love Kazuma Kaneko's artwork and pre-ordered SMTV, but never got past the 10 hour mark on that game.

Platformers are my all time favourites, especially the 'collectathon' ones. Unfortunately they seem to be fading out these days, probably because it takes a lot longer to make a good platformer than it does, say, an RPG game.

Speaking of RPGs, I love those too, especially ones that include puzzle elements. But I really despise the long, grindy ones. I don't mind a bit of grinding here and there, but there's really nothing fun about battling the same enemies in a certain area for over an hour just to progress. Pacing is very important to me with RPGs.

On the same level as RPGs, I adore games that combine elements from multiple aspects. Sadly, they seem to be even rarer than platformers and tend to go unnoticed I find.

Well, it shouldn't surprise anyone (being that this is an Animal Crossing forum) that life sims are my top favorite. I've always liked the focus on creation/customization (customizing character, building/and or decorating our own homes and the outdoor areas), socializing (not present in every life sim, but is in AC, of course), etc.

I'm also into open world adventure games, because they're so immersive.

I tend to gravitate toward adventure, horror, sims, and indie games. I especially love open-world games where you can explore the beautiful terrain 🤩

Adventure/RPG 100%, and anything with puzzles. I don't play it much anymore but I'll always have a soft spot for horror as well.

Last edited:
I would say RPGs and JRPGs.
My favorit game of all time is Suikoden II (sorry Grandia). I also loved mass effect 1-3, dragon age, elden ring, finalfantasy 5 to 10, Witcher 3, and so much more. I have played tons of different games and also enjoy cozy games like Story of seasons (former harvest moon) and animal crossing.

There are just so many amazing games I want to play and I wilk probably start with baldurs gate 3 soon 🤍

Voted Action, Adventure, Role-Playing, and Horror. Basically FPSs, TPSs, Action RPGs, JRPGs, Platformers, Survival Horrors, etc. Also, it's not really an "official" genre but I like the style of games called "Metroidvanias". I'm really, REALLY addicted to them!

I find myself playing these more often than not.
> platformers that require good button timing (precision platformers?) and have items to collect/find some of these are metroidvanias and some are not.
> farming/crafting with combat
> Monster battling/collecting RPG games.

Monster battling probably wins though because it has the potential to be multiplayer or even MMO.

Back