tips for catching some rarer bugs?

PugLovex

taylor swift enthusiast
Bells
Switch
3994-2737-3875
so i need 6 more bugs total to complete my museum & bug encyclopedia and they all can be caught during the summer.

i need a walker cicada, which shouldn’t be too tough, though i’ll have to wait for august for one of those

my issue lies with the 5 remaining bugs. i need a scarab beetle, giant stag, giraffe stag, horned hercules, and golden stag. the last 2 weren’t so hard to catch in new leaf, but they’re a pain in new horizons. i haven’t seen a single one spawn at all.

i’m using mystery islands and digging up flowers and cutting down a couple trees to prevent some bugs from spawning, and scaring off other bugs. i haven’t gotten any of them to spawn except for one giraffe stag, which i accidentally scared off 😭

to anyone who has caught these bugs, any tips on catching or getting them to spawn? i really don’t wanna have to wait till next summer again. thanks!!

Make sure you are utilizing the mystery islands properly.
  • Cut ALL trees and dig up ALL stumps.
  • BUT do not cut the palm trees. Leave it be.
  • Destroy all flowers. No need to dig them up. Just run over them repeatedly.
  • Optional, but it's best to try and get the bamboo island because there are no ponds/river. It prevents bugs from spawning on water.
  • Pick the best time, when you get the least insects to bother you
    • The scarab, giant stag, appears from 11pm - 8am.
    • The giraffe stag, horned hercules, and the golden stag appears from 5pm - 8am, and only spawn on palm trees.
    • I suggest between 11pm-4am if you want to do this on one go. Also no butterflies yet.
  • Once preparations are complete, just circle the island clockwise or counter-clockwise repeatedly until the bug you're looking for spawns.
  • If it's not the one you're after, scare it off. Don't waste your time catching bugs that you don't want.
  • Do NOT run. When you see the bug you're after, hold A while moving to walk very slowly.

those are seriously difficult to get! i believe with all of them that you have to literally catch 100 bugs on that day in order for them to spawn. i had issues with this as well, until i just ran around catching every bug on sight all day long. i tried the mystery island thing as well, with no luck there either.
grind the heck out of the bugs!!

Back