• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The METAL thread! \m/

The name of that website is awfully similar to that of The Metal Archives (AKA Encyclopaedia Metallum). I haven't ever felt compelled to join that particular site (Metallum) for various reasons, one being that I don't like how they exclude some bands/styles for not being "metal enough" (Korn and Rammstein are some examples. I think SOAD and Slipknot are also excluded from their database).

I've known about MMA for awhile, but haven't really checked it out in full depth (will try to do so).

one being that I don't like how they exclude some bands/styles for not being "metal enough" (Korn and Rammstein are some examples. I think SOAD and Slipknot are also excluded from their database).
I've definitely heard the "nu-metal isn't real metal" argument many times, but that's just brutal. 😭 Those are some of the biggest nu-metal artists and they're still being excluded?? Yikes.

Speaking of, I decided to watch some music videos, the first one being A.D.I.D.A.S. by Korn. The videography is good and I thought the concept was interesting, but the censorship is straight-up atrocious. I get that artists had to censor profanity for their videos to air on MTV or YouTube, but wow.

The second music video I watched was Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit. I mostly watched it 'cause of the Jonathan Davis cameo... I thought it was good, but I never noticed how much language there was in the lyrics until now. Like, "F-bomb in every other line" kind of thing.

Eh, I suppose it's the video itself that's more appealing. You can always hear the uncensored version of the song online or on the album, anyways.

Yep. Lots of Alternative/Nu/Metalcore groups seem to be excluded from there (a couple of Industrial Metal ones too). Did a search on Slipknot just now, and only some super-duper obscure band that I've never heard of popped up XD

About "A.D.I.D.A.S.", for some reason I've always enjoyed the edited version more than the uncensored one, ha ha.

Yep. Lots of Alternative/Nu/Metalcore groups seem to be excluded from there (a couple of Industrial Metal ones too). Did a search on Slipknot just now, and only some super-duper obscure band that I've never heard of popped up XD

About "A.D.I.D.A.S.", for some reason I've always enjoyed the edited version more than the uncensored one, ha ha.
Huh, I didn't know there was an obscure band that was eponymously named after, y'know, one of the most popular nu-metal bands. (Or the other way around, I think. Or maybe they just share the same name by pure coincidence... I don't know, actually.)

And I get what you mean - I would've preferred to hear the original track in the music video, but there's some humor in the edited version, too. My friend pointed out that it sounds like Jonathan Davis is trying to hold back his laughter while saying "humping", and now I can't unhear it. XD

Last edited:
Yeah, Encyclopedia Metallum(a.k.a. "The Metal Archives") are incredibly elitist, I don't really use it for that reason. The Metal Music Archives, on the other hand, are FAR more open-minded and DO include nu metal and metalcore bands in their database. There's still people there that don't like nu metal and metalcore but they don't spout elitist BS the way The Metal Archives do...at the very least, I've never noticed it. They still respect people who DO like those sub-genres!

Oh neat, a Metal thread!! I enjoy all kinds of music myself but my favorites are definitely within the metal genre.

My dad loved to play classic rock and Metallica a lot whenever he would get the chance and that stuck with me.

I remember my first time really listening to metal was when I was in elementary school and a neighbor friend let me borrow her CD player. She had System of a Down and it was really a great experience listening to them for the first time. I ended up getting my own CD player and back when it was really popular to burn CDs, I would ask my cousin or older brother to help me make my own playlist of songs I really liked from different bands lol

I also remember my first time listening to Slayer's "Reign In Blood" CD. My brother's friend let him borrow the CD and we'd listen to it together. Great times! 🤘

Yeah, Encyclopedia Metallum(a.k.a. "The Metal Archives") are incredibly elitist, I don't really use it for that reason. The Metal Music Archives, on the other hand, are FAR more open-minded and DO include nu metal and metalcore bands in their database. There's still people there that don't like nu metal and metalcore but they don't spout elitist BS the way The Metal Archives do...at the very least, I've never noticed it. They still respect people who DO like those sub-genres!

It doesn't really bother me if someone just doesn't care for those styles of Metal, as I know that everyone has different preferences (I'm also just accustomed to others hating things I love, ha), but if there's a website allegedly dedicating itself to Metal music, then I expect to see all kinds of Metal in it! (That means everything from proto-Metal to Nu Metal, Glam Metal to Death Metal, Grindcore to Funeral Doom Metal etc.).

Huh, I didn't know there was an obscure band that was eponymously named after, y'know, one of the most popular nu-metal bands. (Or the other way around, I think. Or maybe they just share the same name by pure coincidence... I don't know, actually.)

And I get what you mean - I would've preferred to hear the original track in the music video, but there's some humor in the edited version, too. My friend pointed out that it sounds like Jonathan Davis is trying to hold back his laughter while saying "humping", and now I can't unhear it. XD

According to Slipknot's Metallum page, they formed sometime in the '80s and released an EP in 1989. So I guess Slipknot predates Slipknot.

Oh and yeah, the "h-h-h-h-humping" part is one of the reasons I like the edited version!

Depressive Black Metal is probably my least favorite style of Black Metal, but there is some material within it that's great, such as Il Était Une Forêt... by French-Canadian duo, Gris. This is an above average album!

Depressive Black Metal is probably my least favorite style of Black Metal, but there is some material within it that's great, such as Il Était Une Forêt... by French-Canadian duo, Gris. This is an above average album!

I've never heard of French-Canadian metal despite being French Canadian but that sounds interesting! Have you listened to the album and is there a particular song you would recommend? I might give it a listen.

Speaking of black metal, I've always dug this tune by Rotting Christ:

I've never heard of French-Canadian metal despite being French Canadian but that sounds interesting! Have you listened to the album and is there a particular song you would recommend? I might give it a listen.

Yes, I personally think the album is enjoyable from beginning to end, but a highlight would be "Le Gala Des Gens Heureux" (it's the second track. I've time-stamped it for convenience).

Alright I like linkin park but other than that I don’t listen to much metal
That's cool! I'm not super familiar with Linkin Park, but I've heard some good songs from them.

If you want, you can ask for metal recommendations in this thread. I'm sure there's users who would love to help out.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, I personally think the album is enjoyable from beginning to end, but a highlight would be "Le Gala Des Gens Heureux" (it's the second track. I've time-stamped it for convenience).
I just finished listening to that song, and wow! I don't understand most of the lyrics, but after some translations I got, "It's a damned orchestra that accompanies my..." and "The violinists are mutilated in grey pants" (yeah, wow). The song itself is great, so I might listen to the full album.

Last edited:
i really like the band Get Scared which i think is nu metal? thats prolly one of my favorites, i also like Pierce the Veil but idk if they count or not. i occasionally listen to Metallica too

My dad showed me the song "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jelly earlier. I recall hearing it some years ago, but I didn't really care for metal back then (nor did I know who this band was, haha).

It's actually pretty good, for a song that's basically a metal version of a fairy tale (I think). The ending lines are interesting - "So the moral of the story is... A band with no talent can easily amuse idiots with a stupid puppet show"... Wow. XD

Maynard James Keenan from Tool did the falsettos on the "Three Little Pigs" song (the "not by the hair on my chinny chin chin" part) while Danny Carey played the drums. I didn't know that until many years after hearing the song!

A one-hit wonder: "A Violent Reaction" by American Head Charge from the album, The War Of Art (released about two weeks before 9/11 occurred).

Back