• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I'm quitting ACNH (longest post ever)

oneinamelon91

Bells
This will be a long post. Sorry in advice for my bad english.
I really feel strange since ACNH was released and today I'm really starting to think to stop playing ACNH, so I need to write what I think so I can understand if I'm the only one feeling this way.

I became fan of Animal Crossing when New Leaf came out. I fell in love with it and I started to play lots of hours with it. My love for AC was growing a lot and I shortly became obsessed with it. After some time, they announced HHD and Amiibo Festival games.
Even if Amiibo Festival was a bit delusional, I used to enjoy it because it was on a new console, it had lots of different things compared to NL (different map layout, had graphics, references to works and so on...)
Same thing for HHD: After designing the entire plaza, I started to feel bored about the game, but at the same time I was loving the game because it introduced ton of new things: furniture outside, a giant plaza with tons of customizable shops, a lot of interaction with special villagers, villager interacting with stuff, villager making different things based on where they were located etc... And it was a great way to learn new stuff about special villagers.

Even if HHD and Amiibo Festival weren't good enough to replace New Leaf, I never get bored playing New Leaf. I used to have 2 copies of the game and after the update came out, I bought another one and started a new city.

After some years, I started to dream about the new game and it became an obsession. I used to analyze HHD and Amiibo Festival to speculate on how the new game could be. I even started to bring Animal Crossing content on my channel, where I used to talk about AC origins, trivia about special characters, speculations and things like that.
Since the new game was taking so long, I decided to search for all the missing games and try them. I couldn't define myself as a big AC fan without trying all the games.

I started with Wild World. I really some things about the game and I was really surprised about some features removed like talking about blood donation or talking about donating to a poor city, or the dump, but I was having difficulties with commands. I really hated every time to need to change between touch and buttons (in New Leaf you can make both things with any problem, while in Wild World, if you are on touch mode and you press a button, it activates button mode and you need to press that button again to make it work...). This made me quit the game shortly and after that, I tried City Folk.
I really loved that game! Even this time I was really hating the commands...Using the Wii remote pointer to make some action was really stressful, but the game was really fun to me and I loved it! I know some people hate this chapter because they say it's a carbon copy of Wild World, but I enjoyed the fact that it was introducing a plaza with lots of shops. And Serena... gosh, I loved her! She was so funny and unpredictable! But commands brought me to quit the game after some weeks, because I was finding really difficult to play it.
Before I move on, I'd like to say that even if I had difficulties with commands, I really loved both games!

After some months I finally was able to buy Animal Crossing for Gamecube.
Gosh, I can't believe how much this chapter surprised me! It was more than 15 years old and you could see that for lots of things, but the game was so full of things that all the convenient features missing were not penalizing the game. I used to play it with a broken gamestop Gamecube controller and I had drifting problems, buttons not working but gosh, I never got bored about that game! It was really fun to see villagers interact and every mean dialogue was even funnier! I loved little events like morning routine and the tropical island with the special islander... Gosh, so cool!
I managed to pay the entire house loan and get the golden axe from Farley...
If I think about my favourite Animal Crossing, I can't decide if I love more New Leaf or the first Animal Crossing, but I think I would choose the original one.

And now there's New Horizons. I wasn't 100% convinced about this chapter because of the new mechanics, but I thought "Nintendo always did a great job, so I'm sure this chapter will be epic". But it wasn't like I thought.
From the start, I felt like something was different and of the most important things about the standard Ac games was missing: feel relaxed.

Since the first day of playing, I have a constant feel of anxiety and even game's music isn't helping for this. Some times I really wish I could be able to turn the music off and just play enjoying nature sounds. I was a big fan on Animal Crossing soundtrack and I used to use it as ringtones too.
Sometimes I used to play New Leaf songs to relaxing while studying or working at the computer, but now I sometimes prefer to completely mute the game and play it without sounds, instead of listen to the music.

