• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The METAL thread! \m/

I think I was like 6-9 at the time. I had no internet or knowledge of those kinds of slang words and their double meanings (also, it all goes back to what I said in this post).

What James Hetfield said about that album cover kind of made me laugh though:

Lars and Kirk were very into abstract art, pretending they were gay. I think they knew it bugged me. It was a statement around all that. I love art, but not for the sake of shocking others. I think the cover of 'Load' was just a piss-take around all that. I just went along with the make-up and all of this crazy, stupid **** that they felt they needed to do.”

Last edited:
I'm looking for some recommendations from Metallica fans - I'm thinking of listening to all their albums, but I don't know where to begin. Would it be better to start from the beginning or from their best albums?

For reference, I'd probably go with "...And Justice for All" and "Metallica", maybe "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" after that. I'm not sure what to pick because I'm not super familiar with their discography.

^I say start from the beginning. Generally speaking, their first 5 albums are considered their best.(y)
Post automatically merged:

Btw, if you end up liking those you may also want to check out Testament...they're somewhat similar in sound. Their last few albums are especially good:

Last edited:
I'd say from the beginning as well, so you can hear the evolution in Metallica's sound, but you can also just listen to whichever albums interest you the most. At least, that's what I usually do when there's an artist or group I'm interested in and they happen to have an overwhelming amount of albums.

So far, I've only listened to all of Metallica's studio albums from the 1980s and 1990s (since the singles I've heard from the albums released in the 2000s didn't ever fully capture my attention). This is how I would rank them:

1. Master Of Puppets
2. Ride The Lightning (It's really, really, really close with #1 though!)
3. ...And Justice For All
4. Kill 'Em All
5. Metallica (AKA The Black Album)
6. Load
7. ReLoad

The albums from the '90s typically get a fair share of hate from fans, due to the change in style (and the band allegedly "selling out"), but I don't think they're as terrible as they're often made out to be; both albums have some great songs, even if they do contain filler.

I haven't listened to Garage Inc. in its entirety yet, but that compilation does have some awesome covers, so I should probably do so one day!

Yes, that's also a wonderful cover and I certainly enjoy it more than the one by Bob Seger (or whoever the hell originally performed it, ha ha). By the way, how would you rank all of Metallica's albums that you've listened to? (Feel free to do so if you wish).

Last edited:
If I had to rank them it might go a little something like this:

1. Ride the Lightning
2. Master of Puppets
3. ...And Justice For All
4. The Black Album (their self-titled)
5. Kill' em All

I haven't really heard any of their post-self-titled albums fully though I've heard enough to say I'm not a huge fan lol.

Nice, we have some similarities. I placed TBA below KEA because it has a chunk of tracks that I find to be either average or unmemorable (particularly most of the second half). Amusing how the vast majority of fans agree that RTL and MOP are the best Metallica albums, yet TBA is still the highest-selling one.

Also, I was thinking about St. Anger from 2003. While I do like the title track to some degree, I still doubt the whole album will be all that good (reason I've been putting it off for years). The drum snare here may sound like Lars is clanging on a trash can or pots and pans, but there's something about it that I enjoy, ha ha (perhaps it's the RAW sound it emits?).

Last edited:
When I stream music from YouTube, I rarely ever check out the comment sections since I usually have that website in the background as I'm doing other things (aside from that, reading comments on there just doesn't interest me much). But out of curiosity, I decided to read some of the comments present on the music video for Ozzy Osbourne's "See You On The Other Side". Man, that has got to be one of the most depressing comment sections that I've seen ;_; (I guess it's expected, considering the nature of this sad, beautiful song).

Oh hey, I had forgotten that Coal Chamber once covered Peter Gabriel's "Shock The Monkey". Hasn't ever been a favorite of mine (and that includes the original), but this cover isn't as bad as I remember it, he he (Ozzy is also featured, so that's cool).

I've been revisiting some releases from NECRONOMIDOL, and was reminded of "Lamina Maledictum" and how much it rips (even if the vocals happen to have a karaoke quality to them at times).

Also, I was thinking about St. Anger from 2003. While I do like the title track to some degree, I still doubt the whole album will be all that good (reason I've been putting it off for years). The drum snare here may sound like Lars is clanging on a trash can or pots and pans, but there's something about it that I enjoy, ha ha (perhaps it's the RAW sound it emits?).

