• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Today I Learned: New Horizons Edition

TIL you can actually get more than one photo from a single villager without moving them back in!! étoile gave me her photo awhile back and, today, i got another one from her after a home visit. i practically jumped in my seat!
I got like five photos from Bob alone. He was the first one I invited with amiibo back in April 2020, and has been with me since. He's also my #1 villager in New Horizons, so there's that. Here's the last time that happened on 2-7-23:

Bob Gives Out His Photo x4.jpg

And the second time on 8-24-22 (didn't capture the first time he gave me his photo, though I believe it happened sometime after his birthday in 2021):

Bob Gives Out His Photo Again.jpg

Last edited:
I got like five photos from Bob alone. He was the first one I invited with amiibo back in April 2020, and has been with me since. He's also my #1 villager in New Horizons, so there's that. Here's the last time that happened on 2-7-23:

View attachment 528407

And the second time on 8-24-22 (didn't capture the first time he gave me his photo, though I believe it happened sometime after his birthday in 2021):

View attachment 528408
that's a lot of pictures from a single villager! what do you do with them all? i wasn't even sure where to put étoile's second photo, let alone five of them!

still, it must mean bob likes you a lot, haha.

that's a lot of pictures from a single villager! what do you do with them all? i wasn't even sure where to put étoile's second photo, let alone five of them!

still, it must mean bob likes you a lot, haha.
I never got rid of any of them, though I'm not planning on making a Bob shrine either :ROFLMAO:

All but one are sitting in my storage - that one photo is hanging somewhere in my house. I've got a photo of every current villager (the tiny villager icons in my signature is who I have currently) in my house, though I don't have Caroline's yet as she's the newest resident. I also have a few others in my "cemetery" that I got through other means. Bob has been my favorite throughout New Horizons, though Lopez is rapidly climbing the ranks, and he may become my new #1 in the next game.

TIL that if your island is too new, you don't get a birthday party or a New Year's celebration...

I restarted my island on the 25th. My birthday was on the 29th, and while Tom Nook made an announcement in the morning broadcast, I didn't get a surprise party or a post on the bulletin board. Even weirder, my villagers only acknowledged my birthday the day after.

I'm guessing it has to do with villager count, my 3rd villager had just moved in on my birthday, and the next day he said like "hey happy belated birthday, sorry I couldn't say it yesterday". I get that, but idk why the developers didn't make it so your other two villagers still wish you a happy birthday on the day, instead of a day after. Does that mean that if your third villager doesn't move in the same day, you might have to wait several days before the villagers acknowledge your birthday? Or they just don't mention it at all?

And then, today is the 31st but there's no post on the bulletin board about NYE, and Tom Nook didn't say anything in the morning broadcast. I guess you need the upgraded Resident's services to have the NYE celebration? Mine will be under construction tomorrow, we'll see if Nook says anything then.

Did anyone else experience this?

TIL that when you want to move a villager in via amiibo, and your town is full, you don't have to wait until someone asks you to move out, to replace them, you can just replace them while the amiibo villager is in the campsite 🤦‍♀️

I ordered these amiibo cards online for Lucky and Coco, and they sat on my computer desk for almost a WEEK because I was waiting until someone asked to move out, in order to use them. I WAS PLAYING THE GAME EVERYDAY FOR ALMOST A WEEK TRYING TO GET SOMEONE TO ASK ME TO MOVE!

Boy was I face palming today when I found out you can just,.... replace a villager with an amiibo camper... like... wow.. lol

Just got Lucky and Coco onto my island today,.... when I could have done it the day my amiibo cards arrived...

I've been outta this fandom way too long 🤦‍♀️:ROFLMAO:

If you're inside the Able Sisters' shop when their hours end, they're too polite to kick you out. 😅
Meanwhile, Timmy & Tommy are like me when I closed shifts at one of my former jobs, as in...
"Get outta here. You're here way too late and we wanna go home. Scram."
That's how it would be worded in my mind or with co-workers. Of course, you gotta be nice to the customers. The last thing you want is an angry talk from your supervisor.

Meanwhile, Timmy & Tommy are like me when I closed shifts at one of my former jobs, as in...
"Get outta here. You're here way too late and we wanna go home. Scram."
That's how it would be worded in my mind or with co-workers. Of course, you gotta be nice to the customers. The last thing you want is an angry talk from your supervisor.
Yeah, I felt bad, but I kept in mind that they weren't real people, and who knew when I'd have another chance to buy those items. I hope I'll never do that in real life. I get annoyed enough with my employer's clients; I don't want to do what they do to someone else.