But this is not all:
-This game is incomplete. New Leaf introduced lots of new things (like diving,Tortimer's island, Dream Suite...) and all these things are now removed from the game. Why? I know some people will answer "they are planning to add them with updates", but why? It took 7 years to release the game, so why they are releasing it incomplete and adding things slowly?
Aya Kyogoku said that this game was made to be played at least for one year and I was like "gosh, if she said this, is because New Leaf wasn't expected to last this long, but I played it for more than 4 years, so how much will last New Horizons for me?".
But now I'm here, after one month and I already want to quit the game, because now I know that saying the game was expecting to last one year, she was meaning that they were cutting all the features from the previous games and adding them who knows when.
This is not my idea of making a game last longer, to be honest.
This is the first thing that really started to making me feel really bad while playing the game and now that one month is past, things are getting worst.

Gosh I'm writing so much and I still need to say a lot, so I think I'll proceed with points:
- Events: Easter events was a big delusion. Nintendo's twitter accounts were promoting this event like it would have been epic. Before NH was even announced, I used to make videos on my channel about ideas I had for events. For example, I imagined this:
Before easter day, you received a letter from Zipper T. Bunny and attached to the letter, there's a ticket. You bring that ticket to Porter (who will wait for you with an hot air balloon in the plaza) and he will bring you to the Easter Island. This is a special island you can only visit on easter day and it's full of themed houses and decorations... Your goal is to help Zipper T bunny to find all the eggs hidden on the island and bring them to him. You will get themed furnitures based on how many eggs you bring to him. But that's not all! Some special villagers lives on this island and if you help them with some side quests, you can convince them to come to live to your town!
This is a 3d model I found on the web that I used in my video to present my idea for easter day event (I used tons of other images to present the idea, but this is not the topic of this post):
Schermata 2020-05-04 alle 14.18.47.png

Now... I wasn't expecting a big isle like this, or a bigger event like. the one I talked about, but I was expecting something new for sure.
Easter event started before easter and after 3 days I already finished all the diy recipes. And when easter day came,Zipper T Bunny justsaid "oh cool you got everything, here are new diy recipes! And after literally 15 minutes,the bunny event was already over.
But the Earth Day was announced and it was the biggest disappointment ever.
This was where I decided to stop following Nintendo's twitter accounts, becausethey promoted this event again like it was this big event, when the only special thing about this event was Nook Miles missions.
Leif was introduced with the update, but since he will be available even after the event, it doesn't make him part of it, so this event is literally based only on one nook miles mission each day.
- Multiplayer/Online save. Playing with other players was lot of fun in New Leaf. You could go to Tortimer island and play lots of funny minigames or collect fish,bugs or dive together to collect fish creatures. Now all of this stuff is disappeared and the only thing you can do is run around the isle collecting fruit, fishes or bugs. you can craft materials, but if one player gets the material from a tree, the other can't, so it's pretty pointless... But the worst thing is: while you are playing with somebody, you need to pray for connection to don't stop, because you can't save in this game. It's 2020, now you pay to play online but surprise, you can't save and you need to leave/go back to the isle every 5 minutes if you don't want to lose everything.
I'll not mention the fact that this game was designed to force you to play with other players (for example, you can't get different fruits from your native and sister one, if you don't get them from other players).
- Lack of buildings. New Leaf had 14 different buildings (if you don't count the photographic stand and if you count Gracie Grace and Leif has separate shops) and Happy Home Designer had like 10 different buildings and you could even customize them outside and inside!(happy home designer example of SOME of the customizations for just one building:
1588596449282.png
1588596455903.png
1588596460385.png
1588596466054.png

1588596479510.png
1588596502183.png

So ok, you don't want to release the shops at the beginning, but at least give me the opportunity to make my own buildings, since it was possible in a spin-off game!

- Mystery island. Advertised like cool mystery island where you can find villagers you can invite in your town... SO COOL! turns out that they are just a bunch of pre-existing island and after you have all plots full in your island, you will not see new villagers on mystery isles. And when you finally have an empty space, you have one day to find a villager on mystery islands, or random villager will take the empty space.

