• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

This forum will be obsolete after May... ):

Ninty makes stupid decisions like this all the time. It's sad to see all the DS/Wii wi-fi go, because you won't be able to fight online in SSB Brawl, you won't be able to race online in MK Wii...You won't even be able to battle/trade online in Pokemon D/P/PT/HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2...they could've given it another year before shutting off servers. But everything has to end sometime.

It's sad to see the service go, but it's totally understandable why they're doing it. They want to focus on the Wii U (and I also heard that the group that hosted the Wii servers has been asking for more and more each month lately).

- - - Post Merge - - -

If they would end the Wifi to the DS and stuff, how would Pokemon Bank work?

I read it on reddit (HAHAH GEDDIT REDDIT ON REDDIT) that transfer runs on local wifi, so you don't have to be connected to the internet on the DS side, only the 3DS side.
Though this makes me worry about when they cut off 3DS servers! )=

So basically games like SSBB and Pokemon Battle Revolution gonna die. Even though the latter one is pretty damn dead already. I sort of feel they should have kept SSBB with wi-fi, even though the new one is coming out soon.

Nintendo has done some pretty lame things over the past few years, but the fact that so many people still use the service and they don't really think about that baffles me... They should at least consider a few possibilities for players instead of just pulling the plug on everything that isn't Wii U or 3DS.

Nintendo has done some pretty lame things over the past few years, but the fact that so many people still use the service and they don't really think about that baffles me... They should at least consider a few possibilities for players instead of just pulling the plug on everything that isn't Wii U or 3DS.

They could have patched the games to advertise the new console and installments.

read it on reddit (HAHAH GEDDIT REDDIT ON REDDIT) that transfer runs on local wifi, so you don't have to be connected to the internet on the DS side, only the 3DS side.
Though this makes me worry about when they cut off 3DS servers! )=

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I just assumed Nintendo Network was meant to be Nintendo's permanent internet service, and just didn't want to run their games through the old DS/Wii Wi-Fi service anymore. So considering 3DS (along with the Wii U) is currently running with the Nintendo Network, I don't find it likely they'll be shutting 3DS services down anytime soon.

Even if for some reason Nintendo shuts down 3DS services, Pokemon Bank is still attached to the overall Nintendo Network. New handheld console for pokemon games? I'm 99% sure it'll be running on the NN, so all your pokemon bank data will be carried along with it.

Aside from this speculation, my views on this situation has been as such: I believed Nintendo basically made this move to convert typical online gamers (fans of the previous generation) to join the Wii U/3DS community. Some of the coincidences just seem too perfect? Mario Kart 8 releasing just days after the shutdown of their online play for games like MK Wii? Major fans would naturally only want to continue their experience with the new game, and if they haven't already found a need to purchase the Wii U before, now would make a great opportunity. If that's the case, it seems like a fairly cheap move, although not necessarily a bad move from a business standpoint -- but only if people actually take the bait.

I'm only ever going to get WiiU if an Animal Crossing game comes out on it (and a proper one, no Sweet Days crap).

I'm just wondering what the staff will do to this forum section. Keep as-is and make archive only? Or move to a new archive section? Or nothing? Or....

I'm just wondering what the staff will do to this forum section. Keep as-is and make archive only? Or move to a new archive section? Or nothing? Or....

We'll probably just close it down and let it live with the rest of the old boards so they can play in a nice, open flower pasture and live happily ever after.

But we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
You can play Wii games in the Wii U right so can you not use the wifi through that system to continue Playing online? You can also play DS games in the 3DS and 2DS so can you go online with games that way? I planned on getting one later on but not this soon. Haven't gone online in the game in forever so it's not a bother. I doubt they will cut off wifi for the 3DS because it still a system you can buy and purchase games for. The only thing I use my wii for is for netflix so as long as that's OK then I am good :D

Last edited:
I don't understand...*strawberry blonde moment* :L someone explain???

I don't understand...*strawberry blonde moment* :L someone explain???

Wi-Fi for Wii and DS is shut down.

We'll probably just close it down and let it live with the rest of the old boards so they can play in a nice, open flower pasture and live happily ever after.

But we'll see how it goes.

So, it becomes a sub-forum of General AC Discussion?

But why? I guess I should've been clearer on that :3 Why are they cancelling wifi for ds and wii?

Likely to "force" people to move to their next-gen systems.

Also, server costs probably have a thing to do with it as well.

Also, because Nintendo has the best online support.

Last edited:
For me, Animal Crossing: City Folk/Let's Go to the City was, and still is, the best game in the series. I'll never forget all that I did, and what I had the privilege of sharing with others. I'll never forget all the hacked towns I visited, I'll never forget all the amazing people I met. Nintendo have truly disappointed me.

It's because of server costs most likely. Because Nintendo doesn't charge its costumers to use their internet they're not making any money (unlike Sony and Microsoft). It will also help push people to the new systems. Nintendo has always slowly pushed people to the newer systems rather than forcing people to convert right away.

In the end it's a good business strategy to clear the servers for the more powerful consoles and help move people along.

Back