• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Bought my first Wii U - what should I know?

Yoshisaur

Bells
I'll have it in a couple days as I ordered it online and thought I should be prepared for when it gets here :) I read a couple of the other threads of new Wii U user threads but had a couple questions specific to me :p

I got the Mario 3D World + Nintendoland 32gb Deluxe bundle plus these games:

New Super Mario Bros + Luigi Bros U
Captain Toad
Mario Kart 8
Mario Maker

I plan to get any DLC that there is for these games. Should I get any external memory at this point (I plan on getting it eventually- I've just spent a lot already haha)? I don't plan on buying games digitally until My Nintendo is out and seems like a good thing. I might end up with a VC or two. If I should consider external memory right away would my hard drive from my old laptop work with it? It's empty and I have a USB connector for it.

Other than that is there anything I should know? Anything I should consider getting eventually? I might get a pro controller. From my Wii I already have 3 Wiimotes w/ motion plus and two of those I think have the chucks.

Games I plan to get:
Donkey Kong TF
Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Party 10

and maybe a couple others if I ever get convinced I would like them ;)

If you aren't planning on storing games digitally you won't need any extra storage. You definitely won't need it unless you're storing Wii U games. VC take up a few MBs each usually. I have Windwaker, Mario Kart 8, Wii Party U, and a bunch of VC on my Wii U and I still have a ton of space left. Also, I would suggest just buying a decent sized SD or USB and the Wii U will format it automatically.

If you aren't planning on storing games digitally you won't need any extra storage. You definitely won't need it unless you're storing Wii U games. VC take up a few MBs each usually. I have Windwaker, Mario Kart 8, Wii Party U, and a bunch of VC on my Wii U and I still have a ton of space left. Also, I would suggest just buying a decent sized SD or USB and the Wii U will format it automatically.

Thanks!

Yeah, your 32 gigs is fine, especially as you are mostly staying away from VC and seem to prefer getting physical copies. The only reason I got an external hard drive was because I planned to store many large games (i.e., at least several gigs: Donkey Kong Country Freeze, Wonderful 101, Fatal Frame, etc).

If you do get an external hard drive, definitely get one with its own power cord so you don't go the less stable route of drawing power from the Wii U. Also, the one criticism I heard about external hard drives for a Wii U is that it will be slower to save and load data since you are forced to use USB 2.0 rather than 3.0 (as Wii U only uses the former), but having used the external hard drive for months now with many of my games, I haven't noticed a slowdown.

(That Mario Kart 8 DLC is soooooo worth it.)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I LOVE the Pro Controller. If you decide to get one, I very much recommend eBay, and looking for local sellers who have used copies that are nonetheless either barely used or still in great condition. I got two used Pro Controllers that look like they just came out of the box, and the two controllers cost me about $45 total.

not much to say other than GET SPLATOON!!!!!!!! and the Mario Kart 8 DLC

Pikmin 3 and Smash Bros are really good games and are highly recommended by me :)
Also as someone else said, the DLC for Mario Kart 8 is really worth it, especially the ACNL stuff. The stage is so beautiful.

i don't know much about storage stuff but it seems everyone else got you covered

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! One of the first things I did was get the MK8 DLC. I wouldn't be able to live without Wild Woods and playing as Isabelle, lol.

I am considering Splatoon! I thought if I could get it cheap (in case I don't like it) I would! Turns out Walmart will have it for 25$ on black friday. I will probably grab it :)

Aaaaand I got the Pikmin 3 demo so I might end up loving it and getting the full game!

You should know the Gamepad does not turn off and will suck away the battery like a vampire starved of blood for three moons. That is all.

The standard battery charge is certainly underwhelming, which is why I got the high capacity battery from the Nintendo Store. Worth it.

Thanks both of you! I have felt like the gamepad dies after a couple hours of using it :p I will definitely add that battery to my wishlist! :)

You're definitely going to need some extra storage if it's like an 8GB Wii U or something and you plan on getting Super Smash Bros. I think my Wii U's an 8GB one, and I don't have enough space for the latest update without extra storage.

Splatoon, splatoon, and must I repeat splatoon? I'm usually not a shooter person, but I kept hearing how good it was and I got it around a month ago. AWESOMEEE

You guys definitely convinced me into getting Splatoon. :D

I have a 32gb Wii U and should always have enough space (from the sounds of it) unless Nintendo's Black Friday sale coming up is lit

Last edited:
You do not need an external storage device. The save data files don't take up too much space, updates are normally pretty small in size and the Mario Kart 8 DLC is less than 1 Giga Byte per pack so you should be good!

And if you plan on wii u chatting with someone you've never met face to face, it can be very awkward XD

And if you plan on wii u chatting with someone you've never met face to face, it can be very awkward XD

OMG YES XD

I'm so sorry for being such a puss :eek:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thanks both of you! I have felt like the gamepad dies after a couple hours of using it :p I will definitely add that battery to my wishlist! :)

Good idea, my only complaint about the Wii U is the Game Pad's horrible battery life.
It lasts about 4 hours for me now, which is terrible since i play all day.

Last edited:
OMG YES XD

I'm so sorry for being such a puss :eek:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Good idea, my only complaint about the Wii U is the Game Pad's horrible battery life.
It lasts about 4 hours for me now, which is terrible sine i play all day.

Psshh it's fine. Agreed, the battery life stinks indeed

For me that 4 hours was most often realistically 2-3. The high capacity battery advertised a maximum of 8 hours per charge but has more realistically been 6-7. But still.... worth it. That and got a much longer charge cable for dirt cheap on eBay.

Back