What do you consider when trying to choose your villagers?

yuujinchou

Bells
New Horizons Token
i've been talking about this with some friends, and find it really interesting to see what different people prioritize!

for me, i usually try to get all the personalities for the variety. but then, after that, i usually try to choose villagers that feel thematically appropriate for my town. i also tend to not go for the popular ones as much? because i end up seeing them a lot, i try to choose other villagers instead! (unless they're a character that i reaaaally love.) i've also been taking house exteriors into consideration this time, too!

bonus: feel free to share which villagers you have based on this!

I have to agree on the personalities for variety!! It’s hard, because there’s times where if I had the chance I’d have had 5 crankies and nothing else lmao! But I know it’ll liven up my experience overall.

After that... it’s hard to say! Some villagers I have nostalgia for, some I vibe with aesthetically... though I do love autumn-themed villagers like Poppy and Deirdre.

I too look for certain personalities to ensure I have a nice variety of villagers. It's nice to hear different things from the villagers and having a variety of personalities allows that. I also look for villagers that I like the aesthetic of and think would feel comfortable on my island

i feel you on the popularity bit!! marshal was my ride or die for 3/4 years when i played new leaf Obsessively , but seeing now that hes always been and still is Super sought after - doesnt make me like him any less- but makes me not want him on my island because ive already "seen" a lot of him. i like to keep it fresh!!

i let the game do most of the picking for me, i like the idea of getting a villager i wouldnt necessarily think i wanted but over time fall in love with b/c of their habits/ personality/ or even just getting used to them!! tho i will agree also that getting diffrnt types of personalities is something im looking for, because the dialogue can be lacking in originality sometimes. i love bluebear and bianaca but i couldnt. handle any more peppy fhgjhw!!!!

I think about their personalities and try to get at least one of each aside from jock. But I also like to pair villagers as neighbors and think of how they'd be together! Their appearance is definitely a factor too. I have a friend holding Tasha for me because she's just so endearing to me. I have a soft spot for snooties.

i try to get atleast one of each personality, but mostly it's just based on looks + a bit of nostalgia for ones that ive had in past towns

Depends on the theme I have in my town. For New Leaf, I really didn't have anything in mind, so I just took in anyone I like.

But for NH, I am striving to actually have a theme going on, which is a fitness-themed island. So I'm considering the personalities and their sub-types.

while my island has a theme, i don’t choose villagers to go with that theme. for me, i mainly chose ones that i loved back in new leaf and villagers that i’ve grown fond of since aha

Different species and different personalities. I already broke that rule by having Raymond (smug cat) when my dreamies are Marshal (smug) and Rosie (cat). Marshal and Rosie are a must in my island.

I like having one of each personality type and 5 male/female. I think I want my final 10 to all have the cute little circular blush marks on their face (u know what I mean, 4 of my current villagers in sig have it) just because it's adorable. I'll have to make an exception for keeping Pietro even though he has a weird tear drop/no blush. I kind of want Graham, my unpopular fav, for nostalgia too. But maybe not because I'd rather have 2 cranky than 2 smug.

I have to agree on the personalities for variety!! It’s hard, because there’s times where if I had the chance I’d have had 5 crankies and nothing else lmao! But I know it’ll liven up my experience overall.

same here!! crankies have always been my favourites and i'm at least trying to have different ones this time!

i feel you on the popularity bit!! marshal was my ride or die for 3/4 years when i played new leaf Obsessively , but seeing now that hes always been and still is Super sought after - doesnt make me like him any less- but makes me not want him on my island because ive already "seen" a lot of him. i like to keep it fresh!!
yep, that's exactly what happened to me! had him in my old town, and he'd be perfect for my current one - but he's so popular i feel like i should choose someone else!

I like to have one of each personality type, I like to have that variety! I pretty much just pick villagers that I like the designs of or who grew on me. I try to have like pairs of the different species. Like I have Moe and Tom who are cats, Fauna and Fuchsia who are deer, Poppy and Peanut who are squirrels. Although, with this I have now ended up wanting six squirrels on my island.

i have five absolute top tier favorite villagers:
kiki and ribbot have been my favorites since ACGC and I adore them. I have to have them in my town in every game or it just doesn't feel like animal crossing.

diana and octavian were my favorites in ACNL. I had Octavian in Wild World as well but really fell in love with him in New Leaf. And Diana was just so charming.

Finally, Bianca. She was my first Peppy villager to move in in New Horizons, but I just absolutely fell in love with her look and personality and I am so attached to her now.

I have 4/5 of those villagers (just need Diana and I have her Amiibo) but other than that I'm just winging it and inviting random villagers I meet on the islands to move in. So far I've had Buzz, Velma, Greta, Biff, Julian (forced camper), Pippy, Skye, Tia, and Biskit. I'm really starting to love Biskit as well. I've really been enjoying rotating villagers and finding new favorites. I NEVER thought I would EVER like Velma, but I actually really enjoyed her for the three weeks she was in my town!

absolutely everything, lol. appearance, uniqueness, house exterior, house interior, personality, datamined interest category, whether i've had them before (tend to go for ones i haven't bc i find it more fun to explore anew), etc. it's all a component bc my island is heavily considered but also because i usually trade for them and i don't wanna get them and then not enjoy them (eunice, you taught me a valuable lesson with your house XD)
above all tho - it's instant connection! i fell in love with agnes and drift and stu quite abruptly - something about each of their designs is just very sweet and delightful to me, i get a fervent joy out of just watching them exist in my island. 🥰 that's the most important feature of a potential villager - do they simply make you happy

I make sure to have a variety of everything I can when it comes to villagers. Only 2 repeat personalities, and no repeat species. Besides that, I base my preferences on what villagers I think look the nicest

