• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What do you want differently/new in the upcoming AC game?

I want celeste to return to having her observatory and have the constellations work like the splatoon 2 posts. IE you draw something, post it, and it it's popular it will appear in peoples skys (with an option to turn this off of course)

I want to be able to write letters to my other friends towns even if they are offline, they will receive it the same as other letters when they login connected to wifi.

I want there to be a custom design 'spotlight'. I want people to be able to post custom designs and if the design receives a lot of thumbs up the able sisters will display it in their store, one a day. A catalog of past spotlight items will be available too, and browsable by themes the maker assigns (regal, cute, sporty, etc) as well as types (long dress, short dress, tee, umbrella etc).

I want a 'camera mode'. A new tool called the camera is introduced. It lets you share screenshots to twitter, but it isn't simply the old screenshot function, you can now use the camera like a 3d viewer and see your town from different perspectives to take a photo. Animals will pose if they are aware of you taking the photo, but they may sneeze or yawn if they aren't 'aware' (ie far away, facing away etc). The camera is upgradeable by taking good photos, and showing them to wendell when he visits town. He will score your photo on composition and such, and if you score enough points you get a camera upgrade. He could also ask for a specific photo like... "Hmm, I really want a picture of a butterfly to use as reference" or .... "I want to paint a cute girl" (meaning find a peppy villager and take a pic of her posing). The upgrades feature different lenses and filters. (think fisheye lens, or high/low saturation images. As well as stickers or filters to put on your photos).

I want cooking in the game. The player gains recipes by talking to villagers, and the villager adds it to the cookbook (an item you can place in your home). Gather up the items and make the food through a minigame with cooking furniture. Performing well at the minigame and using good ingredients (large measurement fish, delicious fruits, etc) will mean high quality food. Giving a high quality meal to a villager will increase your friendship with them a lot. The meals can be placed like furniture, but maybe eating them can affect luck. A new shop opens in town. It's for ingredients. An old lady (maybe a goat, cow, or chikcen) runs the store and has different stock everyday. She also sells one vegetable seed everyday, maybe she can manage stalk market too, seems like a better fit than retail. Think it would be cool if she gave options to trade in bells or rare seeds too, especially since after a while bells aren't worth much in game. If you grow this seed the next day you can either harvest the vegetable and gain another seed, or gain two seeds but no vegetable. Use of fertilzer will result in more seeds or high quality vegetables.

Leif will also sell fruit bush seeds. These will be seasonal, but the player can make a communal green house to raise the seasonal fruit/veg in off seasons, as well as get higher chance of high quality fruit/veg when it's in season.

Working hard to make food will make other villagers like you, and in turn give you more recipes. Rare recipes will be worth a LOT of bells but it takes a long time to get because you need good ingredients as well as high friendship (think things like lobster bisque)

If you use the nintendo online service, you can play the nes games via an nes in your house. If you don't pay for the service the nes item just gives a speech bubble like "Huh, guess it's busted"

There are more winter events to make up for how boring that time of year can be. Cyrus will make seasonal furniture. Winter seasonal furniture would be things like knit set, cozy set, fluffy set. You get the materials for these sets through doing either special quests for villagers or giving meals to villagers. Also villagers will have a higher tendency of getting sick in the winter, but you can prevent them getting sick by giving hearty meals like soup, pot pie etc. If you prevent them getting ill or help them get better you might get the rare seasonal items right away, not just the ingredients. They might also say things like "oh I knit this while I was ill! I thought of you all the time!" and give you a scarf, hat, or gloves. I think having items gained through caring for your villagers will really make people put more effort into who's living in town.

I want the villagers to really seem like they are your friends when you put in a lot of work. I don't NEED them to go back to being mean (though I'd love it) but I think between a player who really treats their villagers with a lot of care, and someone who does not, I think there should be a very different vibe. Players who are best friends will get lots of items like hybrids, seeds for food, maybe new 'bait items' to attract rare bugs and fish, etc. Things that really reward the player for their continued investment in the town.

Yes.... Nintendo gave me too much time to think and now my expectations are too high lol!

• Uniqueness to each villager, less repetition, the ability to ask for errands like in the GCN version.
  • Character customization in creation like in HHD. I assume this will be a no-brainer. It's kind of sad to give up the charming intros like the classic GCN one with Rover, but that could still be done for character name and town name. We just really need a way to select skin color from the onset, and there's just no appropriate way to really do that with Rover. lol
  • Less clunky outdoor furniture system. I get that Animal Crossing is about waiting, but the system for putting down outdoor furniture in NL is so arduous that I could never really get into it. If I'm into that kind of designing, I just go to The Sims.
  • More types of trees and plants. Pocket Camp seems to have added a variety, I'd like to see those transferred over.
  • The ability to decorate the town festively for each for holiday. Of course, all of this would be optional. But I'd really love to be able to decorate the whole town with lights and trees for Christmas.
  • A formal mechanism to trade items.

