• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is your favorite Animal Crossing game?

Gene.

currently scrollin myspace ;P
Bells
Switch
1289-5094-0808
Red Pikmin Easter Egg
Kirby Easter Egg
Dreamy Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
Froggy Easter Egg
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Spring Bloom Easter Egg
Prismatic Easter Egg
I'm curious about the favorites other TBTer's favorite Animal Crossing games, any why it's their favorite!

Mine has to be Animal Crossing for the Gamecube, it might just be the nostalgia from childhood but it is my absolute favorite ever.

What's yours?

Well as much as I criticized this game so many times I would have to say Animal Crossing New Horizons. It may not be as great as past AC games but at least it was the game that got me through the pandemic when it first came out in 2020. If it wasn't for this game I would not know what I would do. Despite its flaws it still is a great game to play when you just want to relax.

New Horizons. The biggest feature it added to me was not allowing your villagers to move out without your permission.

It was kinda stressful in the past games knowing you could take a break from the game and come back to see your dreamies have moved out. Took a bit of unnecessary work to prevent that from happening.

Perhaps also due to nostalgia but my fav is also the gc animal crossing. That one had a special kind of flavour with how diverse each day and each villager felt. I spent hours playing that game just talking to my favourite villagers and they really felt like friends. You don't get that same feeling from newer games in my opinion. As much as I love all the customization options in new stuff and how much easier it is to handle weeds and keep villagers, the others just don't capture me endlessly quite the same way as the gc one.

My favorite is AC: City Folk. It probably is the nostalgia though. It felt somewhat special playing the game back then because it was the first game that I played for a very long time. The theme Animal City makes me feel so good even today. It brings me back to simpler times.

It's the one with the most improvements while still being mainly focused on the rural aspect of Animal CrossingNew Leaf. I already explained in detail somewhere around this forum why it's my favorite, but having your (first) character take on Tortimer's role as the Mayor was a huge step forward. And it does away with a lot of issues I had in prior games, such as how villagers moved out. I know people generally prefer how this was handled in NH, but it just makes more sense in this game — you might run the town, but you don't own these animals' lives.

It's not even that difficult to keep the villagers you want, since the game gives you a modest ten-day (if you have the Welcome amiibo update/version) timeframe from the moment they ping you about it, until they leave; other villagers will inform you on this, as well. Best of all, you can still change their mind at any point as long as they aren't already in boxes. Villagers not moving unless they ask for your permission might be great for people who break away from the game for weeks or months at a time, but what we had in NL was already much better than what we had in CF, WW, or the original game.

Last edited:
i honestly don’t have a favourite… i love the 3 mainline games i’ve played (wild world, new leaf and new horizons) equally, but for different reasons.

wild world is my favourite because of the nostalgia that it brings me, and for being my introduction to the series. i love the small events such as the bright nights festival, flower fest, acorn festival (and cornimer!). i love that you have to work for tom nook when you first arrive in town (younger me hated it, but i appreciate it now lol). i love the dialogue and the fact that villagers had different hobbies and interests that could change from week to week. i love the random bulletin board messages and bottled messages that occasionally wash up on the beach, and how weird they were. i love the little silly memories i have from it that stemmed from childhood stupidity and lack of ac experience, such as thinking k.k. slider was asking for real life song requests, and that i’d be able to turn into an animal once i paid off my home loan. i love the whole aesthetic of the game and what it means to me. i may not be able to choose a favourite game, but wild world will always be the most special to me. it also has my favourite OST out of all the games.