I listened to that album earlier today, and I personally thought it was decent; Not the best in Metallica's discography, but it's not terrible either. There weren't many songs that I particularly liked or thought was interesting. (Frantic, Purify, and All Within My Hands were some of my favorite tracks though.) I would still recommend listening to St. Anger, and you might find some songs you like. :)

Speaking of Metallica, I've listened to their first 8 studio albums (plus Garage, Inc.) so far. I'll hold off ranking their albums until I'm finished their discography, but I definitely agree that their first 5 albums are the best. I'd say my favorite is either ...And Justice for All or The Black Album. Both have so many good songs!

I've been meaning to post this for a bit, but it completely slipped my mind! 😅

In the end of Korn's "When Will This End" (final track on the Take A Look In The Mirror album), there's a live performance of Korn playing "One" by Metallica. I didn't recognize this song when I first heard it on this track, but I knew it was Metallica.

I came back to this album recently and was like, "Oh wait, this is One!" It's one of my favorite Metallica songs, so it was cool to hear it from a band I really like. (Obviously no one sings it quite like James Hetfield, but I'd say Jonathan Davis did good here!)

It's around the 10-minute mark (I couldn't timestamp it in the link).

Ooooh. I’ve been a hard-core rocker girl, my whole life! Not all metal of course I like a lot of hard rock and all kinds of other stuff but, I absolutely 100% Rock out!!!

Oh yeah and little fun fact @ZeldaCrossing64 & @Ghost Of Mascevanje not sure if y’all knew this going back to the three Little pigs the band green jelly came out as green Jello and we sued by Jell-O company and they had to change their name. I wish I still had the tape and yes it was the tape not the CD of the original but I lost my tape collection from my move from Austin to Houston.

Here is my “short” list:
A7X (seen twice) (this is our family band)
Tool (seen, hubs has seen like 6 times)
A perfect circle (had to eat our tickets as our vehicle broke down literally on our way to that concert)
Puscifer
Ffdp
Ghost (Hubs has seen)
BB
Goddmack (seen)
Korn (seen twice)
NIN
Pantera
Gemini Syndrome
Disturbed (seen)
SOAD (seen)
Black label society (seen)
Ozzy (seen)
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth
BFMV
Mudvayne
Type O Negative
White Zombie
Deftones (my first unsupervised by an adult, concert!)
Soooo many more but My morning nerve meds are kicking in and I can’t think straight. Please start working coffee!!!!
*** now this one may not be considered metal, but she is my absolute favorite and that would be Amy Lee of evanescence who I got to see back in August 2007 and she is my idol!!!

Yes, I was aware of that and always thought it was pretty amusing, ha ha. Sorry to hear about you losing your tape collection though. Also, I enjoy about fifteen of the groups you mentioned!

I listened to that album earlier today, and I personally thought it was decent; Not the best in Metallica's discography, but it's not terrible either. There weren't many songs that I particularly liked or thought was interesting. (Frantic, Purify, and All Within My Hands were some of my favorite tracks though.) I would still recommend listening to St. Anger, and you might find some songs you like. :)

Speaking of Metallica, I've listened to their first 8 studio albums (plus Garage, Inc.) so far. I'll hold off ranking their albums until I'm finished their discography, but I definitely agree that their first 5 albums are the best. I'd say my favorite is either ...And Justice for All or The Black Album. Both have so many good songs!

I think I'll eventually listen to it! "Frantic" was also one of the singles from that album, and I do remember digging that one a bit as well.

PS: For some reason, I forget Take A Look In The Mirror exists, even though I very well remember all the lead singles from it, including that "One" cover!

Wow! It must've been awesome seeing so many concerts from so many great bands. I'm seeing some of my favorite artists in that list, too. 🤩 I haven't been to any concerts, but I'd love to someday - Hopefully all the bands I like play in Montreal sometime soon, haha.

And I didn't know that little fact about Green Jelly, but it's pretty interesting. And I'm sorry to hear about you losing your tape collection, that must've sucked big-time. :(

I think I'll eventually listen to it! "Frantic" was also one of the singles from that album, and I do remember digging that one a bit as well.

PS: For some reason, I forget Take A Look In The Mirror exists, even though I very well remember all the lead singles from it, including that "One" cover!
Yeah! I really dig the "Frantic-tick-tick-tick-tock" line in that song in particular. Apparently St. Anger is generally disliked by the fans, but I really don't think the album is that bad. (I'll bet it's 100x better than Lulu... XD)

I'll be honest, Take A Look In The Mirror is a pretty 'meh' Korn album. Even though I prefer it over their newer stuff, I still find it a bit boring. The only real standout, in my opinion, is "Y'all Want a Single"... But who doesn't know that song?

Back