• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The Resetting Thread

Take from me as someone who used to play this game over 3,000 hours back in 2020 its always best not to pressure yourself into getting stuff done. What I realized after restarting for like the 30th time that its best to take your time and do stuff at a slow place so that way you don't feel too overwhelmed. The 2.0 update made me feel pressured so it just got out of control. Now I know what to do since I've designed islands of what I want it to be and how I want it feel like. Yes I know I was crazy about this game a few years ago but nowadays I am taking it slow.
I totally get that. I played around 2,000 in 2020. No idea what 2021 and 2022 is for me, but I do play less and without the trading aspect there is less waiting around with the game on. I do feel like I am soon "done" with the game. Like if I get tired of it again, I am not tearing it down or anything. I'll probably just move on completely. Not out of frustration or anything (2.0 update fixed much of what I had a problem with) but simply because I played it so much.

I am also curious how many other people hit the thousands mark and got burnt out or overwhelmed considering the pandemic. I am also curious about how much our general view of the game would be different if the shut downs weren't needed then.

I totally get that. I played around 2,000 in 2020. No idea what 2021 and 2022 is for me, but I do play less and without the trading aspect there is less waiting around with the game on. I do feel like I am soon "done" with the game. Like if I get tired of it again, I am not tearing it down or anything. I'll probably just move on completely. Not out of frustration or anything (2.0 update fixed much of what I had a problem with) but simply because I played it so much.

I am also curious how many other people hit the thousands mark and got burnt out or overwhelmed considering the pandemic. I am also curious about how much our general view of the game would be different if the shut downs weren't needed then.
Truth be told. I am one those people who played the game since day one. I too was getting bored of the game because I ran out of stuff to do and I just felt lost with this game. However, when I got my 2nd Switch I was able to create a 2nd island. Of course it felt really weird starting a new island, but the more I played it the more fun I started having. I had an island in the Southern Hemisphere which compared to my old island was in the North Hemisphere. I always thought to myself "What if I picked South instead of North if I first played this game. Sure enough I found an island map that worked for me.

Also because I now have full knowledge of what the game is and what to expect going in the 2nd time I was able to plan out everything that I was going to do. It was a refreshing because when I first played this game I had no idea what I was even doing. When starting a 2nd island though I knew what I had to do. I found out myself why I got burned out on the game. I rushed through it and time traveled (nothing against it for those who do it). It was probably the biggest mistake I first did. So now with a new island in a different hemisphere everything just feels more refreshing and its weird to have 2 islands be in the North and South but its a good feeling.

I know I have a hard time myself understanding how people enjoy this game and I don't get it, but when I started a 2nd island I realized the most important thing. The game was meant to be played at slow pace. I guess because I rushed through it the first time I ruined the game for myself and I knew that was the reason I got so bored with it. Many people experience the game differently and its a common thing with Animal Crossing. Its played so different and have different experiences in a way every island you see is always different.

My advice would be to do new things that you thought you couldn't do before and with terraforming I usually just make whatever stands out to me and I don't try to compare myself to other islands (believe me I done that too many times) and I learned to just be myself and how I design the island. Since I took my time with the game I was having more fun collecting stuff, talking to my villagers, and of course making the island. So yeah its a strange experience for myself, but I don't regret having a 2nd island at all.

Also if you feel too burned out on the game its best to take a break. To get yourself recharged. You don't need to force yourself to play the game just because you have to, but in a way you will come back with a refreshed mind and figure out what you can do to make yourself feel more happy with the game.

today i did what i thought was completely out of the question for me and reset. i kissed everything goodbye; my villagers, my museum, my critterpedia, my diys, my bells, my catalog, my reactions, my huge inventory (rip all those materials), my happy home paradise progress, so on and so forth - overall it was a LOT of progress and sentiment to let go of. nearly 2k hours in total i think? i was originally going to flatten but decided "you know what? i think a clean slate would fix me".

while it's been so long since ive seen the start of this game and it feels kinda weird not having all the things unlocked that i did before, i dont regret this. in fact im excited! i get to start anew and im looking forward to falling in love w this game all over again. so, this is my final goodbye to my old and very loved island, cherrypine, and hello to my new one, elimora.✌️

FOyXOXwVUAENt6s.jpg
FOyXOYGUYAAugU9.jpg
FOyXOX5VcAEveIq.jpg

I had restarted my island three times when I first got the game back in 2020, I wanted the resident services to be close to the airport so I could have more space in the centre of the island to design. But I've been working on that island since then, and was never happy. I didn't have much space between resident services and the beach to the left, and the river mouth on the right.
The other day I just became frustrated and decided to start again. I had a friend hold a few items for me, like my villager photos. I'm really hoping this will be the last time I restart, and I'll be happy with this current island.

OOMF i finally reset my island I'm a little bit regretful since I had 2000 hours and 1 billion items on my island before and I'm starting from scratch and don't even remember how to get a vaulting pole lol. but im glad i reset I was in need of change to keep the game interesting

OOMF i finally reset my island I'm a little bit regretful since I had 2000 hours and 1 billion items on my island before and I'm starting from scratch and don't even remember how to get a vaulting pole lol. but im glad i reset I was in need of change to keep the game interesting
Just so you know if you have Happy Home Paradise you'll have to do a lot more work on your island just to trigger the cutscene where Tom Nook calls you to the airport.

Just so you know if you have Happy Home Paradise you'll have to do a lot more work on your island just to trigger the cutscene where Tom Nook calls you to the airport.
Oh nooo, really? thats a bummer but im gonna try not to time travel and just play when i feel like it im not really in a rush

i think it's a shame we only get one type now!
i'm resetting today too - trying for the natural heart pond map with peaches ♥
Good luck with that. It can be hard to get what you're looking for though. Trust me as someone who has restarted 50 times on the 2nd switch it is a pain to get exactly what you want.

today i did what i thought was completely out of the question for me and reset. i kissed everything goodbye; my villagers, my museum, my critterpedia, my diys, my bells, my catalog, my reactions, my huge inventory (rip all those materials), my happy home paradise progress, so on and so forth - overall it was a LOT of progress and sentiment to let go of. nearly 2k hours in total i think? i was originally going to flatten but decided "you know what? i think a clean slate would fix me".

while it's been so long since ive seen the start of this game and it feels kinda weird not having all the things unlocked that i did before, i dont regret this. in fact im excited! i get to start anew and im looking forward to falling in love w this game all over again. so, this is my final goodbye to my old and very loved island, cherrypine, and hello to my new one, elimora.✌️

That's beautiful. Do you have a Dream Address for your old save?

After months of holding off, I reset and I'm so happy I did it. I disliked many things about my old island and only saw wasted potential because I picked the map hastily; and now after reseting and taking my time to pick a map that I really liked I'm a lot happier. I like the new airport colour better too, and I got awesome neighbours :)

Sometimes having a change of scenery and starting again is all you need.⚘🌷

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sid
Hey it’s me again and yes I’m deciding to start again crazy right?
But I think I should play it a different way and that’s to catch every bug, fish and sea creature first and then terraform to my liking

I just don’t know what to name my new Island and I want a island name that doesn’t have a theme to it and the name must go with the seasons

I did it again... 😬

That orange airport had been slowly killing me for 4 months.

Good news though! I found my ORIGINAL map from March 2020. And got my yellow airport back! That was my first airport color too!

it's so weird being back here again. I still remember how everything used to be.

Back