new leaf is my favourite partly because it introduced me to the animal crossing community and how awesome it is, and playing/trading with others. it’s also what really got me into the series, despite not being my first game. i remember scanning through the list of all the villagers once that info became available and making dozens of dreamie and character/town name idea lists. i remember watching videos of the japanese version on youtube since it came out first, despite not wanting to spoil anything for myself, because i was so excited. i remember falling in love with beau the lazy deer as soon as i saw him, and how insanely overjoyed i was when he randomly moved into my town. new leaf also brought out the type of ac player i am — one who doesn’t focus much on decorating, but instead on having a complete catalog, completing any and all achievements, having 10 villagers i like, and collecting things i enjoy (ex. villager pics. i had all of them, including the npc photos, at one point. 😁). i also love so many of new leaf’s features — club tortimer and farming rare summer beetles and fish, minigames, town hall and train station exterior customization, tropical and perfect fruits, playing hide-and-seek with villagers, the part-time job minigame at the roost, pwps, the roost being its own building instead of being a part of the museum, cutting down trees with silver axes and getting stumps with special patterns on them, fortune cookies, etc. the little details were also great, such as the campsite turning into an igloo during the winter, as well as your character shivering during the colder months and sweating during the hotter ones. the furniture was *chefs kiss* as well. plus, new leaf is what brought me to tbt, so it’ll always be my favourite for that. <3

new horizons is the only game i still currently play (even though i barely touch it nowadays lol), but it’s still my favourite as well despite the complaints i have with it. the quality is absolutely gorgeous, and it’s honestly one of my top 5 favourite things about the game; the sky and museum exhibits are particularly stunning. i also love all the new and returning villagers, the items, the fact that villagers no longer move out without permission, island hopping, crops and cooking, how much creative freedom we have, being able to relocate buildings whenever we want, and so much more. it also introduced a new favourite npc of mine — wardell <3. new horizons certainly has its flaws, but for everything its gotten wrong, its gotten a lot of things right as well.

my post has essentially turned into “everything i like about each game” (sorry about that haha. 😅), but my point is is that they’re all my favourite. i don’t love any of them more than the other; they’re all great and special to me in various ways. the only one i wouldn’t consider a favourite is pocket camp — not because i didn’t like it or have fun with it, but just because it’s not really my thing. it’s a bit overwhelming for me with how often new events and items/clothing get released, i can only play it for maybe a couple weeks at a time before i get bored and uninstall it, and i haven’t touched it since 2020. :’)

That is a very hard question i started off by playing new leaf which I still play to this day but the other game is still very good

My favorite AC game is definitely New Horizons. It's the AC game I've enjoyed the most, the one I've poured the most time into and the only one I've played daily for months, which has now turned into years! I enjoyed a lot of the things that were added to the game, and it's the only one that I'm actually trying to get 100% completion in.

Probably New Leaf but I don’t know. I’ve only played wild world, new leaf and new horizons so I’ll only talk about them. Each of the games have features that the others don’t which I love. In wild world, I loved working for Tom nook at the start, the forest and the dialogue was a lot of fun. The design of the houses is very different and incredibly nostalgic. There was a lot of fun to be had. New leaf stepped it up with more stuff to do, lots to unlock and work your way towards which was awesome. It also, in my opinion, has the best soundtrack of the three. New Horizons catered to the large number of people (probably the majority of fans) who wanted to design in new leaf, make the best town, make pretty paths, theme it, etc. It gave us every designing tool we could have ever dreamed of but kind of killed the day-to-day life vibe. It’s still very enjoyable, and I love the dlc. New horizons is vastly different to the previous games in the series so it’s hard to compare it in my opinion. For my personal preferences, I prefer new leaf because I feel like it got the balance between the old charm and some designing. It also had the most progression of the three games what with unlocking everything in main street and all.

I like CF, NW, and NH, and feel if you could combine them into 1 game, it would be perfect.

City Folk
They took Wild World and improved it. Even the OST was remastered to sound cleaner and more pleasing. I think City Folk has the best OST of any of the games, but that could just be nostalgia.

I liked City Folk's city more than Main Street from New Leaf, but to be fair, I'm comparing a Wii game to a game on inferior hardware (3DS).

City Folk has decent town maps, and the cliffs and waterfalls look nicer than New Horizons.

New Leaf
This game's version of the city existing within the town was better than having to go there in a bus which was just painful sequence.

I also love having the opportunity to visit DJ K.K. 6 nights a week, which could also be enjoyed with friends if you wanted.

