Tomodachi Life General Discussion

upset that u cant be gay in the game but its ok if they add it in the next game :- )

And for everyone crying about the gay marriage stuff, the Mii's can use both male and female features. So you can always pick the opposite gender and change the voice and facial features to that of the one you chose.

while i dont agree that people should stop being upset because you can do that, i actually like the idea of that feature. im going to make my miis a mix of both :) i was hoping that they wouldnt restrict anything based on gender so yay

What I mean is, you cannot get everything you ask for.

Either way I'm not sure if Nintendo can do it. I don't follow this stupid marriage laws and stuff that the 'god country' America is doing. But I think it is only legal in a couple states. I'm not sure though.

Now that I think about it more, same sex marriage cannot happen in Tomodachi Life anyways. How does two people of the same sex make a baby?

Now that I think about it more, same sex marriage cannot happen in Tomodachi Life anyways. How does two people of the same sex make a baby?

what in the actual hell did i come back to

uh. wow. so. hey guys. hows the waiting going? i anticipate OR/AS will be like this too, with that horrible stale waiting period that feels icky. release is soon for this tho, right? ill be interested to see all of yalls miis and stuff when you get it O:

what in the actual hell did i come back to

uh. wow. so. hey guys. hows the waiting going? i anticipate OR/AS will be like this too, with that horrible stale waiting period that feels icky. release is soon for this tho, right? ill be interested to see all of yalls miis and stuff when you get it O:
I am excited for OR/AS~ and I can not wait to see everyone's interesting miis

I'm so angry at Nintendo for not including same sex marriage in Tomodachi Life. I think the game looks awesome, and I was afraid that they wouldn't have same sex marriage in the game, but I seriously thought that they would consider it. Now I won't buy the game as a protest. It was great though of Nintendo to apologize and explain that same sex marriage will be included in an eventual sequel.

I'm so angry at Nintendo for not including same sex marriage in Tomodachi Life. I think the game looks awesome, and I was afraid that they wouldn't have same sex marriage in the game, but I seriously thought that they would consider it. Now I won't buy the game as a protest. It was great though of Nintendo to apologize and explain that same sex marriage will be included in an eventual sequel.

That's just a few less sales. People are still gonna buy the game regardless.
ACNL didn't include a skin tone feature, so does that mean I should not buy it to protest the lack of that feature? No, because there are other things I can do that make that feature less important.

I'm not sure if any boycott or protest will even work.

Now, back onto discussion..

When I get this game, I'm making myself and my dream guy. //shot

I'm not sure if any boycott or protest will even work.
I know that it won't matter whether I, one person, doesn't buy the game. I just don't want to support it. Also, I feel like it won't be fun to play it just because I always will have in mind that same sex couples aren't allowed.

Because Nintendo is a traditional Japanese company, this is pretty much what's going to happen:

?The sad thing is that this probably just means either the next game will never come out or it will completely drop the marriage system.?

Last edited:
Just because Nintendo did not include same-sex marriage is the game does not mean they're homophobic. They really do have legitimate reasons. Quoting directly from the Nintendo website:

We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.
(I'm pretty sure someone already posted this on here, so, sorry)http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

It's not that Nintendo released the patch to ban gay marriage. The gay marriage glitch actually rendered the game unplayable. And like they said in their recent post, it would not have been easy just to include same-sex marriage in a new patch. Also, they would surely be given hell for including same-sex marriages by close-minded parents, and that really is something to be cautious about. I'm a lesbian, and I don't find Nintendo's actions homophobic, and I will be buying the game. It looks really fun!

Last edited:
They really do have legitimate reasons.
They didn't include same sex relationships in the first version on purpose. Otherwise they would've found out about the glitch before the release. They had reasons to patch the glitch, but they had no reasons to not include same sex relationships in the game.

It's not that Nintendo released the patch to ban gay marriage. The gay marriage glitch actually rendered the game unplayable.

What glitch? I could be an idiot but I haven't read about there being any glitch related to gay marriage, only that a gay marriage patch wouldn't be possible (Statement made by Nintendo PR, giving no legitimate reason other than "it can't happen"). Patch in this context, by the way, meaning to add content, not fix content.

I don't want to be "that" guy, but Nintendo is a traditional Japanese company and as such they don't really "get it". Ever. Never trust PR unless you see proof. Nintendo is no different than any other company and never has been. They're a business and do whatever it takes to cover their tracks and gain your trust so you continue buying their products. (Ever wonder why Iwata, Reggie, etc keep appearing in your Nintendo ads while embracing memes and whatnot? They want you to feel connected to them, personally, so you in-turn feel connected to the brand itself. Basic marketing) You would never trust a PR statement from Disney, would you? Of course not.

Also, even if they did make a statement saying there was an unplayable glitch related to gay marriage I can 100% guarantee you that it's completely false. No glitch ever existed. I know more than enough about how these companies work to know when I see a poor attempt at "damage control", as they say.

I personally don't care just cause I don't even play this game, but I'm just saying.

From what I've heard the glitch isn't even a big deal. Some people who got the japanese version have just avoided the patch and have been fine.

The glitch can actually cause the save data to stop working and/or break the game. I'm not sure the specifics or how to get around it, but it can literally break your game which is why they needed to patch it.

Edit: Also, it's sad to see people protesting the game over this. I understand why people are upset, but there is a large chance the game could have it added properly next time and having wanted this game to come over since the first one, I don't want to see the chance of us continuing to get the series ruined.

Protesting isn't going to do anything except never give them the chance to fix it.

And honestly, we're still in an age where many many many games only let you play as one gender--even simulation games. Not to mention games where you can't even change your skin color (like Animal Crossing). So the fact that you can only have different-gender marriage/dating? Not really surprising. A bit disappointing, sure, but not surprising.

And it's not like they removed something from the Japanese game--it was something NEVER available. And considering it happening accidentally caused a glitch that could break the game, it would be a lot harder to add than just "some coding".

Tomodachi Life may be a life sim, but it's main "advertisement" is just what you saw in the Direct--all the crazy stuff that could happen. I mean, they eat their favorite food and then blast off into Space. It's not a game that is meant to be taken super ultra seriously.

Last edited:
ACNL didn't include a skin tone feature, so does that mean I should not buy it to protest the lack of that feature? No, because there are other things I can do that make that feature less important.

I was literally just about to point this out

Are we going to call Nintendo racists for this??
No, of course not.

If people are so upset that there aren't going to be same sex relationships as an option in this, buy another game.

There is a slight difference between complaining over a few skin tones(since you can get tan in NL and it's not really "human" per se). Now, I don't have a 3DS or probably won't get one unless I move to Japan, I find it stupid that you can't do it. Also those "close-minded" countries would probably not affect the sales at all, so for my sake they could have included it. I would have protested if I had a 3DS, and while it might not be serious, the fact that they included it as a faulty thing that needed to be patched is just even dumber.

Back