Things You Unironically Like?

Stuff I shouldn't like? This is too vague. I hate shooter games so does Splatoon count? But everyone already knows I like Splatoon.
A lot of this thread feels like people just listing things others make fun of or hate on, and I don't like that we have to think that way.
What, am I supposed to list things like Undertale and Steven Universe?

everything about this scene from the 1994 fantastic four animation.
everything about this scene is just AWFULLLL. but ever since i saw it on twitter, i've been playing the video over and over. it's stuck in my head.

People think I’m weird for watching EAS scenarios when I’m literally scared to death of tornadoes. It’s a way of coping with and exploring with the fear.
Exactly me when I was younger. There was a short period where I was obsessed about severe weather alerts and stuff, but would hide in my windowless bathroom if there were thunderstorms. Nowadays, I'm not as scared of thunderstorms (unless it's really, REALLY bad) but I'm ironically more sensitive to EAS alerts largely thanks to what transpired in 2020.
At its peak they sent a few alerts via phone and cable urging people to stay home, and I've left my alerts off since then as THAT of all things made my anxiety skyrocket.

Here's my list of a few things I unironically like:
  • Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" - His cheesy dancing in the music video is basically what caused the Rick Roll meme to go around in YouTube's early days, but I actually like how '80s it sounds. The video itself really isn't that bad; I've seen way worse. Besides, I think he's got a great voice.
  • Montage Parodies - The MLG stuff that was popular in 2014, then quickly became "an annoying dead meme". The truth is, I never wanted this to die off. When others complained about these videos coming back in any form, I enjoyed it. They always make me laugh for how stupid they are, even today.
  • Older preschool shows - This is more of a nostalgia thing, but I'm mostly referring to shows that are aimed towards preschool kids that aired when I grew up. Heck, I'd totally re-watch Blue's Clues if no one else is around. Nowadays, I look at shows like Blippy, the one that stars a baby (Cocomelon, is it?), and the cheap CGI animated shows and become thankful that I grew up with Nick Jr.'s shows of the late '90s and early 2000's.
  • Raymond - Yes, the villager. I don't let the dumb meme stuff get to me (why would anyone dress him up in a maid's dress???), and really wouldn't mind him as a villager in one of my towns in the future.
  • Yacht Rock - AKA cheesy soft rock with falsetto vocals and saxophones that are very upbeat. I actually like this so-called "genre" a lot, despite many claiming that these songs were made only to satisfy the general crowd. Some of my all-time favorite songs are considered yacht rock, like "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers.
  • Disco - It was hated by many in the late '70s, but I don't mind it at all. Again, some big favorites of mine that are considered disco are "Countdown / This Is It" and "Vertigo / Relight My Fire" by Dan Hartman.

I see people mentioning Vaporwave, which I wouldn't even know what it was if I didn't like Muzak. I unironically like Muzak from the 70s and before! Not even kidding. I blame The Sims 1 Hot Date, which I played back in my mid teens. The "cheap" restaurants and stores had Muzak playing and I actually kinda liked it... Soft orchestral music, what's not to love? Now it's very nostalgic to me.

+1 for Vaporwave, and Future Funk 🌴

I also unironically like emojis, Darude - Sandstorm, and very occasionally watching The Kardashians because their world is just so freakin' different

Taylor Swift. Maid Sama. Buying pink cases for all my electronics (you should see me when I pull them all out at airport security, looking like Elle Woods).

Last edited:
My Hero Academia, Black Clover, Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, wearing shorts most of the time, etc. (the list goes for awhile, really)

everything about this scene from the 1994 fantastic four animation.
everything about this scene is just AWFULLLL. but ever since i saw it on twitter, i've been playing the video over and over. it's stuck in my head.

Why does this look like some cringeworthy internet meme??? Why would they put this in the actual show? It's TERRIBLE, LMAOOOOOO :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, Nickelback. They had some bangers back in the day and I am done pretending that I didn't like them.

Undertale - Fandomwise, at some point I feel like I missed something and I started having zero idea what the everyone was talking about anymore, but I thought the game itself was good, and I still think the game is good tbh. I still really like all the characters, I love the soundtrack (MEGALOVANIA very much included), I'm subscribed to the newsletter, and I'll sometimes play Sans in SSBU because Sans is cool!!

