• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The state of the forum at the moment

The recent negativity and increase in TT is OK/TT is not OK arguements happening lately have been getting a bit under my skin. Like, come on.. you're welcome to an opinion, but don't try to chew people's jugulars out over it...

I definitely get where you're coming from. Times change, and the world is by and large a more negative place than it was in 2012. This is going to affect everything to some degree, including this forum. All we can do is try not to let it get to us.

I've been involved in the discord community (e.g nookazon), twitter, reddit and other places and i can safely confirm i think this is the nicest, most positive one out of the bunch. We're all gonna be negative because we have such high hopes for the game and we all want it to be perfect, so i get it. I do agree with the others who are saying that the criticism will die down with the new update too. Just be patient and dont fuel too much of the negativity, for your own sanity and for the communitys sake.
I read a good quote earlier, something along the lines of "a loud minorty ruins it for the majority" and i think that applies pretty well here. There are definitely a minorty of people who are quite upset at a lot of the mechanics and techniques nintendo are using, and i know a lot of us disagree with their opinions. But these people are loud and passionate (theres no problem with that, just to clarify) and so the negativity always seems like so, so much because of this. Just keep that in mind!

I've been involved in the discord community (e.g nookazon), twitter, reddit and other places and i can safely confirm i think this is the nicest, most positive one out of the bunch. We're all gonna be negative because we have such high hopes for the game and we all want it to be perfect, so i get it. I do agree with the others who are saying that the criticism will die down with the new update too. Just be patient and dont fuel too much of the negativity, for your own sanity and for the communitys sake.
I read a good quote earlier, something along the lines of "a loud minorty ruins it for the majority" and i think that applies pretty well here. There are definitely a minorty of people who are quite upset at a lot of the mechanics and techniques nintendo are using, and i know a lot of us disagree with their opinions. But these people are loud and passionate (theres no problem with that, just to clarify) and so the negativity always seems like so, so much because of this. Just keep that in mind!
Totally agree that compared to other parts of the internet ac community, TBT is the one I find myself frequenting the most because of the discussion and is overall more positive and friendly.

I don't know if I'd say it's gotten worse as such, you're bound to experience people who have complaints about the game this close to a new games release and that's not even a demerit in my opinion - it spurs some interesting discussions (sometimes...). A similar thing happened in 2013 after New Leaf was released, even around the time I joined (which was a good five or so months after the game had been out). I just lurked a lot and enjoyed it. Maybe you were just fonder of the boards back then, or maybe you just remember a time pre-New Leaf when the game was still pretty niche and had a very dedicated, smaller group of fans, or even post-New Leaf when the conversation had died down a bit and a lot of the people who had only just gotten into the series had become bored. Who knows.

I think TBT is one of the more positive communities overall and I'm loving being back and contributing in small ways to posts, but it has never been without divisiveness - not everyone has the same take on the games.

I don’t feel that. But it’s true that some people complain for everything and it’s annoying...

In my honest opinion, TBT was at its worst in 2015, not since ACNH came out. Back then, people took collectibles too seriously, they took the villager tier system too seriously, there was several fighting on the old What’s Bothering You thread, the Egg Hunt was a disaster, and people were talking about this one cyberbullying site the staff wouldn’t allow discussions of. Since then, TBT sure has gotten a lot better, despite all political dramas, Time Traveling discussions, and other dramas during the time TBT was losing activity.

I think it's because NH just came out, and so it's bringing a lot of new people to the forums. And quite a few people seem to be under the impression that NH is not a work in progress.

Give it time and I believe TBT will mellow out significantly
I agree with this. The game just came out so some people are starting to show their greedy and rude sides while trying to accumulate as much wealth in money and possessions as they can in a short amount of time. Eventually things will mellow out and it'll all be okay.

Seriously though, I think the forum is pretty fine. There's some hostility, but that's just how people are. It wasn't gone before the game's release, now there are just much more people on the forum. It's important to not take things on here too seriously, just have a good time.

