• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smash Bros What do you think about the SSB4 tiers?

Zandy

Sona's Boyfriend <3
Bells
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
Green Candy
Red Candy
Voodoo Doll
Happy Home Designer Token
Cherry (Fruit)
I'm just curious what you guys think of the SSB4 tiers? Do you think that certain characters are inherently better than others? Do you think that certain characters are placed too high or too low on the tiers? If customized characters could be accounted for - who do you think would make the top of the tiers and what customizations would you apply to them ^^?

This is reddit's most current one for reference, just 2 days old.
cEhmRk2.jpg

Okay,so my problems with this:
-Samus is worse than Zelda tbh, but it's probably to have the "Zelda is the best and worst character in the game" joke running.
-Mii Swordfighter is way better than Mewtwo lol. Swordfighter has useful moves and doesn't die at like 60%.
-Pit and Dark Pit should always be right next to each other because they're so similar. ROB shouldn't be between them.
-Speaking of ROB, he should be a bit lower because barely anybody plays as him and he doesn't really have anything notably good that makes him stand better than a few characters below him, like Lucas, Peach, and Greninja.
-Pikachu is no way 2nd best in the game. He's very good, but I don't think he's top 3 good. Top 5, sure. But 2nd just doesn't sound right...
-Diddy is too high. He doesn't have anything really good anymore, should be in maybe B.
-Put Sonic above Mario and Fox because lol side b spam
-Biggest problem is that Wii Fit Trainer is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too low. ZeRo just uploaded a video today saying she's possibly top 15. So why is she 1 away from being in the bottom 15?!?!?!?!??!? I'd say B+ honestly, but no way is she in B- or lower.

There's some other stuff I'd change, but that's mostly it.

1 more thing, Game and Watch is really awkwardly high. he's the 3rd(?) lightest in the game and has decent kill potential, but no safe way to use it.

Last edited:
A good Zelda can beat a decent Shiek any day of the week! :)

Or a good Shiek for that matter

Last edited:
Thank you for the reference PuffleKirby!

Zelda - Definitely deserves a bump up. She needs some fine tuning but overall she has some potential. I think Zelda is especially good when someone is able to master her in the air because her air combos can be a serious threat.

Captain Falcon - I think he should be moved down to be honest. He has good strength but his moves are predictable and I've always found him rather easy to dodge.

Pacman - I think he should be lowered too. His side B is rather easy to dodge on the ground and gets cancelled pretty easily with other moves. His down B is difficult to make an effective attacking move, and his up B leaves him rather vulnerable in the air.

I think Palutena needs some tweaking though. I've been playing with a customized Palutena and find her a LOT more effective when her speed and attack are increased to sacrifice defence and she has the following moves:

- Explosive Flame
- Super Speed
- Rocket Jump
- Light Weight

Zelda, Samus and Mewtwo definitely shouldn't be that low.

Sheik is top teir? BETTER NERF SHEIK

I honestly don't get the better nerf Greninja joke since he's right in the middle. Lower than that actually.

Jiggly should be higher. Although Rest is a hard move to land, it makes her very powerful.

Gunner and Swordfighter should be higher.

Peach should be higher but I'm biased because she's my main. Although she has the 2nd shortest jump in the game, she's really good if you play her right unlike me. Plus, that float makes up for her eh recovery.

I think Palutena needs some tweaking though. I've been playing with a customized Palutena and find her a LOT more effective when her speed and attack are increased to sacrifice defence and she has the following moves:

- Explosive Flame
- Super Speed
- Rocket Jump
- Light Weight

Well that list doesn't include custom moves except maybe for Miis. Palutena is really good with them, but she doesn't have much without them.

Well that list doesn't include custom moves except maybe for Miis. Palutena is really good with them, but she doesn't have much without them.

Haha, yeah I know xP. Her standard moves makes her uncompetitive especially with how slow and lacklustre they are ><.

