• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tips on getting your villager's picture

I haven't read through all the posts, but if you have a high enough friendship, you might get the pic by

- giving the villager a perfect fruit when they ask for any fruit or a regular version of a certain fruit
- giving the villager customized furniture

The only thing is that I've sometimes gotten the furniture that the villager wanted to replace instead of another random item, which can be annoying, but I can't really tell when that's going to happen. I've gotten Moe's pic from giving him customized furniture, I've gotten Olivia's and Cally's pics after they moved away, and I've gotten the rest through the mail when they were still living in my town.

I have maple's picture after she moved away... i hold it dearly in my house on display now.

One of my friends said that he has never gotten a pic. Then he told me he never does favors. This would be why. :p

Go above and beyond with the favors. Bring the rarest (fish/bug), most perfect (fruit), refurbished (furniture) thing you can.

It's also worth noting that giving them special/rare things increases chances more. For example, if they ask for a pear, give them a perfect pear. If they want an ocean fish, give them a shark. Customized furniture also works. Julian gave me his picture after I gave him a customized guitar. Rare items, like spotlight items, Gracie furniture, or "holiday" furniture (ex. Pav? set, Egg set, etc), also increase friendship more than just giving a standard item.

In addition, on their birthday, get them a present! Thonky has a great guide for what to get your villagers.

Last edited:
Thank you am going to try this as I spent ages getting pictures (I don't count the ones given out on April Fools, they don't mean as much)

Step 3: The reset method When you got the item for the favor, save and continue BEFORE you give them the item. If the villager gives you an item that's not in their pocket, this is the way to get the picture. These items can be fairly rare. Another way to tell is that on getting the item, the villager will tell you what the item is AFTER giving it to you (not confirmed for all personalities). If they give you a non-picture item, go to your 3DS home menu and close without saving. Rinse and repeat until they give you their picture.

I hope this helps you, please tell me your feedback.

Kind of off topic but If you can get rare items while doing your resets for pictures is this also a viable way to obtain a foreign fruit?

Perfect fruit!!! 100% guaranteed. When they ask you for fruit, give them perfect fruit (esp non-native perf fruit!!). That's all I've really done, and I got Kabuki's pic the first week he moved in (though, admittedly, crankys are the easiest to get pics from :p)

This seems helpful! Thanks! (Must get all of my dreamies pictures!)

Oh and another way to find pictures of animals is on April Fool's Day. If you get it right, they will give you a picture to show their thanks :)

I got a picture from a villager that I like the least. They've all been asking for me to change my name but I don't want to. I've already done that several times and it didn't help. They ask for furniture, I give them something, they don't like it. I have also done the signature thing, hunt for bugs/fish for them, pick fruit when it's right in front of them. What the heck am I doing wrong?

it would help if you gave them refurbished furniture, rarer bug fish if they don't ask for specifics, and perfect fruits when you can.

Maybe trying to get something that's within their the theme?

Last edited:
Love vic for all eternity for being so nice and perfect for my town
Get sick irl and get lazy with your town
Come back to find him gone
Open mail and see he sent it to you once he left
SOB HEAVILY

Back