• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Spooky gaming!

Rainbowhorn

*Bakes cookies for all villagers*
Bells
Pink Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Crystal Tree
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Galaxy Swirl
Purple Star Fragment
Shooting Star Plush
International Space Cetacean Star Fragment
Blue Crescent Moon
It's October, time for spooks and scares and creepy crawlers galore, and one of the mediums that can express this better than most of them is videogames!

This thread is for sharing anything both spooky and gaming related! Talk about your favorite horror games or recomend some. Games that are not in the horror genre but may have scared you in some way. Share spooky gaming stories. And more!

bd76d051233a0fad38c4953d461b6bab.gif

Happy first of Halloween!!!

I am a Castlevania girlie, so I find Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and Harmony of Dissonance satisfactory spooky games. I mean, they are spooky, but not scary— to me, at least.

I started playing it last year but didn't quite get around to finishing Parasite Eve.

I'm surprised there aren't more horror-themed RPG's. I think their less proactive control schemes make them a particularly fine fit for the genre.

While not playing these games, I've decided to look into the RPG series that started Puyo Puyo, which is Madou Monagatari (I hope I spelled that right). The spooky factor comes from multiple places, but the most well known examples are below:

Arle, who at the time is 5-6 years old and hasn't met Carby, sees an illusion of her classmates melting.
Arle, who is either a teenager or still a 5-6 year old, fights Schezo and literally decapitates him (you then fight the head).

So... yeah lol

I played Pacify with friends one year. When we played, there was only one map (a large, old house) where the objective was to go around and investigate, but there was a little girl roaming around that switched between good and evil. If she caught you while evil, well, let's just say the scene that plays made me scream (it was sudden!)

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan was excellent. I played through it with friends where we each controlled one character at a time while the story played out. It's interactive and your decisions matter. I recommend it! There are others in the series, but I've only played this one and a bit of Little Hope.

I've played other 'signature' horror-themed games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Eternal Darkness, though I much prefer the occasional co-op/multiplayer experience compared to single-player.

Last edited:
horror is one of my favourite genres for all kinds of media, but when it comes to horror games, i tend to watch people play them more than i actually play them myself, because as much as i like horror… i am a wuss when it comes to it LOL. that being said, i do still have a few favourite spooky games!

one of my favourites is spooky’s jumpscare mansion (formerly spooky’s house of jumpscares), which i’m actually currently replaying! i discovered it years ago through markiplier’s playthrough of it, and i loved it so much that i couldn‘t resist playing it for myself! it’s been eons since i’ve last played the desktop version, but it’s still remained one of my favourite games. i love the characters (especially spooky herself 💙), the art style, and the storyline so much, and i appreciate that the vibe is more unnerving and eerie than full-on scary haha

i’ve been playing the switch version (which i didn’t even know existed until yesterday 😩), and i’m enjoying it! i’ve mostly just been familiarizing myself with the game again and getting used to its mechanics on the switch, but i’ve only died once so far, which i think is pretty good considering i haven’t yet got a handle on multitasking sprinting away from specimens while also angling my player’s view correctly so that i’m able to see where i’m going
IMG_2750.png
but my wussy self is still having fun! i’m only on room 150, so i’m sure i’ll get the hang of it as i go along. i’m excited to complete the main game, try out endless mode, and finally get to play the karamari hospital and dollhouse dlcs! no better company during spooky season than spooky and their weird specimens imo 💙

some of my other favourite horror games are five nights at freddy’s (the first and sister location especially), among the sleep, and doki doki literature club. the timeline of it gets more and more confusing to me with every new game that comes out, but five nights at freddy’s lore is still so fascinating to me; it’s kept me in a chokehold for almost 10 years now! even when i’m not actively playing the games, i can’t help but check up on any new theories or discoveries that people come up with haha. among the sleep and ddlc are more sad than scary to me, but they’re still great games, and the storylines honestly never fail to keep me invested while also making my heart bleed.

Last edited:
I'm normally more one to watch others play horror games than to play them myself, but I've played a couple of mild horror/spooky games now, namely Ib and Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion! Youtube Let's Plays introduced me to Ib way back in the day and I really adored the story, aesthetics, and unique setting, so last year I grabbed it on Steam to play through it for myself and had a really great time with it.
This year I was also motivated to pick up Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion on the Switch after watching a playthrough on Youtube! There's nothing quite like getting jumpscared by a cute little cardboard pumpkin popping at you while you're being chased by an actual monster.

Pumpkin Panic is also on my list to try in the future, because I think the combo of farm sim and horror is a very neat idea, it reminds me a teensy bit of some old browser/Flash farming games I played as a kid, and I really love the art style too.

Minecraft isn't supposed to be a horror game but I swear to god it feels like one sometimes. I think a lot of it could be fixed with some better ambience instead of the extended eerie quiet between music tracks, but it's hard not to get alarmed when you hear footsteps coming up on you from behind, and then you spin around and... it's a sheep. 😅 I've gotten jumpscared and maybe yelled a little from hostile mobs in caves more times than I can count too.
I've yet to actually explore an Ancient City but I'm looking forward to it! The Warden was heavily inspired by horror game mechanics and I'm excited to try to sneak around and not accidentally summon it.

Pretty much finished resident evil 6 recently and wow, this really jumped the shark more than what boulder punching in 5 did like honestly glad it went back to the survival horror style, when the remake of 2 and the 7th game came around.

Can't wait for the inevitable remake of this and 5 soon enough lmao.

I started playing it last year but didn't quite get around to finishing Parasite Eve.

I'm surprised there aren't more horror-themed RPG's. I think their less proactive control schemes make them a particularly fine fit for the genre.
rare parasite eve fan spotted in the wild, beaten that game ages ago got it from a flea market and damn, the music of the game is pretty bloody amazing and i really hope it gets the resident evil 2 treatment one day in terms of remake.

Back