It's been a while since I've really thought on this, so that's all I have for now. I'm sure there's more!

New Villager species.
Larger villager limit.
Ability to chose where a villager builds there house, or ability to create non residential zones where villagers can't build.
More in-depth conversation with less repetition in dialog.
More PWPs and outside decoration and ability to rotate them like in HHD.
Character customization during creation like in HHD.
More slots for patterns.

• Every single mechanic and furniture item introduced in HHD (not just the room/house design interface but also things like customizing shopfronts and the QR slots)
• The villager limit being upped back to 15 like the Gamecube days
• New villager species, as well as more previously discontinued villagers coming back
• Something like the city in City Folk that's a hub for all the shops, with Celeste back in the observatory and The Roost in/next door to the museum, and more shops
• More ways to design clothing items, like being able to make pro designs for shoes or baseball caps
• Either extended dialogue for villagers, a new personality type per gender, or both
• The terrain mechanic from Pocket Camp
• Customization options for Public Works projects, and maybe even more projects in general

This probably sounds so demanding but I'm honestly just so happy we're getting a game at all and I'm just spitballing in my child-like excitement

@ Timpani The mayor felt like they had a reasonable amount of town control to me, and home design is your job in HHD, but yeah I imagine people here would go wild for that idea to be imported...

I'm uncomfortable by town control things that also intersect with real money, like the Amiibo. Hope its run its course.

Yeah, you're right; I was just basing that off comments I've seen about how people would like to be able to edit animals' homes in future games the way they did in HHD, which just feels like way too much to me. And to your point, since that's your job in HHD, that combined with being mayor would just feel like overkill imo.

@ Kalle they tried letting you draw on "basic templates" with Blanca...look where that got them XD

Warrior, I love those ideas!! At first I was leery about RPG style cooking, because it is often badly implemented, but that does sound like a more fulfilling way to get the HHD food furniture. :)

Last edited:
I have yet even another change I seek.

Have an airport instead of a train station. Or at least introduce an airport for certain types of traveling.

One of the things I want is that little gimmick from Pocket Camp.

As you befriended a villager (camper in this case) you can see their love for you and the campsite increase and decrease with a little heart. They had levels for it as well.

I hope this comes through seeing it would be helpful to keep track of that type of stuff and help keep certain villagers from moving out and such. It could be really helpful.

I think it would be cool if you could change villagers when you want like in Pocket Camp. I don't mind working to invite them to town if it means I can keep them forever if I don't want them to randomly move on me. Pocket Camp also has a lot of pretty new furniture series that I hope are added to the Switch version.

I would also like a way to combine ordinances. I like keeping flowers from wilting, but I also play in the evening so it would be cool to also have shops open later.

Weather features: Fog, windy days, hail, blizzards, icy (slippery)ground, frozen bodies of water, tumbleweed, geodes, meteors,

Player features: Broader skin tone range, freckles, different hair textures, different body types(ie.tall,fat etc.) the ability to climb, jump, crawl, reach, and crouch(what is this, AC:Mario?), the ability to hug villagers, swim faster

Town features: More Villagers, new foliage, visit preset in-game villages in your own RV(or by plane) and convince villagers to move to your town or move to theirs, visit Special NPC houses (ie. Able Sisters, Gracie, etc), puddles, hills, buy and place sidewalks/pathways/turf instead of grass deterioration, new buildings, new Public Works Projects(if we get that), bigger towns, different town types; beach towns, country towns, city towns, futuristic towns, campgrounds ect., environment is affected when town is dirty(ie. water turns brown, trees die, less fish etc.)

Villager features: New species; Lizards, bats, ferrets, geese/swans, rats. Baby villagers, monster villagers, New villager types; Shy/skittish, lying/thief. More in depth personalities, villagers can get jobs

Mall features: A grocery store, a bakery, a landscaping store, a travel agency,a restaurant/gas stop

House features: More rooms, more space, more storage, more levels, a swimming pool, patio, cellar, balconies, penthouses, the ability to use more than one wallpaper in one room, chandeliers, functional fencing, functional ac/heater

Other features: Sunscreen for sunburn, the ability to get sick, bigger island, different island games, the ability to make food dishes, the ability to initiate tasks/games etc. the way villagers can, the ability to write to your parents and Special NPCs, the ability to hang villager pictures on walls, the ability to invite NPCs to the island, carnivals, go to the wisp realm(I don't know what that is but it sounds cool), being affected by hot/cold weather, swim in all bodies of water, get bit by fish with teeth

This is all I can think of right now. I of what I have written I have seen in previous posts.