Raymond from ACNH - He was my favorite from the new ACNH villagers when they were announced, I have him on my island, and I still like the little business kitty! I'm not gonna change my mind because of—oddly literal—flea markets or people who got unhealthily angry over his existence and took it out on others.

Shaman King - I'm not aware of there being a general consensus of people not liking Shaman King (aside from some infamously problematic aspects, which for the record I'm also not fond of, nor want to defend) or making fun of it, but I felt like including it because I'm in the very weird position of both thinking it's horribly written and genuinely loving it to bits. Not "it's so bad it's good", no, I was completely fixated on it in my teens and was nearly as obsessed with the recent anime. Like, binging each set of episodes as soon as they released and then watching them a second time. I love the characters and there's certain parts that make me actually bawl.
It's like... it feels like an extremely messy first draft, and personally I think a lot of it is just kind of stupid, or comes out of nowhere, and I don't think it ever really knew where it was going. But it also feels like there was a lot of heart put into it, so I love it anyway??

Self-inserty otome games - I sometimes see stuff from the English otome community that can get downright derisive towards content geared more towards self-inserting or POV-based/yumejoshi content and the people who like it, especially when a game like that gets announced for a localization. I don't want to play invisible matchmaker for the heroine, I want to use her as the vehicle through which I romance the anime men I want to romance. I can appreciate otome protagonists as their own characters, but you can bet that how much I like them is also going to depend on how easy it is for me to project myself onto them, and I will 100% replace them in my head if I feel like they're not cutting it for me. (Absolutely nothing against players who like to approach otome from a shipping/matchmaking perspective, just to be clear here.)

And on a similar note, Character x Reader fanfics. I don't really seek these out much anymore now that I have dating sims I can play lol, but before I had those, I absolutely thrived on these. They certainly weren't all winners, but there were some really good ones out there if you were willing to look hard enough (and believe me, I was).

Also sometimes I'll unironically call a dog a "doggo" or a "pupper" and you can't stop me

Shrek, QVC, Adam Sandler movies, gnomes, the Barbie movie, heated blankets, JJBA, some Sonic games, Mii maker music, some Nickelback songs.

Shrek, QVC, Adam Sandler movies, gnomes, the Barbie movie, heated blankets, JJBA, some Sonic games, Mii maker music, some Nickelback songs.
Ahhhh I love QVC too! ^^ I grew up watching it an JTV and it’s so comforting and nostalgic, especially around Christmas (๑・̑◡・̑๑)

Speaking of which, I love using cute emoticons like :3 and XD

And I also love super dumb jokes or random stuff people say. The dumber it is, the harder I’ll probably laugh. Example: In high school I laughed when a girl pulled apart magnets and said “I AM…THOR” in a funny voice and she made fun of me for laughing.

asmr and im sorry to say that does include eating asmr !!! totally understand if it's not someone's thing but i LOVE it (altho i would not admit to it outside these safe walls)

People think I’m weird for watching EAS scenarios when I’m literally scared to death of tornadoes. It’s a way of coping with and exploring with the fear.
omg im the same way haha. i adore them for some reason, it's like... a morbid fascination? even if it's not "morbid." but to me its the same vein as being interested in true crime. its fascinating but whenever it happens near me im gonna start crying LOL

There are some meme songs that are legitimate bangers. The Angry Birds theme goes so hard, so does the Powerpuff Girls theme song, some Siivagunner rips (notably, this one and this), Flower Garden from Yoshi’s Island (and the athletic theme). There are a lot of video game references and music in general that were good even before memetic transformation, too many for me to count. That really goes for pretty much ANYTHING. The biggest exception to this is Gourmet Race. I actually hate that song more because of the memes.

I guess also SpongeBob since a lot of people only watch/remember it for the memes, and Game Theory.

Resonance Of Fate like seriously how can you not love the cheesy story and comedy and Nolan North's voice acting? its really that good and it deserves more love imo.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (the DLC counts too) is all I can think of at the moment. The story, Pokémon, and characters (especially Kieran!) are all great, but people don't like it because of the bugs, glitches, graphics, difficulty, and other issues that overshadow it all. It was also the first game where I felt motivated to 100% complete it! As of posting, though, I haven’t gotten all the rewards for Ogre Oustin’ yet. As someone who considers Scarlet/Violet to be their favorite Pokemon game, I think it’s heavily under-appreciated!

Back