- Villagers. While NH introduced new things regardin villagers (compared to New Leaf - since Happy Home Designer already had most of these things), I feel like it's not enough. At the question "will you introduce new personalities"? Aya and Hisashi answered, "we will not add new personalities because we will work to make the existing ones better".
Ok, I'm fine with this. But I feel like it turned out to be the same thing as gamefreak did with pokemon. Villagers always repeats the same things and if you get 2 villagers of the same personality it even gets worst (NH has 8 different kinds of personalities, but you have space for 10 villager in the game, so you are forced to get double). I had Hamphrey and Dobie together in Hamphrey's house and while I was talking alternately to both, they were repeating the exact same dialogues.
Snooty villagers are now the sweetest personality of the game. They are always like "honey you are so cute!" "honey thanks for this" "honey you are the best of the world".
New Leaf lost lots of naughtiness, but now it is totally disappeared.
The meanest dialogue I got was from an uchi villager that said: "you keep coming here but you don't say anything concrete".
Another problem here is that villagers don't ask favors anymore... I used to get 3-4 requests each day in New Leaf, but now I can barely get one every 2 days.

- Designs. You pay to unlock the opportunity to download other's design, but you have only 50 slots available. You could think that it is cool compared to New Leaf who only had 10 (or 12, I don't remember). that's true, but in New Leaf you were able to create other characters to have other slots available. Happy Home Designer gave to the player 120 slots. And in New Horizons you need to share your 50 slots with ALL the players. So if you divide them, you get about 6 slots for each player... It's like half of the slots available in New Leaf. And the funny thing is that now you pay to unlock other players designs.

- Annoying things to do. Some things are really boring. Moving flowers in New Leaf was so good, but now it is a nightmare. You need to shovel every single flower, your shovel breaks so you need to go to make a new one and repeat this every 5 minutes if you have lots of lowers. And let's not talk about creating repeated items. I see some people paying other players nook miles ticket to make stuck of fish baits.

Today I played the game and I found myself running through the island without knowing what to do. After one month, my island is almost complete.
I have some free zones and I really don't know what to do with them, because I would like to make some commercial zones, but:
- Timmy and Tommy have only 4-5 items available each day (and there are no more upgrades available for now) and it seems like they are always the same. I should start stalking other players to ask them every day what they are selling in their isle, but I'm not that kind of person.
- If you create some stands with the diy recipe, you can't put "raw" items on them, or Isabelle will lower your island rating.
- I already reached the 8 ramps limit.

So I'm stuck here. I'm at 360+ hours of gameplay (I think that half of them running randomly without knowing what to do) and now I only play the game to talk to the villagers and collect materials and fossils (you can do this in half an hour) and then I already don't know what to do.
This is the first time that this is happening for me. Even the original AC made me play for lots of hours each day and in New Leaf I used to play

I still feel like I didn't explain well how bad I'm feeling. I hope you will not take this post as a hateful post because it isn't.
I'm just a big big fan of Animal Crossing who is feeling sad and deluded because he feels like New horizons is not like other Animal Crossing games anymore.
I waited for this game so much, I wasn't able to really enjoy other games during this years because could only think about this game and now that I have, I already want to quit it. It's really depressing.

Probably no one will read this poem, but I needed to write this somewhere, even if after all of this, I still feel bad...

EDIT: Just want to add one thing: I think that the biggest problem for me is that the game is incomplete for now, compared to New Leaf. Ok, maybe they'll update it adding the missing stuff, but this thing is making me more anxious, since I don't see why I need to work on my isle now if they will add things in the future and I will need to completely change my island to fit the new stuff.

EDIT 2: I'm having some difficulties to reply to everyone... I was not expecting this post to get so much attention. I saw there's a recurrent answer and I feel like it's better to answer here.
Lots of people are using quarantine to "justify" the fact that I can't enjoy NH anymore. That's not true.

