• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Official Wii U Information and News Thread

Fillfall

My Magikarp will slap you to death
Bells
Mailbox
I figured that I wanted to make an information thread about this console to. Right now it's not so much info about it, but I will add some stuff tomorrow. You may also post stuff you want me to add.

System information:
Wii U™
Launches:
Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.
Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
CPU: IBM Power?-based multi-core microprocessor.
Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
Picture of the console:
about-hw.jpg

Picture of the new control:
about-controller.jpg

More pictures: http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/gallery/device

Last edited:
Confirmed games:
New Super Mario Bros Mii
Zelda
Pikmin 3 (I think)
Games shown on the video longer down

Nintendo confirmed today that a new version of Smash Bros. will be coming to both the 3DS and the Wii U. This announcement was audibly the most well-accepted of anything Nintendo said. Nothing was shown and no further details were revealed, but we'll keep you posted on the news as it develops.

Last edited:
Videos

[size=+3]Wii U demonstration[/size]
[video]http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/wii-u/HW_demo[/video]

[size=+3]Developer interviews[/size]
[video]http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/wii-u/HW_DI_Sizzle[/video]

[size=+3]Software lineup[/size]
[video]http://e3.nintendo.com/videos/#/wii-u/HW_sizzle[/video]

Last edited:
[size+2]Questions and answers[/size]
Nintendo held a shareholders meeting at its Kyoto headquarters today. Here are a few bits form a Q&A that CEO Satoru Iwata responded to at the end of the event, as summarized at this blog.

Q: Won't Nintendo continue with plans to release text book software?

A: This is being done through DS and has been well received in places where it's used, but there are many who are against the idea having game systems brought into the classroom. Brain Age did change some minds, though.

Q: Question about earnings for Nintendo's board members.

A: In line with lowered company earnings, earnings for board members dropped. Iwata was the only person to make over 100 million yen (precisely, 137 million yen).

Separate from the transcript at the blog, Bloomberg reported that last year, six directors topped the 100 million yen mark. Iwata's earnings dropped 50 million yen from last year.

Q: Wasn't the reaction to the Wii U bad?

A: Reactions directly from L.A. were extremely good. The majority of the overseas media offered congratulations to Iwata. The reaction differed greatly between those who covered the product at the show and those who just covered it online. In other words, the point is how Nintendo can convey the value of the product.

Q: Is it not difficult to recover a new product from a slump?

A: Iwata replied that Nintendo had low software output for the 3DS launch. They hope to not have this problem with the Wii U.

Q: Is Nintendo's HD development ability okay?

A: Regarding Zelda HD, Japanese developers said that it could not be replicated on other machines. It was made in a relatively short period, so Iwata feels that HD development will not be a problem.
2132450734.jpg

From Nintendo's Wii U Zelda demo.

Q: Will core gamers accept Wii U?

A: Wii was not accepted by core gamers because they did not want to abandon their preferred control approach. Additionally, Wii did not use HD because HD cost performance at the time was low. Wii U makes it easier to use conventional controls. Also, the Wii U controller is not as big or heavy as it looks.

Q: Can't the 3DS be used as a controller for the Wii U?

A: It is possible technically. However, when doing this you lose the ability to go online (I'm not sure if Iwata is talking about Wii U or 3DS). Also, if you connect the two, players have to buy both system.

Last edited:
needs more rams

That's more than enough than what's needed. RAM is just to hold things like user imput and states. Consoles are very different than PCs when it comes to design, you don't need any head room, all the data is specifically designed to run in the same space. That's actually part of the reason why consoles exist.

That's more than enough than what's needed. RAM is just to hold things like user imput and states. Consoles are very different than PCs when it comes to design, you don't need any head room, all the data is specifically designed to run in the same space. That's actually part of the reason why consoles exist.
still needs more rams
maybe you can download some more rams for it, later?

I like the Wii U, it is unique, it will have better graphics, and the controller is sick!
That is good because as expensive as it may be, you will probably only need one (basing views on demonstration video)
Im especially looking foward to new super mario bros mii

JMzaF.jpg

Just gonna leave that here. Thanks Reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/JMzaF.jpg

Just gonna leave that here. Thanks Reddit.

Well no **** Sherlock. Nintendo wants to make all the games on 3DS for Wii U as well, and in addiction to the ability to be able to use a 3DS as a Wii U controller, it's kind of obvious it's based off the DS. I don't see how they could have made it more painfully obvious.
Really who's the joker who thought this image was witty or co- oh wait it's from reddit, that's everyone.

Back