• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Imposter Syndrome

Have you or do you experience Imposter Syndrome?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darkesque_

it doesn't matter if you love him or capital H I M
Bells
Switch
0511-6300-4547
Zen Easter Egg
Nightmare Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
Aurora Easter Egg
Stardust Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Golden Scenery
Rotating Fool's Egg
Golden Scenery
Zipper Sakura
By doing a quick Google search, Imposter Syndrome is defined as “the condition of feeling anxious and not experiencing success internally, despite being high-performing in external, objective ways. This condition often results in people feeling like ‘a fraud’ or ‘a phony’ and doubting their abilities.”

Recently, I was accepted into my dream college and music school. Both my college and music school are extremely competitive and difficult to get in to. I also had to audition in order to get accepted to the music school, and I spent countless hours practicing for the audition. I did well enough to not only get accepted into the school, but I also received a $1,000 scholarship. I know I should be proud of myself for these achievements, but I feel like I’m not worthy of them.

Have any of you experienced this feeling, and if so, how did you cope with it? I know it relates to self-esteem, but I can’t seem to build my self-esteem. Any of your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated. 😊🫶🏻

I've got major imposter syndrome, but I use it to propel myself instead. Whenever there's a chance I think I could fail something, I aim for 120% so that in the end not only do I usually end up not failing, but end up doing better than I thought I would. Utilizing it in this way has allowed me to get as far as I have by now, and through countless situations.

I think it is relatively easy to relate "Imposter Syndrome" to luck. At least in the sense that (from my experience) there is doubt you "earned, deserved, or are not good enough" and you got lucky to get where you are. Attributing such to luck would imply that you randomly achieved what you did, which would be untrue. Sure luck in an aspect of everything, but no one has huge breaks of continuous luck that are the main determinant.

Take this for example; there are two wealthy millionaires. The first of the two, recently won the lottery after buying a lottery ticket, allowing him to take his place among the millionaire status. The second of the two, however, became a millionaire through years of hard work: studied hard in school, made connections with those around him, gave it all while working, and took every chance he could at promotion. The one caveat of the second person was at the hiring session for one of the promotions to become a top earner: the interviewer later revealed to them that they couldn't decide between him and another candidate (they were both equally qualified) so they picked him because they liked his suit better.

Now what's the difference between both people? The first of the two became successful and earned his status purely by luck - he won a bunch of money in a random way, not at all controllable by him. The second of the two, though, while luck was a factor that helped him succeed, they put themselves in the position for sucess in the first place. Luck, by no means, made him wealthy - he wasn't randomly selected on the street to make millions simply because of his suit. He worked his way up, put in the effort, and with a little luck succeeded. The difference between the two people was luck was the sole determiner for the first, but a minor player for the second. Ultimately they both got lucky but the second person positioned himself for it to be a 50/50 chance while the first person relied on a 1-in-a-million chance. The point is, while luck plays a role for everyone if there is a chain of events and purpose leading up to the final destination" (for lack of better wording) don't attribute it to luck, but to skill and perseverance instead.

As in your case, you weren't that one-in-a-million chance. You practiced hard for the audition (and I'm sure before that learning your instrument as well), and hell, you even earned a scholarship for your performance. My point is, don't attribute it to luck - you put in the work and they recognized that; you succeeded! Just recognize that your hard work and skill ultimately got you there and that because of that, you belong! And of course, congratulations, you earned this!

I'm quite the opposite and more so suffer from "self-deprecation" than feeling like I'm a fraud. Though I wouldn't call it suffering, rather I'm just... awfully humble, if that makes sense. 🤷‍♀️ I like to believe I am undeserving of all the good in my life, but I will gladly accept 'em as I feel appreciative that I should receive this of all people. It's one thing to not appreciate yourself, but to not appreciate the good people and circumstances you have in life... that won't do! 😤

I'll worry about myself once I'm 8,000 ft. underground chained up to a boulder next to whoever invented mathematics. 🔥 Numbers are too hard, man! I only have 11 finge- wait... 😱 *looks at my hands.... looks at you.... looks at my hands again....* Ohhh yeeeaaahhh! 😎

I have a chronic case of imposter syndrome and I really think I am a perfect example of the definition for 'Imposter Syndrome'.

I gave up everything for my academic career. For the depressing context: I was homeless, I dropped everything and moved across the country, I travelled for upwards of 5 1/2 hours a day, I skipped things like groceries and cut off friends and family alike so I could be here today - and I say that literally because I am typing this from a computer in my university's library! The point is, I gave up my entire life and everything I knew so I might have a chance to go to a good university and get a good degree, and thus far it has very much paid off! Even if I dont take myself very seriously, I cant deny the fact that I am really smart and when I apply myself to something I can do really really well. I got an AAB in my pre-university exams and I only got the B because I chose to let myself have a break in that subject.

However, I spend so much time thinking I dont really deserve the top grades I got and that I dont deserve my place at my university, even though I know I more than put in the expected amount effort for these great grades Ive gotten back. Its definitely gotten better as I've settled into university life and have found my place amongst my cohort (our first year ends - oh! Next week!) and getting really good grades since I started uni has be reassuring, but I do still find myself afflicted with the crippling anxiety that I am a fraud who deserves nothing. I will sit up at night and tell myself that I dont deserve the good grades Ive gotten, I actually know nothing and should drop out immediately. I tell myself that one day everyone will realise Im secretly this terrible evil student and they'll all kick me out of my friend groups and classes and other impossible catastrophic things. Even as I type this I can almost hear my partners voice now, who so often tells me that this is just my own anxiety and I have all of these wonderful opportunities in front of me because I earned them.

I was once told by a very smart friend of mine that the people who get imposter syndrome the worst are the least likely to actually be as terrible in their field as they think they are. I would say he was right about that, but between you and me I will still spend every night questioning my academic achievements... as a treat. :)

Last edited:
no, chances are if i believe im doing something wrong or im doing a bad job, i am. i like to ask for feedback if i think im doing poorly. i have a self confidence issue but not imposter syndrome

unless this entire response is imposter syndrome. tbh im not sure what it even is.

oh yeah, i experience this tons as evident from my "what's bothering you?" posts lol. i'm trying to work on not feeling like this by telling myself "i'm exactly where i want to be and i deserve to be here 100%." but i still find me asking myself "is it imposter's syndrome or am i just incompetent??". oh well.

Nope. If I accomplish something, the world shall know about it for years to come as I glow in happiness.

(I do question the purpose of things i'm doing sometimes).

Honestly irl i wouldn't say so and online too i try to be myself best i can be with anyone i can trust to but otherwise to strangers not really no i don't really feel like you could be myself with anyone online cause you never know what the other person is like or who's even in charge of the place and when situations like that occur i just pretty much jump the place asap and leave no trace behind as best i could because i can't really have full 100 percent with trust on anyone that isn't my parents or pets.

As for acomplishments myself can't really say i have any that makes me feel like i did nothing to acheieve it.

Back