• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What did you look for in your map & why

i wanted the lil circle in the middle to put my house, a yellow airport as its my favourite colour, rectangle grass bc classic, and cherries as they're like my animal crossing fruit i always have! Aaanndd I got all of it on my very first go!! I genuinely screamed i was prepared to be resetting all night

I just picked between the four options on my first go through, but I liked this one because Resident Services wasn't far from the airport, and both were south-centralish. And I liked that there was an island from when my river separates and then comes back together. I have a big main area where RS, the museum, Nook's Cranny, the Able Sisters, my house, and my 8 villagers are and there's still space for at least one if not two more villager houses. I also liked that one of the ponds was long (it's up on the tippytop cliff on the left, with the river source on the top right), and the peninsula (on the right, with the dock on the left). I was bummed the peninsula was too small for my house but I might try to terraform it to be big enough to fit my house, we'll see.

I dont recall ever seeing an orange airport... I've only seen red blue yellow and green?!?!?!?!
Post automatically merged:

i wanted the lil circle in the middle to put my house, a yellow airport as its my favourite colour, rectangle grass bc classic, and cherries as they're like my animal crossing fruit i always have! Aaanndd I got all of it on my very first go!! I genuinely screamed i was prepared to be resetting all night
What do you mean rectangle grass???

There's rectangle grass?!

I just wanted a blue airport, and it took about 2 hours of resetting to get that. The rest I'm very happy with!

I wanted a moat or that obscure island within the island but none of my choices were that. So I settled on double waterfalls on the cliffs and called it a day.

I took a lot of note in where the rivers met the ocean, and the location of resident services since they were the two things I knew I couldn’t change whatsoever. I also wanted a map that I immediately had an idea of where things could go even before terraforming. Terraforming is a fun feature but I didn’t want to have to rely on it (good call on my part considering how cliff and water editing are a complete nightmare to use).

After all that, I wanted peaches and a blue airport... I spent over a day resetting, but I eventually found a map I clicked with and I’m still having a lot of fun with it. I just started laying down paths!

The only grass in New Horizons is triangle grass.

I reset for a solid 5 or 6 hours to get a map I liked — Resident Services somewhat centered, west and south river mouths, apples... That might not sound like much (because it isn't), but I was very picky. In hindsight, I kind of regret some aspects of it. Like, I can definitely deal with it and I don't want to reset now, but now that I'm actually trying to map things out it's kind of janky. It'll add some extra challenge, I suppose!

I looked for a central Airport, a Resedent Services that is close to the lower center, and a river exit on the side of the map.

No real reason why. It was an arbitrary decision.

I'm gonna be completely honest...

The map I chose was right at the beginning (as in, I never bothered to reset), and I chose it because it had a heart-shaped pond on it. That was it. Hahaha.

But I've decided to make a heart-themed island out of it, so that little whim paid off with a fun idea! Terraforming lets you change a lot of things, which is fantastic.

I dont recall ever seeing an orange airport... I've only seen red blue yellow and green?!?!?!?!

i me

I'm so stupid I literally said triangle in my head and typed rectangle. Defo triangle! Idek if you can get other types in this game but going off NL I knew I wanted triangle! So sorry for the silly confusion!!

literally all i wanted was a double south river outlet (idk why, i just they're better for me?) and a resident services building that was plopped in the center as much as possible since i wanted a central "town square" that was separated from everything else. thankfully, i found a map in the first selection!

I just.. really, really didn't want pears. With my original island plan I also wanted my secret beach to be towards the middle, but I settled with it a little off center and I prefer it that way now, honestly. I also didn't want my river mouths to both be on the bottom, too much activity going on there, would rather space them out. I'm really happy with the island I picked, but after resetting once because I got pears, my sister fruit is pears.. Oh well.

I reset for a bit under 2 hours aha. Main thing I wanted was apples (coincidentally they've been my native fruit in all past games and now I'm attached). Other things: airport and resident services in line (map I stuck with it's a little off but close!), resident services near bottom (mine is just under the middle almost kept going because of this but my brother convinced me to stop), large strip of grass overlapping beach (had plans for lighthouse, it fits but it's a bit smaller than I would've liked), wanted south and west river exits (absolutely didn't want two south exits, might've settled for south and east but thankfully didn't have to), didn't want an orange airport but I actually forgot about this until I visited the airport on day 2 thankfully mine is blue ^^

Layout, fruits being pears and certain native flower. Ended up figuring out the flower I wanted seemed to be unavailable due to my birthday, and gave up on flowers.

I just picked one of the first ones that got presentated to me.
I don't like to spend a ton of time into getting the "perfect" map, if I can change it later on anyways.
The airport is near the residental service, that's all what mattered to me!

i reset for peaches and two non-ugly villagers (my first attempt landed me diva and mott)! i chose a map with a resident services building that was close to the dock, and had a lot of space in the middle!

For some reason, I wanted both of my river mouths to be on the south. That’s about it! I didn’t know about the other tiny details until later, but by the time I found out I was happy with what I got. c:

All I really cared about on the map was the river mouths being on the left and bottom. When it comes to fruit I just didn't want peach because I once had back to back AC towns with peach as the natrual fruit and I just don't find them pretty to look at.

So when I saw cherries it was a go.

That was my first island. :)

Back