I always try to get villagers I've never had before, and try not to have too many of the same species (which is hard because I really love a lot of deer and cats)

i try to aim for one of each personality, however i dont have an uchi on my list this time because the only uchi villager I like is one Katt and I've already had her in my NL town

After that I just pick the ones I think look the best, this time around I've been collecting more villagers that fit my wintery vibe (which also doesnt help with me hoarding deer and wolves but i cant help it i love them so much)

i've been talking about this with some friends, and find it really interesting to see what different people prioritize!

for me, i usually try to get all the personalities for the variety. but then, after that, i usually try to choose villagers that feel thematically appropriate for my town. i also tend to not go for the popular ones as much? because i end up seeing them a lot, i try to choose other villagers instead! (unless they're a character that i reaaaally love.) i've also been taking house exteriors into consideration this time, too!

bonus: feel free to share which villagers you have based on this!
Cuteness and looks, if they ain't cute they aren't staying in my town. Personality is also key!

I don't bother trying to get every personality because there are some personalities I just don't like. I'd rather have villagers I enjoy having than ones I hardly ever talk to just for the sake of variety. I pick favorites based on looks, personality (out of the ones I do like), their houses, favorites from past games, and how attached I get to them.

That being said, I currently have three smug villagers I'm attached to, and none of them are the two I planned on getting, so whoops. Guess I'm going to have five smug villagers. Now I gotta figure out who to drop from my list of planned villagers, but it's a struggle. I'm not letting myself invite any more smug villagers to my town, even if I think it's only going to be temporary (because that's what got me into this situation in the first place).

In New Leaf I had many islands over the years as it wasn't a one game per console rule..I really have to say they're missing out on a lot of money by doing that because a lot of people like me over the years but many copies of New Leaf to have different towels and what I did was made my original town all wolves, then I had one that was all sheep, all deer, half goats half pigs, so I did it by species until later when I started to a group like two together of the species whose personalities fit and then 2 of another... So what's new leave I managed to get all of my dreams. of course with a new game comes new characters and new limitations *so want Audie* I mean a wolf that isn't snooty or cranky come on about time I know there was Kyle, Skye, Wolf Link, and Vanessa added last game and one other I forget too lazy to search for his card but never a peppy,/,lazy/jock wolf so very very excited to hope that I can find Audi. That aside since there is only one town per switch if they knew how much money people who bought duplicates there with not have done that but okay so with that being said I thought about my very first movie of town before I turned it until wolves and transplanted them to my other towns because I did have two 3 DS's it was a little bit cheaper than two switches and one was a Christmas gift but before I was able to do that or have someone hold the game actually gave me a tell him that I loved before I realized that I could control the mall being one species when I think back about it my original town for New Leaf gave me Fang, Diana, Maple, Alfonso, Frita,, Lionel,Bangle, Antonio, Cherry and Julian and I knew no trading or switching I loved them and felt bad when I made it all wolves. So with this town because I always wanted a town where every thing was pretty random for New Leaf just went through was there be there butI didn't do that I decided to go ahead and take my favorites from the species towns by twos. My favorite of the town's I made that were all one species was deer because there was every type of villager and there was exactly 10 deer until new additions came later. So having different personalities does matter and even if I don't like jocks very muchthe peppy villagers do and I want things to be pretty rounded I don't know if this game has I need like the other games for certain types because you had to unlock things with certain types but now that's not a factor so I see a lot of people don't have jocks and that's a different topic because I have a few that I would suggest to anyone who needed one and didn't like the type. I'm sorry this is long but answering this question actually made me wonder if I wanted to restart my town and not and that's with it as much or try to control it as much as far as villagers go because I do still have new leaf and sometimes I feel happy for the people who get the game and they haven't played animal crossing before and they just have who they have and don't look up ways to change that they just run across what they like on the island and take it and keep their first 10 but I would be a hypocrite if I said having species towns or pairings that you like together wasn't something I like but I do have more appreciation for variety are the personalities because for a while in my wolves town that I made it was very monotonous because for a while there were only male cranky and female Snooty wolves and they were all so cute but they would say the same thing all five of my male villagers would say the same thing aside Kyle so I did get really excited when the new arrivals came in.. since I did spend 50000 miles looking for audie and not finding herand having given up Maddie who I have never heard of even though I have her amiibo card and she was so sweet she was probably one of my favorite original 10 I would say the first time players just get who your get and don't look at ratings and if someone asks to leave and their time has come let them leave let another random move in that's what I would say and I would say to my self when new Leaf first came out to do anything I wanted with the other towns but not to change anyone in the original town before I knew that you could lol...because after a while they aren't even on main Street anymore and you can't remember who you started with unless you wrote it down which I have my animal crossing notebooks :). I felt like I was telling a little story there and I kind of was because I used talk to text it's easier with my disability so hopefully there aren't too many typos if there are forgive me I don't see them when they happen and then the phone/tablet does it afterwards. I am wondering though if I'd say about a month in maybe 5 weeks and if I should restart because I honestly didn't know anything about looking for animals on Islands or how anything was going to go really I wish I could keep my Island progress and restart villagers but I can use New Leaf to make a random town...I would definitely make sure you have all the personalities and maybe let your last 2 villagers be random at least the campsite villager is random so I would say give them a good month try and when they ask to leave let them if you don't like them. Again sorry that was long but with quarantine and being sick and playing the game a lot there's a lot of nostalgia thinking back to everything I learned through all the previous games that I played and I didn't start till city folk but I do have a soft spot for the villagers that or original originals in my city folk and first New Leaf town and sad feel like I got that experience from this new game because I was already planning who I wanted because I had all the amiibos collected so for people out there who don't have amiibo cards and it's their first game I would say just enjoy it and don't look at any list of popularity. Love all my fellow AC family out there young older and in bt like me.

Back