• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What inspired your town?

podunk

professional nerd
Bells
Mango
Mango
Mango
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Perfect Pear
Yellow Bunny Balloon
Green Bunny Balloon
What were the inspiration or inspirations for your town?
I was inspired by the springtime, the yin yang, spider lilies, and villager houses like Snake's and Kabuki's.

Haunton, my main, horror-themed town was inspired by, well, my love of horror. I came up with the town name of Haunton, which is a combination of the word haunting and the suffix -ton used in place names like Boston or Houston. So of course, with a name like that, you've gotta have monsters and oddities lurking about.

We have a mad scientist in the style of Victor Frankenstein (Cobb) and his monstrous creation (Stitches) cobbled together from various parts, a few vampires (Boris and one of my player characters), a mummy (Lucky) and his immortal pharaoh (Ankha), an abominable snowman/yeti (Hans), a couple aliens (Octavian and Marina), a living funerary doll (Coco), and of course a creepy clown (Pietro). Oh, and my mayor is basically a cult leader dedicated to Jack, the Czar of Halloween. I need to get around to finally moving Ankha out and replacing her with Freya, since I don't like repeating villagers across games but moved Ankha into my New Horizons island and I figure Freya can be a werewolf representative.

---

Mesmeri, my circus and magic show town, was initially inspired by my desire to reclaim Mott, the Jock Lion villager. I had him in a town but had him move out to make room for someone who fit the town's theme better, but as the day of his departure approached I felt regret. This ultimately led me to getting another copy of the game so I could have him as a resident again and I figured it should be based on a circus since lions are featured in circuses. I came up with the name from the word mesmerize, which is a synonym of hypnotize and basically means to hold one's attention fully to the exclusion of all else. I thought it sounded neat and appropriate for this grand circus, like the audience will be so captivated by the awesome performance that they won't want to look away.

The mayor is the circus ringmaster and a magician, and her mentor, a mage, is another resident of the town. Tiffany, the Snooty Rabbit villager, is the mayor's magician's assistant because I love her design and liked the reference to the stage magic trick of pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

We have Mott and Rolf as our quintessential circus lion and tiger, Elise and Tammi as our monkey trapeze artists and a group of clowns consisting of Astrid, Astrid's joey, Marcel and another player character.

We also have a few magical creatures roaming about, including Drago the dragon and Julian the unicorn. And last but not least we have Tia, which I like to imagine is a teapot that the mage player character brought to life with their magic. When I decided to make the mentor mage player character, I figured I ought to really lean into the magic aspect.

---

Tanas is my all-bird species town and it features birds, a chicken, a duck, an eagle, a penguin and multiple ostriches. It's partially just based on birds being my favorite type of animal, but it's also partially a reference. The name is a reference to something from Fire Emblem that makes me chuckle.

The four ostriches are Cranston, Flora, Gladys, and Phoebe, Jacques and Robin are the resident birds, Gloria is the resident duck, Hopper is the resident penguin. Finally, Knox and Sterling are the resident chicken and eagle respectively and also serve to defend the town. I'm planning to replace Gladys with Julia once I get the last Normal Public Works Projects suggested from Gladys and no longer need a Normal resident. Love Julia's peacock design, so I just have to.

I have always found beauty and joy being in nature so I planned my town around making the town capture that essence along with a sense of tranquility. :) I love how New Leaf has the Japanese/Zen themed buildings/PWPS which helps ties that feeling in even more.

I actually had a story idea, about a town called Ereta; and it never really happened.
But i really liked the name, so I chose that for my new leaf town. My other town is called Fernweh; and Fernweh means like an urge for travel.

Back