• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mario Thoughts on Princess Peach Showtime's box art change?

DJ-Mika

Chief is best boy🐺✨
Bells
Switch
0718-2033-2814
Red Holiday Candle
Hot Cocoa
Gingerbread Man
Red Holiday Candle
Tasty Cake
Pavé Pink Feather
Pavé Tail Feather
Pink Love Potion
Pink Love Potion
October Birthstone (Opal)
This is a fairly recent thing that I just learned of, but I'm very curious what everyone's thoughts are on Nintendo suddenly changing the box art for the new Peach Showtime game?
Here they are for comparison:
princess peach showtime initial box art.png

princess peach showtime new key art.png

I personally really don't like it :confused:
I seems like they're trying to make her look similar to how she appeared in the Mario movie?? I'm kind of half hoping that this gets revealed as some really good Photoshopping prank from a fan or something lol
Opinions? 🤔

I think it's a bit off too, I mean looking at her in the center compared to the other Peaches, you can clearly tell they don't clash.

Honestly I agree with you, I also prefer the initial box art better because it's as perfect as it is and it doesn't need more unnecessary changes. Also it felt like one of the early days when they basically made Kirby needlessly angry in American box art for some reason.

(also Peach in the new box art looks like she's doing the DreamWorks face 😂)

it definitely looks like they’re trying to match the art style of the super mario bros. movie, and similar to what @/Paperboy012305 said, them not doing the same for the other peaches just makes it stand out even more in a bad way. i prefer the initial box art.

It definitely looks like they are trying to make her similar to the Peach in the movie. That's what appeals to the younger fans. They love seeing their favorite characters on a big screen, so they associate the characters with how they appear in the movie. I'm confused why they only changed the main Peach and kept the other ones the same. The right Peach looks angrier in the second one, but it doesn't change the fact that her face didn't change aside from the expression.

The movie version dwelves a bit into the uncanny valley for me, also it's a shame they don't give Peach her cute lips, they remind me of old cartoons and I think they're a big part of her character design

Also it felt like one of the early days when they basically made Kirby needlessly angry in American box art for some reason.

(also Peach in the new box art looks like she's doing the DreamWorks face 😂)
That's exactly what I was thinking too 🤣 They're giving Peach the American Kirby treatment 😭😭
I really hope this isn't some kind of sign of things to come for the future art direction of Mario, Illumination's art style is just not it for me at all
Also true LOL

i was so so sad to see this change. i get why they're doing it, she looks more like the mario movie peach kinda? but it doesn't look like the peach that's so well known and loved :cry: the peach in the center doesn't even match up well with the other peaches in the revised version, like who looked at this and gave it the okay? the first box art was perfectly fine and her face and expression matched it well... 🥺

As other people have said, it looks like they're trying to emulate the movie Princess Peach. Echoing the sentiment of the Kirby treatment, because that was my first thought as well.

I prefer the first box art as well, she just looks so much more energized and excited.

i've gotta be the only person who doesn't feel strongly either way. i like them both, and i like that she's more expressive in the newer one. (it does look a little uncanny though.) i don't mind people who prefer the original, and i also feel the same about not wanting her to look more like movie peach specifically, but what gets me is the weird discourse about how she's now "too masculine" ??????????? in what world does a determined look make you masculine. she's literally just emoting!

I actually prefer the second one because her expressions are more varied, but I will agree that the main/middle Peach on the first cover looks more like the Peach we know and are accustomed to. I probably wouldn't have been able to tell something was off without the comparison, though.

Huh, that's... odd? I didn't get to see the movie yet, so I didn't figure out that's what the change resembled until I read the posts here. In fact, I was almost going to compare her to "American box art Kirby" because all I noticed was her facial expression. I think this is a weird change because I think movie Peach and game Peach should be separate and not turned into her new design or something.

Yeahh I'm also not a fan, generally I wasn't the biggest fan of how she looked in the movies anyways, probably just because I'm used to normal Peach though.

I actually like it kinda. It’s different from the normal Peach you see every time, especially with the more dramatic angle and shading. They’re shaking it up and it’s fun!

I agree with the general consensus, I prefer her face in the initial box art and don't really like this new version that is seemingly trying to tie into how she looked in the recent Super Mario Bros. movie. It does feel kind of uncanny since there's just a sort of Peach face you come to expect after all these years.

That said, I don't mind the change to the Kung-Fu Peach's facial expression in this new version. I can go both ways on the matter; I like the original one just fine, but the more aggressive facial expression fits the action.

Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come with art direction for the Mario games in general, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. A bit too early to speculate on such though.

I agree with everyone here, it seems like they wanted her to be more expressive but similar to the movie. I bet the game will still have the original Peach we all know from the HD Nintendo era unless they change the graphics during the time until 2024. I like the original better as that is the peach design I personally grew up with but the new ones not bad in any way! I wonder if this will become like Ninjago where like slowly after the movie the character designs will shift and switch to the movie / modern look and scrap the og designs.

Gotta love the Americanized "angry eyes" thing.

But yeah, her whole bottom half of her face looks messed up. Definitely to try and match with her movie self. Not a fan.

Kinda looks like when people try to emulate the Pixar look. It looked fine as it was. The original was her iconic look.

Back