I now leave in my own house and I have lots of things to do even if I'm quarantined, but when NL came out, I used to be home 24hours a day because I didn't go to school nor to work. So I used to play to NL even more than how much I play NH now.
So the quarantine is not the problem. The problem is that this game is incomplete (for now) compared to NL.
New Leaf had a lot to offer: just think about the good multiplayer were you were able to make lots of things without losing the progress, or the island with lots of minigames, or Harriet, were you could go to make receive a random and unexpected haircut, or diving, collecting bugs/fishes with friends... Some of the multiplayer things are available in NH too, but since you can't save during online multiplayer, it is like they are not existing.
So it's not a problem of how many hours I played NH, because I played NL even more and never got bored.

Last edited:
I did read all of this. You might just need a break, rather than to quit - you have put a lot of time snc effort into your village and your villagers. If you don't delete your island, you can always change your mind.

I am pining after some of the old games, but I wonder if they will be as fun as we remember when we go back. A lot of us have put a lot of effort into this game, with lots of hours available due to lockdown. We might be a bit burned out because we have accomplished a lot close together and now we're running out of achievements, and the pace of the game is slowing.

Maybe go back to the older games, report back on how you find them, and stay in touch with this community - the people who understand why you are passionate about these games.

I did read all of this. You might just need a break, rather than to quit - you have put a lot of time snc effort into your village and your villagers. If you don't delete your island, you can always change your mind.

I am pining after some of the old games, but I wonder if they will be as fun as we remember when we go back. A lot of us have put a lot of effort into this game, with lots of hours available due to lockdown. We might be a bit burned out because we have accomplished a lot close together and now we're running out of achievements, and the pace of the game is slowing.

Maybe go back to the older games, report back on how you find them, and stay in touch with this community - the people who understand why you are passionate about these games.

Thanks for the time you took to read everything.
Yes, a good thing about NH compared to NL is that it hasn't big side effects if you don't access to the game every day so I can take a break.
Even if now we are in quarantine, the situation is not different for me compared to when New Leaf came out, because I used to don't go to school and don't have a work when I played it, so I used to play lots of hours on it too.

The fact that we ran out of achievements might be due to the lots of the free hours available through the day and few things to do instead (I live in Italy, so here we were completely quarantined in home since march - even if I live alone with my boyfriend and there's always a lot of things to do when you live at home without parents), but I think that the biggest problem (as I added in an edit in the main post) is that the game is incomplete for now.
It is missing lots of things compared to NL and even if we know that some of them will be added, we still don't know which one will be added and we don't even know when, so I'm having a lot of anxiety thinking about how I will plan things on my island if maybe 2 months later I will need to make everything from scrap because they added new things and I don't know where to put them because my isle is full.

I will stay in touch with this community for sure. I changed lots of communities (I'm staying really far from Italian communities because they are really toxic) and now even if I don't post a lot in here, I sometimes read other post and I feelgood in here.

Thanks again for your time and your answer.

I read the whole thing and I think it's OK you are feeling this way.

I think maybe either take a break, or pick the game up again once lots of updates have rolled out so you come back and have more to work with, since you said you feel anxious about planning if you don't know what's coming. I completely understand this.

I don't really have much more to say other than saying the other games are still available to you. I might go check on my GC/NL town even! Maybe play these games for the next couple of months if you feel like it and come back to NH once more things have rolled out to see if you still like it? And if not, you could maybe sell it.

I also felt the same way about the HHD buildings, I even remember posting on here that I hope restaurants and grocery stores make their way into NH just like in HHD. The music too, with how relaxing the WW and NL soundtracks were, I really was not happy with the NH soundtrack. At this point I'll mute and play other games' songs during the night instead.

I think right now a break for you is most ideal.

I'm so glad someone has put into words how I've been feeling recently!

The game has just gotten.... boring?? After like a month of gameplay?
I understand that they're adding new events and things gradually and all that but for the meantime the game just feels so hollow? I have over 400 hours and I think half of that is just me staring at the screen, willing myself to find something to do because I don't want to admit the game is lacking.

It's a gorgeous game and was so fun in the beginning, but there's just not enough to do man.