Idk, I remember quite a bit of negativity in the NL days too (I had an account even before this one), though I can’t say I was here when the game initially came out.
I remember before the amiibo update villagers going for insane prices (Marshal was much like Raymond), debate on the legitimacy of turnips or beetle hunting, and threads dedicated solely to negative tortimer experiences, etc.
Eventually things will calm down a bit as most people have what they want and are used to the game, however the negativity will always be there in some form. The animal crossing fandom isn’t awful by any means, but people always seem to put it on an unrealistic pedestal.

I think a lot of people (including me) are on edge due to being cooped up due to COVID-19. I try to be helpful to people and contribute to discussions, but there are a handful of things about NH and other topics that set me off and I get sucked down the rabbit hole sometimes. I think the community here is very positive in general, but I think it's important to remember that being critical of NH is okay. I'd say over 99% of people here like Animal Crossing in general, and people who complain just wish parts of the games were better. There are a lot of great things about NH, but there are also some significant flaws about the game which people like to discuss. It adds variety to the discussions here which makes things more interesting than people just talking about how wonderful the game is and how happy they are with their island. Some critique and negativity is okay as long as people don't beat the same path over and over again. If you want to avoid the negativity, it's usually pretty easy to find out which threads are going in that direction, and if you're looking for salt and spice there are plenty of places for that too. That's why most of us keep coming back.

a couple of days right after release was the worst of it, i think. made me switch to ac twitter, but no matter how much stuff i mute and people i block, its a constant barrage of complaints about the pettiest things. really exhausting.

constant fighting about entry fees, time travel, pretty much doxxing people over stealing reorderable items, feeding trolls and spreading harmful posts instead of blocking and moving on, impersonating accounts, reposting art with no credit, endless tracing and selling it for real money while devaluing artists who make original content, ego trips and self praise over basic decency, calling the fandom too whoelsome for drama and the turning around and starting it... just off the top of my head.

stuff is cheaper, but i don't trade all that much anyway. doesn't feel worth it anymore.

at least here i can skip threads quicker and there's actual rules, so i'm probably switching back to here pretty soon.

I fully agree. Not only do we have 100 threads on the same topic (either ranting on the following topics: NH music, villager dialogue, trading, finding Raymond and how annoying it is, missing npc’s, etc) but it’s also become, partly, a scene to bash Nintendo. I don’t understand the need of making so many of those threads.

I feel like if there are too many of the same discussion, there should be one thread catered to the discussion.
We cant even say this in one of them without having our comment removed for being off topic either....
I dont get why we need 1,000 different threads for the same discussion. There will be multiple complaints about the same thing on the same exact page?

They need to pin the rant thread and just have people put their very common complaints there to decrease the negativity in the NH forums. (Not that negativity is always bad; certain things we should be critical of!)

They need to pin the rant thread and just have people put their very common complaints there to decrease the negativity in the NH forums. (Not that negativity is always bad; certain things we should be critical of!)

We do not endorse the rant thread so will not be pinning it.

People are free to create threads on whatever they wish to talk about. A conversation topic that surfaces frequently does so because people want to talk about it. Those people who wish to discuss it should be free to. Those who don't are free to ignore it.

As a relative newbie, i have to say compared to many other places, especially reddit, this place is way better and kinder. I've seen a few negative things, like stealing/ taking advantage etc but you'll get that literally ANYWHERE. People are not always good, and that's life sadly. And I'm an 'older' player as well

Saying that, personally I've had nothing but lovely interactions, which has really helped because I'm an anxious player and i found reddit overwhelming. I'm totally blown away by the kindness I've received. I think it's a new generation of players as much as anything, people are going nuts over what is essentially just a game. But i also feel it will settle a lot as time goes on.

Also, don't forget that the world is in a state of panic right now, and I've seen that bring the best and worst out in people. When things calm down and normality starts to reappear, i think attitudes will also change :)

We do not endorse the rant thread so will not be pinning it.

People are free to create threads on whatever they wish to talk about. A conversation topic that surfaces frequently does so because people want to talk about it. Those people who wish to discuss it should be free to. Those who don't are free to ignore it.
Y'all don't endorse the rant thread but you guys endorse multiple individual threads stating similar rants over and over?

Back