• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What accent is Kicks supposed to have?

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
When he says "awright" or "you buyin'?" I picture him having a New York accent, but the "chum" makes me wonder if he's supposed to be Cockney.

I always imagined it to be cockney simply because his general aesthetic is more akin to British stereotypes than American. He looks a bit like how Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol is often represented in media, albeit with a considerably less... shall we say... impoverished look to him.

I always imagined it to be cockney simply because his general aesthetic is more akin to British stereotypes than American. He looks a bit like how Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol is often represented in media, albeit with a considerably less... shall we say... impoverished look to him.
That makes sense. For whatever reason I thought his outfit reminded me of the characters in Newsies so maybe that’s why I thought he was more New York.

Considering his character and career path, I'd saying something like Brooklyn, New York. I never really paid attention to his dialogue to be honest

I always got a Cockney vibe from Kicks, myself, because of his use of "chum," "cracking," and "crikey."

1:30:14 C (Kicks - chum).jpg
1:29:14 C (Kicks at the Roost).jpg

6:22:13 B (Kicks - CRIKEY!).jpg

He looks a bit like how Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol is often represented in media, albeit with a considerably less... shall we say... impoverished look to him.

He looks much more impoverished in City Folk, where he appears to just live on the stoop of an abandoned building, waiting and hoping for people to hire his services as a shoeshine, and he doesn't even have a shirt.

iu

I'm glad he was able to improve his situation in subsequent games. He has a proper shoe store in New Leaf, and he talks about how happy he is to be there sometimes when he's at the Roost.

2:1:14 G (Kicks at The Roost).jpg
2:1:14 H (Kicks at The Roost).jpg

2:1:14 I (Kicks at The Roost).jpg
2:1:14 J (Kicks at The Roost).jpg

I basically just imagine him sounding like one of those olde tymey newspaper boys that you always see in movies and television. So, yeah...the cockney accent was pretty much what I had imagined from the start. I think the fact that he is a skunk is an intentional nod at him being "unwanted" or cast aside as well. He's basically an impoverished street youth...just trying to make enough to survive.

I imagine him with an Italian accent.
Lovely! You mean Italian New York or Italian-Ital
I basically just imagine him sounding like one of those olde tymey newspaper boys that you always see in movies and television. So, yeah...the cockney accent was pretty much what I had imagined from the start. I think the fact that he is a skunk is an intentional nod at him being "unwanted" or cast aside as well. He's basically an impoverished street youth...just trying to make enough to survive.
Right! His outfit reminds me of Newsies (a movie about newspaper boys in the 1890s), so I pictured him sounding more New York, but I see the Cockney aspect as well.
Also the theory about him being an unwanted skunk is clever. It’s definitely possible.

Back