I also think you got the topic of villager dialogue SPOT ON!!!!!
I've got mostly wolves on my island so I have quite a few crankies (by my own choice) and I can basically recall every single thing a cranky villager can say to you. I feel like they could take the villagers out of the game and it would more or less be the same - they don't seem to be the main focus unlike previous titles.

Feel comfort in the fact you're not the only one feeling like this. Maybe a break is needed?
I've been limiting how often I play now and it gets me more interested in the game.

You've brought up some really good points here though, for which I'd have to agree to most if not all of them.

While I agree that the game is incomplete, I'm actually a fan of this update model. In New Leaf era, everyone had everything in the first week with agressive time traveling and it completely ruined the social and trading aspects of the game for me. I prefer the content be gated by updates so I don't feel miles behind everyone else, as someone who doesn't time travel and hasn't at all in NH.

I prefer this "slow burn" style of animal crossing being enforced a little more than in New Leaf, where you couldn't even have anything worth trading unless you abused your system clock immensely. However, that doesn't mean this comes without its problems. I will admit I wish this game had more content at launch. The "slow burn" as it is is a little too slow. and I think every Animal Crossing fan is worried that their favorite character or feature might just... not happen. That's something that does worry me.

Events so far have been mundane, but your idea for events is quite frankly unrealistic. Especially since they're doing events for minor holidays and pumping out 2-3 a month, the amount you expected from the Easter event is pretty ridiculous to hope for, frankly. the Easter event sucked, but it's not like Bunny Day was everyone's favorite holiday in New Leaf either. Bunny Day furniture has always been awful, and quite frankly the fact that they saw complaints and hotfixed egg spawns I think is a testament that they're committed to this game.

I'm not a rabid fanboy who thinks this installment is above criticism by all means, and while some of your complaints (tedious crafting, lack of items in stores, 8 ramps limiting creativity quite a bit, shared design slots (currently my biggest problem, I invited my two little siblings onto my island and it's been a nightmare them filling my inventory with awful designs) some of your criticism seems silly or some expectations seem set too high.

Yes, they had 7 years to work on this game. But this game needed MASSIVE graphical enhancements from New Leaf, on a whole new system which might not even have been conceptualized when New Leaf was released. the game looks gorgeous, and I feel that was their main priority. So far they've been good at addressing complaints and releasing frequent updates, for now let's hope they keep the streak going.

Just wanted to share my own thoughts, since I really resonated with some of your complaints and really disagreed with others. I still enjoy the game, and I could see myself playing the game in its current state with no more updates at least until the end of the first year, when I stop getting seasonal DIYs and such. I have high expectations that Nintendo can make that 1 year into 4 or 5 with a few updates.

I’m very sorry you feel this way but I think you might just need a break. New horizon was released in a very peculiar moment for half of the population: being in quarantine, almost disconnected from real life, made a lot of people play like crazy, while I strongly believe than animal crossing is a game made for short game sessions(at least, that’s what always worked for me). I really like this new game, the graphic is pleasant and I have fun but I can understand some of your concerns as I have them as well. Mainly small things that I can wait or live without but for me the biggest thing is villager dialogues...they are boring, plain, repetitive. I always loved normal personality villagers, they are my favourite and now I have 4 on my island and I’m just crossing my fingers every day I load up the game that at least one will ask me to move. I miss the mean comments, I remember when I was younger playing with WW how fun getting mean dialogues was. Now it’s all sugar and vanilla and it’s boring! I don’t think this will ever change so I must get used to it but for now, this is my biggest concern.

Honestly? I have to agree with you on every point.
This is exactly how I've been feeling.

The lack of options, the missing features, the boring villager dialogue...
It feels so repetitive.
They gave us an unfinished game.
I have a bad feeling they'll hide the features we should have gotten in the first place behind some sort of pay wall...

So what if snooty villagers were a little mean?
At least it's better than them being some doting drone.

Zipper's event was tragic...

Diving should have been included from the beginning.
Why are we missing so many iconic furniture sets?

Drives me bonkers...
I'm still playing, only an hour a day if that.
But I've found some other games I can play to hit that itch.

