• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

TheBigJC's Daily Gaming #1 - Introduction and older entries

JCnator

Bells
Switch
4227-4179-8894
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cake
Welcome to TheBigJC's Daily Gaming! This is where I'll write off anything about my video gaming experience. Each entry will keep track of my progresses I've made so far on my games. I will also jot down notable moments that occurred during my gaming sessions like a particularly hard area, silly mistakes, and whatnot. At the moment, I will mostly focus on beating the games since I have a lot of them. Extras like side quest won't quite catch my interest, so I'm not aiming on completing any game in first place unless I ran out of games to beat. And that's pretty much it! Be sure to check out my Backloggery if you haven't seen it yet. And lastly, wish me a good luck on playing these games. I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of fun! :p

Since this is my first entry on TBT, I'll bring you all of the older entries I've made between June 24th 2012 and January 8th 2014. And there will be multiple entries for today, because I'm apparently not allowed to have more than 10000 characters in a blog entry. Be warned, spoilers aren't marked in these entries. There's not many, given I was procrastinating and finding a way to keep me glued on video games.
Without any further ado, let's get started!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week of June 24th 2012:

Well, I procrastinated a bit here, but I progressed on a couple of games that weren't on my initial list. I'm still proud of that, because I usually have trouble on starting to play my games to only progress.

In The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, I finally figured out what to do, thanks to a few walkthrough, to get all of those seven eggs on Great Bay. Turns out that Stone Mask is useful when it comes to avoid the guards and I actually needed the Hookshot, which was found on Pirate Fortress. I took a long while to find out how to get back there.
I also fought the girls like I did on Ocarina of Time, this time it's easier. Even with my weak sword, I manage to score hits at the right precise moment when they begin attacking on me, while losing quite a few hearts.

Once I gathered all the eggs back to lab, I learned a new song which was needed to reach the dungeon. I restocked everything I have before jumping straight in it. And the problems that came from N64's Ocarina of Time begun to rear their ugly head.
Remember, the nature of the game is more action-packed than before. Keeping this in mind, the Great Bay dungeon is where the flaws and the limits of some gameplay elements were peaking to my frustration.
The biggest offender among them is that poorly aged N64 camera system, which was a common issue of many N64 games. It has a hard time following me, especially when I traverse on tight rooms, corridors, as well of while I quickly swim as Zora Link. Oh, and also mini-bosses, particularly one that acted like Arghus from A Link to the Past, where I had to painfully take a few bubbles at time. The first phase was alright, but the second one, is quite a profanity-inducing moment. It's a chore trying to aim properly while that thing is constantly moving fast. Worse, it closes its eye at certain interval and you have to aim exactly at its eye. That boss alone made me lost a lot of hearts. Most of the challenge involved dealing with the awkward camera system. Ocarina of Time did have this problem too, but it happens far less often than here. Next time I'm playing this game, I'll opt for a manual L-Targeting Lock-On. At least, I obtained the Ice Arrows. The other mini-boss is also a pain in the rear, but it is far bearable than the previous one.
The attacks with Zora Link in underwater are rather bothersome. Attacking normally usually lead to lost hearts, because its range is so short that you have no choice taking a hit to defeat a foe. You also have its boomerang attack, which isn't good enough because they always seem to take a wide outside turn before following its victim. The tight corridors and rooms make it impossible to hit enemies from afar because they would always hit on walls and come back.

So far, I got the boss key, saved at the nearest Owl Statue, and willing to savescum (I'm with my VC version of it) if things didn't went in my favor. I'll continue it later in this week.

I also got to play VVVVVV, one of the hardest games I ever played in my lifetime. I bought it recently due of its price drop, and enjoyed it a lot, despite hundreds of deaths. In the main game, I need to rescue two more crews and some trinkets. Most of the difficulty stems from the precise, pixel-perfect, and fast flips. It ain't Super Mario Bros. style of reflexes. It's a lot more demanding than you'd otherwise think. Also, the hitbox of spikes and obstacle elements is slightly larger than what is actually shown. I can die from being 1-2 pixel(s) away from a spike, just to give you an idea on how large the hitbox is. There are some parts of the game that are almost impossible to beat without activating invincibility (yes, it's actually on the main menu). It's not surprising that I'm yet to hear someone who ever completed No Death mode without cheats and TAS.
Strangely, it didn't made me put it down, due of its addictive nature of the game. And there's also a generous amount of checkpoints considering how tough is the game.

That's all from the past week. Hope you enjoyed this entry of my video gaming quest!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post two more entries within another entry sooner today. I apparently hit more than twice the characters limit, so that's why I have to do that. See you in the next entry shortly.

Back