It worked! I read in this article that the important thing about making perfect Snowboys was the ratio of the head and body, not the size of each snowball. It suggested kicking each snowball until you could roll them and then rolling the bottom snowball for about 17 seconds and the top snowball for about 12 seconds. I just tried it, and I finally got a perfect Snowboy after several days of failure! Just 4 more to finish off the Achievement!

TIL that if a villager in your island also happens to be in an island you're visiting through multiplayer, they will still introduce themselves as if they don't know you if you talk to them for the first time. Which, if you ask me feels pretty weird :/

TIL They don't have a light green hair colour option like in New Leaf...

You either get dark green, or turquoise.
Oh well! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah there were a lot more color varieties and hairstyles in NL and HHD then their are in NH. I don't think NH has white hair like the others did.

Some time ago, I learned that you could make "natural" pitfalls.
I learned that when I was messing around with friends in NL. I dug a hole when they sat on a bench thinking it would just have them do the error hop animation, but I was surprised to see I tricked them into a pitfall.

I always wanted to make my island have a long barrier/path from the airport and put a bunch of beds they would have to roll over and then at the end its just pitfalls lol.

TIL the star fragment island is also a seasonal island, with June/December critters. I've been trying to get tiger prawns to finish the recipes that need them (the seafood ajillo is evil), so not only was I able to do that, I got star fragments out of it, too.

TIL that if your island is too new, you don't get a birthday party or a New Year's celebration...

I restarted my island on the 25th. My birthday was on the 29th, and while Tom Nook made an announcement in the morning broadcast, I didn't get a surprise party or a post on the bulletin board. Even weirder, my villagers only acknowledged my birthday the day after.
I haven't started/restarted an island close enough to my birthday to experience this for myself, but that is a bit of a bummer.

HOWEVER, I started my very first New Leaf town when it came out on my birthday. Yep, my birthday is June 9th, so I didn't get a party that year, sadly. ;-;
(since it was the just the next morning.)

I do vaguely remember Isabelle recognizing the fact that I was starting out on my birthday, and her wishing me a happy birthday.

My dad's birthday is just two days after mine, and that was enough time for him to get a party. I still remember to this day...he said Dora was the host. I have no idea why I still remember all this after almost 11 years. 🥴

. . .

I noticed that having a decent friendship in City Folk is important for getting a cake. I remember reading a vent (it was posted back in 2008 or 2009) from a while back on another site about this because their child didn't get a cake in City Folk, but got one in the Game Cube version and in Wild World. I also vaguely remember the writer saying their child didn't even get an NES game, but getting a cake in those older games made their child feel better.

That fact that you have to basically work for a cake in City Folk can be seen as either a pro or a con.

It is a pro because it teaches people that these types of things are earned. One cannot simply expect such a deed just be done onto them from the get-go. Personally, I feel more proud knowing that I have to earn a cake from the villager I get closest to, rather than it just be handed to me.

Though, I can see why people see it as a con. While this is certainly not me, some people just do not care about befriending villagers. Some people may prefer other aspects of the game, and it may feel a bit unfair that they are being, I guess you can say "punished" for it. I think a good compromise would be to get a cake regardless of friendship and get something above and beyond for having a good enough friendship with one of the villagers.

Hell, I have an alt in City Folk whose birthday I put as February 5th -- today, but no cake.

I noticed that Valentine's Day also requires a significant friendship to be celebrated in most of the games. In the GameCube version, you get Valentine's Day cards from ALL of the villagers of the opposite gender, though the cards are more heartwarming if you have high friendships with those villagers. You also get furniture, whereas you will only get clothing if you haven't built your friendship enough.

WW doesn't have Valentine's Day unfortunately.

But in CF, NL, and NH, yeah, you have to have a high enough friendship with at least one of the villagers. One of my favorite YouTubers has had an on-going let's play on City Folk since January of last year. He didn't get a chocolate heart on Valentine's Day last year, sadly. He did, however, get a Valentine's Day letter. I never even knew you can get a VD card without a chocolate heart in City Folk until I watched that video last year around that time.

I would love to get a chocolate heart in City Folk this year. However, I am not gonna count on it, considering it seems like you have to talk to your villagers for MONTHS, but who knows? I have been pleasantly surprised before. <3333

Anyway, yeah. I digress. I just wanted to get all this out. 😅😅😅

I recently found out that if you stand inside the square tiles in the museum's art wing, the camera goes isometric.

Stone axes never break if only you hit full rocks. As soon as you try chopping down a tree or if you hit an empty rock, it'll break.

Back