• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How to STOP your villagers from suddenly moving out

Rubygame

Bells
Island
Hearthaven
Peach (Fruit)
Yellow Violet
Tasty Cake
Light Blue Balloon
Orange (Fruit)
Green Balloon
Isabelle
Toy Hammer
Yellow Balloon
New Leaf Token
Maybe some people already know it, but I noticed that there are still many people who don't know this method, I discovered it myself recently.
I had to catch the scorpion but I didn't want to go back in time for fear of losing my villagers, I usually only travel forward if I need to, but I couldn't travel an entire year day by day. And despite @Mr_Keroppi 's offering help to catching my missing critters, the scorpion CANNOT be caught online.

So I searched the exactly words of the title on google, and I found a post on reddit about this.
(This sort of guide is written by me from my gaming experience over the years, that reddit post was not a guide, indeed this info was just a short comment and I had to confirm it by playing)

HOW TO DO IT

The game works like this: every time a villager asks you to move out and you refuse, the day* you next log in, the game will decide a new outgoing villager, who will notify you 15 or less days before moving.
This day* can be any day, one from 3 years ago, or one from 5 years later, it doesn't matter.

So when you log in after a long time, follow these steps:

1. If NO villagers have moved, it means that one of your villagers will ask you to move soon (if you want to avoid losing your villagers at the first log in after a long time, I'll explain how to do it later)

2. You have to wait until a villager asks you to move. Now I'll explain how to travel in time for a few days and then come back without repercussions.

To force the outgoing villager to ask you to move, try saving and re-entering in the game several times. If that doesn't work, come in the next day(change the Nintendo date) and do the same thing. If it still doesn't work, come in the next day again and do the same thing. Keep going like this until you reach your goal.

Sooner than you think, that villager will ask you to move!

3. When a villager finally asked you to move out and you refused, you can save and leave and forget your worries.
In fact, the only thing left to do is change the date and time of your Nintendo to the current one, so the next time you log in, the game will decide a new outgoing villager on the exact day corresponding to reality and you can start to play day by day as usual.

/!\ Remember to follow this method whenever you already know that you won't be playing again for a long time. And remember that setting the date to the current one after traveling forward a few days, is only useful so that you won't have to remember to do it when you'll turn on your Nintendo after a long time.
DON'T log in again after setting the date to the current one if you don't plan on playing day by day again.

/!\ Remember that no villager will ask you to move if you only have 8 of them

HOW NOT TO LOSE A VILLAGER WHEN YOU FIRST LOG IN A LONG TIME WITHOUT HAVING PREVIOUSLY FOLLOWED THIS METHOD

If you have never applied this method and want to start now, but you are afraid that one of your villagers will have left when you log in, follow these steps:

1. DO NOT log in with any of your characters, otherwise the game will save at the beginning and everything will be lost. CREATE A NEW CHARACTER

2a. Check the list of your villagers, are they all there? Okay, but now check who's in their home. It could be the day a villager is in boxes.

3a. They're all there and no one is in boxes, great, turn off and exit, YOU MUST NOT SAVE.
Now, to be safe, set the date of your Nintendo to a few days before the current one, because a villager could move out tomorrow and you would only have one day to stop him.
Once you have selected the date a few days before, you can log in with your character and follow the first method to stop your outgoing villager from moving and to change the date to the current one again.

2b. Your villager is no longer there. But don't panic! You just have to travel back in time until you see their house again. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ALWAYS WITH THE OPTION "CREATE A NEW CHARACTER".
Once you have found a date when their house is still there, set the date back a few more days because you don't know how many days you have left to let that villager notify their moving.

3b. Once the final date has been set, enter with one of your characters and follow the first method to stop your outgoing villager from moving and to change the date to the current one again.

Last edited:
HOW NOT TO LOSE A VILLAGER WHEN YOU FIRST LOG IN A LONG TIME WITHOUT HAVING PREVIOUSLY FOLLOWED THIS METHOD
you can also change the time to the day you last played (without loading the character first) and wait for someone to ask you to move out, then say no, and time travel back to the current day.

you can also change the time to the day you last played (without loading the character first) and wait for someone to ask you to move out, then say no, and time travel back to the current day.
Yes! But people rarely do it, perhaps because in general they don't know about this mechanism of the villagers and they think it's all random.
But for those who usually mark it(the last day they played) and know they can find it, it is MUCH quicker and I recommend it too!
But not everyone knows the last day they played (if they haven't played for months or years, maybe precisely because they have fear of losing villagers)
Then after applying this method you no longer need to write down anything(or create new characters) which is much better so you no longer have to worry!

Last edited:
Thank you for this! I almost remembered the steps correctly so I'm glad I looked it up. Better safe than sorry.

Back