Re-tail store was really cool. Not only could you use this shop to sell items to visitors, or buy items from a host, you could put duplicate fossils here and make a ton of bells by making your villagers buy them.

Among NF and WW/CF, there were was much more attention to holidays. Such as:
  • Groundhog Day
  • Valentines Day
  • April fools Day
  • Flower Fest
  • Explorers Day
  • La-Di Day
  • Yay Day
  • Bright Nights
  • Acorn Festival
  • Labour Day
  • Shamrock Day
  • Weeding Day
  • Summer Solstice
  • Winter Solstice

Controversial: Villagers weren't sunshine and rainbow preschoolers. They actually had likes/dislikes. If you disliked or were mean to them, they'd have no interest in you.

New Horizons has the best graphics and QOL features (minus the now breakable tools), and lets us control placements of buildings, as well as place furniture outdoors. But that's about it. It threw out a lot of other stuff, and made things worse.

- Multiplayer while now having 8 players, is worse than before. There are more restrictions, and the loading screens are longer than ever.
- It took nearly 2 years, but Harv's island was finally converted into something comparable to a city, but it's the worse version, and has a stock that only resets once a week.
- Only 1 upgrade for Nook's. There's no payoff other than the first upgrade obtainable in 1 month.
- Holidays are neglected.
- Villagers love you unconditionally.
- Nothing was readily available at launch. With version v1.0, we were missing a laundry list of things, including all holidays short of New Year's eve.
- K.K. Slider hogs the plaza all day long in Saturdays, and doesn't have a proper place to perform.

If you could add the graphics and QOL of New Horizons and place it in New Leaf, I think New Leaf would be the best game.

My favorite is still New Leaf I have said SO much about this game I love it and still play it all these years later. I have played every American localized Animal Crossing game excluding the applications like Animal Crossing Clock and Calculator So I never played the 1 trillion different ports of AC GCN in Japanese. I may oneday! I love them all but New Leaf is so special. GCN is also SO FUN! Its so different and charming! WW and CF are such an advancement but kind of tedious but thats what makes them fun! New Horizons is such a perfect way to create and express yourself into your island! I love them all because they are so special in their own ways and have their own strengths that make them fun! I love all the soundtracks so much but another thing I love is that New Leafs soundtrack is so similar to the GCN one in certain places like 5pm my favorite! New Leaf was also my first AC game...

It’s New Horizons for me. It’s the game I really dove into. It’s always going to be the most recent game for me, though. I love being part of the hype when a new game comes out. It’s a nice feeling. I’m pretty sure most people can relate, lol.

My favorite is New Horizons mainly because I enjoy all the new decorating features older animal crossing games don't have and I like the new graphics and how I can have villagers without them moving away without my consent.

New Horizons. This series is not iterative like Zelda. It's a make-over sandbox everytime - a bit like Microsoft Office software. There really is no reason to go back to previous versions, since it's the same game being improved upon, and rethought every time for the better.

Definitely New Horizons. I just really like the game a lot. I love all the decorating, designing, and terraforming. It tops all the previous ones.

Some time ago, I opened New Leaf and I found it awful. I was trying to get a QR code and I disliked playing it for that short period. It's better as a memory and nothing more for me.

New Horizons, even though I did have New Leaf I just don’t feel that connected to it…

I played New Leaf when I was a child, so it was kinda messy:
I didn’t save enough money to make my house bigger (In NH I paid off all my loans easy).
I didn’t know how to design (still don’t, but it’s getting better). My town was awful.
All I did was buy clothing items, and it got to the point where my town was basically covered with clothing items since my storage was full (I still buy every clothing item I could, but I updated my storage so it’s all good).
One good thing from my gameplay of NF is my character always looked fashionable.

I do prefer the stores that were already built in (which you just unlock and update rather than help build), and their designs more. There are some things I prefer in NF, tbh. I really liked the separate store street that had everything (which I know is Harv’s island now, but idk I didn’t have to fly each time I wanted to buy a plant). I also liked the club, lol. I got all the reactions fast.

With everything else I think I prefer NH. I like NH’s museum more.

Back