Im not a big fan of tier lists, but they do help me with knowing who is difficult and who is easy to use. Although tier lists are helpful, people often think that people are noobs because they're using a high tier person, which annoys me. It also causes people to think of characters as "overrated". If these didn't exist then people wouldn't think "Oh, they must just be using a good person because they're crap" even though every character takes skill to play.

Unrelated to topic, but sweet Magi signature and icon. Now, back on topic I think Marth is way too low. His shield popping ability comes in handy a really good amount of the time. The best part about it is changing predictability. You charge it at different lengths to keep the opponent from catching onto your rhythm. Also, his agility and strong tipper hits make him a great fighter. I do really well with him online and it honestly makes me sad to see him so low. That's why I don't follow tiers though. A lot of the top characters on those lists I see more spam than anything.

Last edited:
I see it as more of a user friendly list than a tier list. Characters higher up the top are easier for newbies to use, whilst the ones lower down aren't as user friendly. Every character is as good as each other if you know how to use them. But ofc some will be better than others but that doesn't mean confirmed win just coz ur using tier 1

Tier list are Sakurai's guide of who to nerf and buff by this point.

Also based on that reddit tier list, I think it's pretty accurate except for maybe falco (who should be a bit higher) and Mii Brawler (who should be lower due to lackluster recovery).

- - - Post Merge - - -

-Speaking of ROB, he should be a bit lower because barely anybody plays as him and he doesn't really have anything notably good that makes him stand better than a few characters below him, like Lucas, Peach, and Greninja.
-Biggest problem is that Wii Fit Trainer is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too low. ZeRo just uploaded a video today saying she's possibly top 15. So why is she 1 away from being in the bottom 15?!?!?!?!??!? I'd say B+ honestly, but no way is she in B- or lower.

Well... ROB does have a confirmed kill throw combo (down throw too Up-B which kills at crazy high percents with rage), he has some of the best projectiles in the game, and also he is hard to kill.

*also this is my opinion but I take alot of stuff that ZeR0 says with a grain of salt, he usually makes things better than they seem*

Unrelated to topic, but sweet Magi signature and icon. Now, back on topic I think Marth is way too low. His shield popping ability comes in handy a really good amount of the time. The best part about it is changing predictability. You charge it at different lengths to keep the opponent from catching onto your rhythm. Also, his agility and strong tipper hits make him a great fighter. I do really well with him online and it honestly makes me sad to see him so low. That's why I don't follow tiers though. A lot of the top characters on those lists I see more spam than anything.

Thanks! I love your avatar and signature too ^^. Where are they from?

I agree with Marth though. I would bump him up a bit because he's a very agile character and has some unique attack combinations that are difficult to avoid when executed correctly.

Thanks! I love your avatar and signature too ^^. Where are they from?

I agree with Marth though. I would bump him up a bit because he's a very agile character and has some unique attack combinations that are difficult to avoid when executed correctly.

You're welcome and thank you! Mine is of Roxas from Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, he's a great character with the right execution. A lot of the characters I use are actually on the lower side of that list. I mainly use them because their playstyle is fun. Robin is slow and his projectiles are limited, but I love using him because his playstyle is unique and he is a very balanced character in my opinion. I don't see how he could ever spam or be abused. I do use Rosalina as one of my mains who is higher up, but I honestly play better with Marth.

You're welcome and thank you! Mine is of Roxas from Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, he's a great character with the right execution. A lot of the characters I use are actually on the lower side of that list. I mainly use them because their playstyle is fun. Robin is slow and his projectiles are limited, but I love using him because his playstyle is unique and he is a very balanced character in my opinion. I don't see how he could ever spam or be abused. I do use Rosalina as one of my mains who is higher up, but I honestly play better with Marth.

Wow, I didn't even recognize him xD.

And haha, I'm the same way! I really like using Ike and Shulk though they're not too high on the tier list. Rosalina is also pretty fun to play as too and is one of my mains as well, but she is probably the only high tiered character I can manage xP.

Back