• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Reasons why the Wii U Virtual Console is terrible

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
For a while, I thought the virtual console was a good idea. While Nintendo is trying to appeal to the newer generations, they also appeal to the older generations by re-releasing their older games digitally. However, the Wii U VC was a disaster.

Many consider the Wii U to be the worst console by Nintendo. And it is. Even the Gamepad is a bad idea. While overheating puts a limit on the GameCube, Wii, and Wii U, the battery life puts a limit on the DS, 3DS, and Wii U. But my top issue is the Virtual Console. In my honest opinion, I am actually angry with the VC.

After two days of no blogs, I came up with this complaint about the VC. There are five reasons why I am dissatisfied with the VC for the Wii U.

1. The Wii, DS, and GBA games - there's no reason for these games to be on the Virtual Console. Having Wii games on the Wii U VC is like buying dinner for someone who already had dinner. Or getting them a Lego set or DVD they already own. Or giving upgrades in a combat game to the most powerful player. There's no need for a Wii VC library if the Wii U is backwards compatible. Yes, I am fine with having Wii games on the digital store for the Wii U since Wii U games are on the digital store, but it doesn't need to be labeled under "Virtual Console". Especially if we judge by NoA's performance on releasing games to the Virtual Console. If the Wii games do get labelled under "Virtual Console", then can they at least release another game on the VC from another platform? Going by one VC game a week, the Wii games are slowing down the others. As for the GBA and DS games, why would you release handheld games to a console's VC library? I'm okay with Super Mario Sunshine or Paper Mario TTYD being on the n3DS VC (if they ever do), but not DS games or GBA games on the Wii U VC. Handheld games do not belong on consoles. The reason why I'm okay with the other way around is that Nintendo has improved on handhelds to where console games (like Ocarina of Time) are compatible on the handhelds. But DS games and GBA games belong on the 3DS VC, not Wii U VC. The only old games that belong on the Wii U VC are NES games, SNES games, N64 games, and GC games (and Wii if you want to count Wii under VC). Putting DS and GBA games on the Wii U VC is like letting others eat your food when they had theirs, stocking groceries or snack food in a GameStop outlet, or throwing empty pizza boxes in a recycling bin for plastic bottles.
  2. NoA's handling of VC titles - speaking of NoA in the last reason, it's time for the second reason. One of the most frustrating parts about the VC is that it takes a long time to get more games. Yes, I understand that Nintendo releases games slowly mainly because it takes a while to emulate games, as it needs to be tested, but just seeing NoA's releasing of VC games is terrible. Europe and Japan gets two to three VC games a week while we only get one. I wanted N64 games for the Wii U VC, and due to the fact that they release only one VC game a week, I wouldn't get as many N64 games as I wanted. I don't know why they would release just one game a week opposed to Europe and Japan. Is it because Japan decides what North America gets? Is it because NoA prefers Indies over older titles? Or is it that NoA has a harder time emulating games than the others? Combined with the Wii, DS, and GBA games and the "one game a week" thing, it's making N64 games released less frequently. Why do they prioritize N64 VC releases least? I understand that the entire N64 library is smaller than the other consoles while they don't have licensing to some of the more popular games, but there's no reason to not have first party titles they own. Where's Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, Hey You Pikachu, and Mario Party 3? Where are the first-party N64 games from the Wii VC that never made it to the Wii U VC. And why refuse to release Mario Kart 64, Majora's Mask, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Snap, and Mario Party 2 to the NA Wii U VC?
    Lack of Wii U VC titles for NA isn't the only problem with Nintendo's treatment towards NA. They single us out, they don't release all of the Club Nintendo merchandise they do in Japan and Europe, and the bundles aren't as good here. At least the amiibo card packaging thing is better here, and they gave us more time to collect Series 1 cards. But still, it's not fair to single us out.
  3. N64 games are ruined - aside to the failure to release N64 games till we can get a full library of first party N64 titles, the N64 games do not seem to go well with the Wii U VC. The N64 had C buttons instead of a camera stick. And the Wii U controllers have a camera stick like PS3 and not like GameCube. So emulating games with the camera buttons would be painful with the right analog stick since it's easy to mess up. Not only that, but the brightness is lower on the Wii U VC than the original N64 games. DK64 was ruined the most. Because of how the framerate for DK64 went up, some of the missions were much harder on the Wii U VC than on the N64 version. They should've sped up the Kong movement while retaining the frame rate.
  4. No GameCube titles - as much as I like to point out the GBA and DS games combined with a lack of N64 games, the Wii U VC is missing GameCube games. I ended up getting a GameCube earlier this year (specifically the winter) because of how I couldn't play Super Mario Sunshine on the VC. I also got it to play the GC games I never played as a child. Plus, Nintendo promised to release GC games to the Wii U VC, but they didn't keep their promise.
  5. No restore points on Wii titles - the save states/restore points are a good idea, even if it is cheating if abused. But on the Wii VC, there's no way to use save states and restore points, which makes some segments more painful. There are some ridiculously hard missions in Super Mario Galaxy. Without save states, you'll be forced to start over many times.

That's all for the issues I had with the Virtual Console. I no longer have respect for it. Because of their poor treatment towards the N64 VC, I ended up getting a used one. And because of the lack of GameCube games, I got a GameCube for my birthday. Trust me, Virtual Console is a failed service, especially in NA.

I look up to you because you actually took the time and motivation to write all of this ;P

I'm surprised that you didn't acknowledged that the NES emulation on Wii U is worse than their Wii counterpart when it comes to display and input lag. Here, its video quality is darker and fuzzier, as if it was outputted from an old composite cable. The button inputs are delayed by about 4 frames or so (and a few more when watching on the Wii U GamePad), therefore rendering parts that demanded quick reflexes even harder to pull off.

If you'd like to play the most essential NES titles, I'd suggest investing on a NES Classic Edition for about $60 instead of buying them on Wii U eShop 5 bucks a pop. According to GameXplain, It fixes all of these aforementioned video quality issues.

TheBigJC7777777;bt13103 said:
I'm surprised that you didn't acknowledged that the NES emulation on Wii U is worse than their Wii counterpart when it comes to display and input lag. Here, its video quality is darker and fuzzier, as if it was outputted from an old composite cable. The button inputs are delayed by about 4 frames or so (and a few more when watching on the Wii U GamePad), therefore rendering parts that demanded quick reflexes even harder to pull off.

If you'd like to play the most essential NES titles, I'd suggest investing on a NES Classic Edition for about $60 instead of buying them on Wii U eShop 5 bucks a pop. According to GameXplain, It fixes all of these aforementioned video quality issues.

I'm glad that the NES Mini will be better than the Wii U VC on NES games. It's only the N64 games that I'm worried about. Not only they didn't release Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Pokemon Snap here (the latter one being the only one translated to VC), but they screwed up Donkey Kong 64 (my childhood favorite game).

I think the NES Mini is better than the NES Virtual Console on Wii U, but it's not out yet.

I can PROMISE you that the Wii U is doing a lot better than the N64DD and the Virtual Boy did.

And I don't have to worry about Virtual Console because I have all those old game systems and can buy retail copies if I please. *sips tea*

Have fun with your Mini NES. i have an NES from 1987 that is huge and weighs more than a brick! xD

Back