(Not trying to advertise... But if you're looking for something else to play...)

Littlewood is a cute pixel harvestmoon-ish sort of game.
TemTem might hit that Pokemon vibe for ya.
Stardew Valley everyone will suggest if you haven't played it yet. (That's on Switch too!)

I'm just sitting here... Holding out for a HUGE update on ACNH that will actually give me a reason to play...
While also waiting for some other games to release that I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy more.

I thought this was going to be a flounce-type post from the title, but you expressed yourself really well, and I agree with a lot of what you've said, too - it is incomplete, which has been my biggest complaint, because it impacts my own enjoyment of the game; I was expecting there to be more polish, for more love to be there, idk.

But it's definitely not healthy to feel such all-encompassing anxiety toward New Horizons either. I 100% get that you care for the series - we all do, though some more than others obviously - but if you literally can't enjoy NH because of your attachment to older titles, then quitting probably is the right move for you. The older titles will always be there; no one can take those away from you. And NH will still be here if you ever change your mind.

A good, long break will do you good. Whether you come back is up to you. You know yourself best, so take care of yourself. ♥

I wanted to adress the topic of people saying they're bored after 320/400 hours. like, the game came out 45 days ago? if you're bored of the game, it's because you've logged 8-10 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY SINCE LAUNCH. take a break, go play something else. Valorant is pretty good if you're into shooters, Minecraft is getting a huge update, Xenoblade definitive edition is coming out soon. Maybe you're like me and you haven't finished all the routes in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I'm coming back to that after 250 hours of Animal Crossing. It's okay to be bored if it's the only thing you've done for a month and a half. Nintendo couldn't have predicted that we'd receive this game at the exact time most of us get holed up in our houses all day. Learn a new hobby, Go outside and take a walk if you live in a rural area and that's an option. It's okay to be bored of a game that's given you 400 hours of enjoyment. take a break and come back for events and updates.

I read this all too and I understand that you are feeling burnt out. I think lots of people are feeling this way because lots of people have already put 300, 400, 500+ hours into this game after only a month and a half.

To answer your question as to why Nintendo decided to slowly add "old" features...
It is so that people continue to play the game. Animal Crossing will always have that loyal fanbase that logs in every day for years, but most people will lose interest after a few weeks. With other games you either play until you beat the game then stop playing (Breath of the Wild) OR a game where you play for years to get better and better (online FPS, MOBA's). Animal Crossing is a game you never beat but it's also a game that you don't get "better" at. It wants to be a game you play for years though. If there is a new event, new feature or something coming out every two weeks then people will continue logging in.
I'm not saying that this is a good business practice... but it is a smart one.
I'm the the point of logging in for 30 minutes a day or less. But, man, when those hedges came out... I went hard again. So a part of me is happy that Nintendo is rolling things out slowly. Another part of me is anxious that they'll roll out minigames after quarantine and I'll have less time to enjoy it.

I think you solved the reason for you being unhappy with the game by saying you've played for 360+ hours in a month.
Every ac game gets to the "sign on for 30min just to water flowers, look in shops, and talk to villagers". You've played more acnh in one month than you likely played every other ac game in a month or even months.

Yes. The updates are slow to roll out but... that's the point. Acnh wasnt planned to be released during a pandemic when people are bored at home doing nothing with hours of free time. It's meant to be a relaxing 1-2hr/day when you get home life simulator to wind down after the stressors of work/school/day to day life.

Definitley take some time away and space out your play times; play for those 30/min a day or every other day and then move on to something new. I've stopped obsessively playing for the same exact reason; it's getting boring. But it's also because we arent supposed to be playing 10hr/day.

