• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Villager Moving Rumors (guide)

It seems that every villagers has a "best friend" (the one that they give gifts to, visit, etc, and the definitive way to tell this is the villager that goes to their birthday party is their best friend) and that villager is usually the one who says something about a villager moving. For example, Wendy is best friends with Willow, so she tells me when Willow wants to move
It could just be a coincidence though

Can someone else independently confirm this? This will save me from some unnecessary reloading the game over and over to talk to everyone at least once.

Also, can someone also confirm or dis-confirm that the villager has to be outside?

Thanks for the great guide!

I feel like I've done enough cycling to confirm this.
While the villager will ALWAYS be outside, it's important to keep in mind that they might be doing something that prevents them from pinging, such as fishing, watering flowers, shaking trees or pulling weeds (just during the animation) or even having fleas! If you've gone a few days without a ping while cycling and you notice that someone is fishing, there's a good 90% chance that they want to move. Simply save & quit and come back to see if they're still fishing / doing whatever. If the villager has a flea, you need to remove the flea first and then save & quit :)
Hope that helps!

EDIT: as mentioned below, attending someone else's birthday party also counts as an action that would NOT make someone ping (they are technically outside *shrug*)!!

Last edited:
It seems that every villagers has a "best friend" (the one that they give gifts to, visit, etc, and the definitive way to tell this is the villager that goes to their birthday party is their best friend) and that villager is usually the one who says something about a villager moving. For example, Wendy is best friends with Willow, so she tells me when Willow wants to move
It could just be a coincidence though

Yeah, I think it might be easier to get some information out of certain villagers. This happened to me when Lolly wanted to move. Lucky and O'Hare (esp O'Hare since she was over at his house a couple of times) told me just after a couple of convos (like less than 5 tries) that Lolly was moving. Same for Pietro and Rolf haha

The ONLY time I've known the mover to not be outside was on a different villager's birthday - the moving villager was helping celebrate.

This happened a long time ago in Lancre (which I have not played in for a while) and more recently in a cycling town.

I find sometimes that I get moving/otherwise rumors more quickly out of villagers who are in their houses.
If the villager is inside his/her own house, there is no chance that THEY are moving.

༼∩ ?́ ヮ ?̀ ༽⊃━☆゚. * ・ { B U M P } ・ 。゚☆━੧༼ ?́ ヮ ?̀ ༽୨

This is very handy in helping players to determine whether anyone is thinking of moving.

Bump.

Really helpful thread. I showed this thread to my friend last night because they just lost a villager and I wanted to help them for future reference. Also helped me.

Villager rumors saved me from losing TWO dreamies before. Rosie had told me how Ruby was thinking of leaving, and then surprisingly enough, a few days later Ruby comes and tells me that Mira is thinking of leaving. Seriously, this guide can save lives and hearts.

Villager rumors saved me from losing TWO dreamies before. Rosie had told me how Ruby was thinking of leaving, and then surprisingly enough, a few days later Ruby comes and tells me that Mira is thinking of leaving. Seriously, this guide can save lives and hearts.

Agreed. I'm sorta glad it got bumped up and I honestly wish it was Stickied at the top of this forum. I pmuch live my (virtual) life by this guide.

Bump!

I thought I'd bump this again because I keep seeing people lose thier villagers. It's an incredibly useful method of keeping dreamies in place, and it always works if you follow it exactly

I have never lost a villager that I wanted to keep because I use this guide. I go on loooong hiatuses, sometimes for several months, and when I come back all of Primrose's residents are always still there (hint: no one will move away if no one is moving on the day you leave. so stop someone from moving, save and quit, then tt as far ahead as you'd like -- or just go on your long hiatus and when you come back your dreamies will be fine)

Last edited:
Back