The Resetting Thread

So I’m STILL thinking of resetting but it really scares me. Maybe it’s just that I’m not creative and/or really bad at terraforming and decorating but I really don’t like my island and feel like I need a fresh start. One of the main reasons why I would like to reset is the placement of my airport and RS. The RS is too close to the airport and I think it would be easier to design my island if my airport would be in the middle instead of on the right side.

I don’t get much enjoyment out of the game anymore and while I know it may sound ridiculous I feel a bit “burnt-out” overthinking my island so much...

The reasons that hold me back from resetting are that I started during the lockdown back in March together with a friend, my museum progress, my villagers and the bonds with them, the fact that it’s the island I picked while knowing almost nothing about NH (played CF and NL in the past though) and I have OCD so that makes it even worse resetting because I’ll probably overthink all of it. Including even the date I reset my game. It’s hard to explain...

I know it’s my choice but I want to get as much insight as possible before making the decision and avoiding instant regret.

I’ll even show an image of my lay-out. Don’t mind the red circles. They were for showing a friend some of the things that can’t be changed.

Attachments

• 3FA03C41-2BDD-4CB5-A330-D41212946385.jpeg
    3FA03C41-2BDD-4CB5-A330-D41212946385.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 850
So I’m STILL thinking of resetting but it really scares me. Maybe it’s just that I’m not creative and/or really bad at terraforming and decorating but I really don’t like my island and feel like I need a fresh start. One of the main reasons why I would like to reset is the placement of my airport and RS. The RS is too close to the airport and I think it would be easier to design my island if my airport would be in the middle instead of on the right side.

I don’t get much enjoyment out of the game anymore and while I know it may sound ridiculous I feel a bit “burnt-out” overthinking my island so much...

The reasons that hold me back from resetting are that I started during the lockdown back in March together with a friend, my museum progress, my villagers and the bonds with them, the fact that it’s the island I picked while knowing almost nothing about NH (played CF and NL in the past though) and I have OCD so that makes it even worse resetting because I’ll probably overthink all of it. Including even the date I reset my game. It’s hard to explain...

I know it’s my choice but I want to get as much insight as possible before making the decision and avoiding instant regret.

I’ll even show an image of my lay-out. Don’t mind the red circles. They were for showing a friend some of the things that can’t be changed.

You could always reset to start on the same day you played and TT to get pass all the initial tutorial information and come back to present day. The only downside is just more weeds and some of your nook miles will have different days.

You can always get villagers again especially if they have amiibos.

For your island layout, having a RS close to the airport is good for simple designs but you can't have too much stuff because it'll feel cramp. Did you have a theme for your island? The RS in align with the airport is good for making a shopping area and frees up space for the rest of the island for you to make whatever you want.

if you're feeling too attached to your current island it's worth reconsidering if you really want to reset...one thing you could do is try to reframe your RS/airport placement as a challenge to work around instead of an inconvenience, if that makes sense. plus you can always redo terraforming if you don't like how something's come out 😌

looking at your map there gives me a few ideas too tbh!! if you want to at all you can pm me and we could brainstorm a bit if you really want to try and salvage your island. in the end though it's your choice!

Thank you for the replies.

@Sharksheep : I don’t really have a theme for my island. I’d like a simple yet nice looking basic town feeling with some themed areas like the common “zen” areas and a mountain area for the campsite. I’m not a fan of the overcrowded crazy terraforming islands. They don’t feel like AC tbh.

@nageki : Sure I’ll PM you!

@IslaYuka

I think your current island layout is really nice for that. Having RS close to the airport but there's enough space for both shops, you can isolate it to a shopping area. You can border it with rivers, cliffs, or trees to make it feel separated from the rest of the island.

It is close to the airport but you can make paths leading to your shops and to other areas and decorate with tree, bushes, and flowers. The water can make it feel more cramp because you can't walk over it.

Last edited:
okay.... here's a dumb question. Since cloud save will become a thing. If I save it via cloud and restart my island. I keep it in 'airplane' mode if i do like the results can I retrieve my cloud save to overwrite the reset?

okay.... here's a dumb question. Since cloud save will become a thing. If I save it via cloud and restart my island. I keep it in 'airplane' mode if i do like the results can I retrieve my cloud save to overwrite the reset?

We won't know until more details come out. From what I understand there's two cloud saves. One for recovery and you have to contact Nintendo support and one you can use like any other switch game. The former is what's coming out soon and the latter is coming out at the end of year.

We won't know until more details come out. From what I understand there's two cloud saves. One for recovery and you have to contact Nintendo support and one you can use like any other switch game. The former is what's coming out soon and the latter is coming out at the end of year.

seems like a possibility. I really wish Nintendo releases patch notes. Browsing through the forum, a month ago there were several people with immediate regrets after the reset. If this is a the case it would be remedy for such a situation.

I have been going through it for the past like... month ugg.
So I played waaayyyy too much when NH came out, TTed a bunch to get furniture/materials/etc., terraformed like CRAZY, and abused the stalk market so I literally have never had to worry about making bells.

I terraformed so much over and over/flattened my island like 4 times now and never pay any attention to my villagers so at this point I don't feel connected to my town at all :c I'm not happy with the way I've structured my island and don't bother to talk to any of my villagers despite loving a few of them in general so I just... don't really play. I'm not sure how to change my map/terraform so I will like my town and feel like the only way to figure it out is by resetting and taking it more slowly from the beginning again.