I only skimmed through some things on here and don't 100% agree with all of your points (for example I like the dialogue even if it could still be better and think some of the mean GC dialogue is too harsh), but I do agree with a lot of it--the game feels incomplete to me too, as if even though it was delayed they needed more time, especially with all the glitches and the fact that multiple of them are massive and gamebreaking and/or make people feel uncomfortable with using multiplayer features. I don't like the update model because I absolutely hate the uncertainty of so many things being gone and not knowing if they'll come back and just having to say "well maybe we'll get it with an update!" and I'm really upset that the minigames are gone, they hyped up 8 player multiplayer but what's the point of it? I was hoping for more minigames and never expected they'd be gone completely, and honestly? 8 player multiplayer takes forever to even get everyone in because of the loading screens and then lags to unplayability and it makes me wonder if they even tested it at all. Also, I hate when people say we're looking at NL with nostalgia goggles or whatever because I literally still play New Leaf, I have 4 towns and I still play it every day and I'm having more fun with it than NH still so yeah I feel you, OP.

I really shouldn't be going off on my own rant on your post though so I'll just say this: it's okay that you're feeling this way! I feel like you should just take a break rather than entirely quitting the game, but that's up to you and I get how you feel.

I'll not mention the fact that this game was designed to force you to play with other players (for example, you can't get different fruits from your native and sister one, if you don't get them from other players).

Sorry, but what? This is not true. I think you worded this wrong or something

a lot of yall are definetely looking back at NL with rose-colored glasses because once you unlocked all the shops there wasnt much to do lmao i also got bored of NL at one point. take a break from the game and relax, im sure the game will meet your expectations in a few months and years to come.
I think I might be in the minority and I am about to say a very not popular thing but I hated NL. Being the mayor, what? I bought it when it came out, played a little bit, left it there to collect dust for years and then came back later when the rumours about a new AC game started to go around. But I hated it so much, I only love and always will WW. I still play it sometimes 😬

I read your post. I genuinely believe that most of the features you miss are on their way back. This is the first animal crossing game that has been released on a platform that can easily receive routine game updates.
Take a break for now and try some other things (I highly recommend Stardew Valley, but you might already be playing it). When you come back, there will likely be more updates that will help in returning ACNH to what you love about the series.

I understand you, I ended up going back to an old MMO I used to play and I have barely touched the game in a week. I got pretty overwhelmed decorating my town and stuff, I am also not a huge fan of the hourly music and I feel like that plays a lot in it for me. It doesn't really have the charm as old games did. It feels stressful instead. Doesn't help that I had to restart and I clocked so much time already into it because of quarantine.

I personally never saw the Welcome Amiibo update on NL, so I don't really remember how I felt about New Leaf because I honestly didn't really "play" all that much. I kinda used it to cycle and that was it

You don't have to decide now for the entire future. If not playing right now helps you or feels better than that would be a wise choice. You don't have to close the entire book though, you can just see how you feel not playing a d maybe someday you'll miss it and find that feeling back of excitement. I can understand what you say even though I don't recognize myself in it. I think its kind of embedded in this type of open world, no defined goal type of game. Sometimes by not specifying any goal, you create a feeling of claustrofobic need to reach certain goals you set for yoursrlf, because it xan be overwhelming. Thats even withoit considering that the game evolved in a direction that doesn't feel right for you.

I hope whatever choice you make will feel right for you and you always will feel the freedom to make a new choice again. Good luck.

I think I might be in the minority and I am about to say a very not popular thing but I hated NL. Being the mayor, what? I bought it when it came out, played a little bit, left it there to collect dust for years and then came back later when the rumours about a new AC game started to go around. But I hated it so much, I only love and always will WW. I still play it sometimes 😬
Lol I thought I was the only one who thought similar to this!
I liked NL but... overall WW and CF were both more fun to me. NL brought about a strange sense of competition in the community and I always felt like my town wasnt good enough. I'd constantly restart and stress over every little detail which made it not so fun. Also the mayor thing confused me since isabelle seemed to do all the work :p
This time the island rep seems more natural and such since it was pretty much voted on/agreed upon by the other two villagers. In NL you just walk off a bus and everyone's like ITS THE MAYOR and you have no clue??? Plus I'm loving the return to a slower pace. nl was a whirlwind and I can see how this can be painfully slow compared to that but... it's a great change of pace back to the simple days of WW imo

Back