Last edited:
It'd be nice to see more textures in clothes.

I noticed that clothes in AC are just flat designs, which is fine! But it'd be nice to see some textures pop out of the clothes.
For example, if a dress has frills design, it'd be nice to see them pop out. Or joggers that poof out a bit at the ankles. Little details like that would be nice tbh

I actually hope we dont see more town-control options: I dont want to control where the villagers go, etc, cos then it feels a little less like a living breathing little town and more like a game.. if that makes sense.

I would like personalities that are more fleshed out like in population: growing, and maybe also the random treasure hunts that the notice board would send you on (obviously, not as easy to do without the acre system but they were fun, if they existed and all and i'm not making things up!)

Bigger villages is always a plus. Prettier clothing for us un-artistic types that can't pattern their own :p

And Blathers' original personality, please! <3

I actually hope we dont see more town-control options: I dont want to control where the villagers go, etc, cos then it feels a little less like a living breathing little town and more like a game.. if that makes sense.

I agree. That is exactly what caused me to dislike Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. There was so much control over the town, that it ruined the feeling of living in a town. Games like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon, where part of the whole theme is that you're a resident of a 'living' town, shouldn't become sandbox games.

Last edited:
I'm so hyped already lol, these are quite unrealistic but I can always dream ?\_(ツ)_/?

- way more pattern storage
- ability to place patterns down more quickly, perhaps using the touchscreen
- more character customization
- better villager dialog and interaction
- ability to place all furniture outside like in hhd
- the little half-spaces from hhd for when you're placing down furniture
- bigger towns
- more trees, flowers and bushes
- ability to do something about rocks, even if I couldn't destroy them I would love to be able to move them
- none or decreased grass deterioration
- new clothing models, like longer skirts
- some options for long hair
- greater range of emotions for players and villagers
- pets! or, if not, fake cats like the fortune-cookie dogs
- ability to type longer messages to friends
- new weather conditions (fog, wind, snow storms etc)
- more customization options for town
- ability to choose or influence where villagers live
- all the pocketcamp furniture! +brand new furniture

It's rather a hefty list but let's see what happens :blush: minipandinha (4).gif

I would also like a way to combine ordinances. I like keeping flowers from wilting, but I also play in the evening so it would be cool to also have shops open later.

I WAS THINKING THAT TOO!! it feels so annoying and so boring to only ever have my beautiful town ordinance, but i can't switch it to a night owl ordinance because i don't play often enough to take care of all my important flowers!!! if we're still mayors (i think we probably will be), we should have more ordinances to choose from (maybe more can be unlocked the longer we're mayor? or maybe even villagers can suggest them to us like they do with PWPs!) and we should be able to have more than one at a time. i think maybe the price should increase with each ordinance too, to keep us from too much control at once, you know?

-Choice of changing your face anytime

-More hair and color options (there's like 2 long hair options for boys, two short hair styles for girls, and worst of all No Mullets!)

-Cap the player town name limit to 10 or 12, just bigger!

-Cooking? Like, you collect ingredients like fish and fruit and combine them with ingredients from a new food store. Food would be great for favors, you could sell it off for a nice profit, and bring it to parties (see my next point for details).

-Parties! You get pricey custom RSVP note cards from Nooklings, and you can invite people to your house! You can decide activities, what fashion theme they should dress, and food and stuff they should bring. Maybe if you pull of the party well you get a hefty amount of friend points. If you don't promise stuff on the list, the points given will be lower, or may subtract from the friend meter

-Bring back the heart system from Pocket Camp. It's like the only thing useful in that game.

None of this will probably make it into the next game, but those are my ideas.

I may seem mean but all of these cooking ideas just don't sound right to me...like I just don't see the character cooking or anything...I mean it's possible but I'd take soooo much time and effort to include in the game I don't think that's gonna be in the game.
But hey, who know ! Maybe we'll see villagers cooking aswell and we'll have a restaurant as a PWP or something !

I may seem mean but all of these cooking ideas just don't sound right to me...like I just don't see the character cooking or anything...I mean it's possible but I'd take soooo much time and effort to include in the game I don't think that's gonna be in the game.
But hey, who know ! Maybe we'll see villagers cooking aswell and we'll have a restaurant as a PWP or something !

I don't think it would take that much time. All the animal crossing assets basically already exist in hd so if they don't add any new features they could pump out a game... whenever. I think with how profitable animal crossing is (12 million copies of acnl sold) they def have the man power and budget to add a lot of new features. It might seem like a lot now, but adding the mayor gameplay would seem like a huge leap from city folk, and it was - but that's what we're paying them for lol. Lots of new features. Let's hope they surprise us with features we can't even imagine!

Back