A huge reason, aside from me butchering my town and having 0 ideas, for me resetting would be because i have been going through a LOT of life changes in the past 2 months and I feel like the game should reflect that as well? I just have the feeling I need to change everything in my life atm and animal crossing is definitely something that is easy to just start over fresh with in comparison to my actual situation atm. (I am moving to a new state/graduated college/am starting a new job with only me myself and my dog!!!)

If I did reset I would leave a lot of my favorite clothing and furniture items on my sisters island and just tt so I can run and pick them back up from her asap so I wouldn't be loosing ALL of my progress. (mostly seasonal items like the wedding event, hard to obtain items, and gifts from friends!!!) debating on if I should make the start date the 20th or go along with my "new life new me" type trend and not care although I will definitely care lol

Do you think its worth it??? I honestly cant decide ahhhh. who let me terraform and make major life decisions???? ;;

Side note: nintendo please make a "return my island to normal" option in the future to set the island back to the default map after terraforming too much

I have been going through it for the past like... month ugg.
So I played waaayyyy too much when NH came out, TTed a bunch to get furniture/materials/etc., terraformed like CRAZY, and abused the stalk market so I literally have never had to worry about making bells.

I terraformed so much over and over/flattened my island like 4 times now and never pay any attention to my villagers so at this point I don't feel connected to my town at all :c I'm not happy with the way I've structured my island and don't bother to talk to any of my villagers despite loving a few of them in general so I just... don't really play. I'm not sure how to change my map/terraform so I will like my town and feel like the only way to figure it out is by resetting and taking it more slowly from the beginning again.

A huge reason, aside from me butchering my town and having 0 ideas, for me resetting would be because i have been going through a LOT of life changes in the past 2 months and I feel like the game should reflect that as well? I just have the feeling I need to change everything in my life atm and animal crossing is definitely something that is easy to just start over fresh with in comparison to my actual situation atm. (I am moving to a new state/graduated college/am starting a new job with only me myself and my dog!!!)

If I did reset I would leave a lot of my favorite clothing and furniture items on my sisters island and just tt so I can run and pick them back up from her asap so I wouldn't be loosing ALL of my progress. (mostly seasonal items like the wedding event, hard to obtain items, and gifts from friends!!!) debating on if I should make the start date the 20th or go along with my "new life new me" type trend and not care although I will definitely care lol

Do you think its worth it??? I honestly cant decide ahhhh. who let me terraform and make major life decisions???? ;;

Side note: nintendo please make a "return my island to normal" option in the future to set the island back to the default map after terraforming too much

If you want your island to return to default, if you have a screenshot of the original map, you could always terraform it back to default or have someone draw up a random map in Happy Island Designer for you and you terraform the cliffs and water.

If you don't feel attach to your villagers, maybe it's time to kick them all out and start with new villagers you find or campers so it feels fresh? Is the terraforming just overwhelming?

If you want your island to return to default, if you have a screenshot of the original map, you could always terraform it back to default or have someone draw up a random map in Happy Island Designer for you and you terraform the cliffs and water.

If you don't feel attach to your villagers, maybe it's time to kick them all out and start with new villagers you find or campers so it feels fresh? Is the terraforming just overwhelming?

I think the terraforming is just getting overwhelming 😅 I've done it so many times I feel like no matter what it wont look good/I wont be happy

But maybe I'll try terraforming the island to a default map and see how that goes o:

Well I think I’m actually going to reset tomorrow. If anyone has reasons to tell me why I shouldn’t, now’s the time haha.

Well I think I’m actually going to reset tomorrow. If anyone has reasons to tell me why I shouldn’t, now’s the time haha.
this isn't a "don't do it" but now that the dream suite is finally out you should save your island as it is now and write the address so you can see it again.
as for resetting, i reset my island on the... 19th?
today it's upgrading from a tent.

I love my island and its villagers. I like the layout I chose... I just don't like how I've decorated it! I've been really inspired by all the horror themed islands I've seen and would love to make my island horror themed. Kind of like restarting - redesigning! Blood, dark flowers, mysterious gravestones... the whole nine! I have the money and resources for it, but I'm still kind of stuck if I should go ahead. If anyone has the dream codes of any horror themed islands I could visit, I'd love if you'd post them. I'm trying to get a feel of what I'd really want my island to look like :)

I don't have any DA to offer since the only Island I've visited is the Aika village (which is horror-themed) but I feel you on not liking how you decorated it. I did the same thing and I'm in the process of redoing my island. A tip I was told that I think is smart is moving all your villagers and buildings to the beach so they're not in the way of your decorating. I've been placing patterns where I want houses and buildings to go so I know how much to space things out. Sure its a bit pricey cause there's a lot of moving involved but it's worth it because you won't have to worry about being annoyed when a design idea pops into your head for the spot you just plotted a house haha.

I'm going to restart my island but i want to keep a some items and clothes. I need to put the items on another island when i restart, but I don't have any friends that play this game. Would anybody be able to let me leave my items on your beach for a little bit? (until i can get them after the reset) I would be happy to give you lots of bells (i won't be taking any so you could have them all). Same goes for items im not taking, and any villagers :)

I decided maybe rather than resetting ill probably just get a switch console and start a new map just around the end of march.. i got a late start this year and now i know more about the maps.. but maybe i wont even do that... i still even really do wanna reset sometimes... i just dont feel like its worth it quite... even though i DREAD the short dock..................>_< but i think i dread the resetting over and over again more.. its just easier to have another island atleast so i can hold some items and even some villagers..... ♓

Last edited:
Back