The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really think you can say there's a right or wrong way to write fantasy. Some people like his style, some don't. It doesn't mean he was wrong.

Yes, you can. You totally can. Just look at the Eragon series. Seriously, though, as a writer I can tell you that there is a right and wrong way to write everything. I can also tell you that Fantasy is one of the hardest genres to break into as a writer because it is so easy to write badly. And, as a writer, I'm telling that I don't like Tolkien's work, I like his ideas, and I kinda hate his writing methods. And I think C.S. Lewis is a better writer, and did fantasy better than Tolkien.

Okay, yeah, but here's the thing about fantasy: You're not supposed to the world build in the actual novel. That's what the planning process is for. That is something fantasy writers have to learned from Tolkien because he did the exact opposite. It's, like, he published his rough draft and, like, half of his notes.

Are you stupid? Have you even read the LOTR trilogy?

You know there are HUNDREDS of different versions of the LOTR? Tolkien died a long time ago, and since then his family members + people that now own rights to the trilogy have released numerous different versions, all of which contain MANY changes to the actual literacy of the book. Tolkien's work is on par with that of a god's.

& Back to the actual context of the book, of course Tolkien planned his stories lol... You know the lord of the rings trilogy wasn't the first of its kind? He wrote the Hobbit prior to writing TLOR, so to say that he "made up everything" as he went on (not your words, but what you've insinuated) is stupid, because he didn't simply make up everything as he went on.

And on another note, if you lack the attention span to be unable to finish a book then you should question yourself, not what you're reading. Tolkien's work is like the epitome of the fantasy genre. Reading his books I found myself so immersed in them that it felt like a super natural experience. If you find yourself getting out of touch with a fantasy book then you should really question your decision to read that specific genre.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Omfg. I was just trying to have a civilized conversation with you, and felt you'd implied that I lived in Ohio, but if you're gonna be a jerk then just STFU. I don't have time for this negativity in my life. I'm just trying to enjoy the damn thread.

you're being a jerk, not him...

if you're going to reply to civility with that much hostility then I'd just recommend you leave this thread. no one needs that kind of negativity here

Yes, you can. You totally can. Just look at the Eragon series. Seriously, though, as a writer I can tell you that there is a right and wrong way to write everything. I can also tell you that Fantasy is one of the hardest genres to break into as a writer because it is so easy to write badly. And, as a writer, I'm telling that I don't like Tolkien's work, I like his ideas, and I kinda hate his writing methods. And I think C.S. Lewis is a better writer, and did fantasy better than Tolkien.

Dude, again, that's just your opinion. There are thousands of people out there who love both his ideas and writing style. Just because something isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it's bad/wrong, and if you're a writer it concerns me that you don't realise that.

I don't really think you can say there's a right or wrong way to write fantasy. Some people like his style, some don't. It doesn't mean he was wrong.

Yes, you can. You totally can.

...No, not really.

Like many things, the quality of how something is written is often subjective.

If he's got terrible grammar and punctuation which looks like it was written by a 12 year old school girl using 'txt spk' then yea, I guess, but from what I've read here that doesn't seem to be your issue.

inb4 the inevitable "you don't even know his work" that I'm expecting. That's irrelevant to the point I'm making..

Last edited:
Okay, yeah, but here's the thing about fantasy: You're not supposed to the world build in the actual novel. That's what the planning process is for. That is something fantasy writers have to learned from Tolkien because he did the exact opposite. It's, like, he published his rough draft and, like, half of his notes.

To be fair, Tolkien also didn't put the entire world into the one novel. Along with the appendices, there is the entire *History of Middle Earth* detailing the creation process in 12 volumes. There's also *The Silmarillion*, which goes into detail about the wizards and other creatures not fully expounded upon. {Granted, I've heard that the latter book is interesting but reads more like an encyclopedia. I've never read it, unfortunately.} There are even more books on the world and lore of Middle Earth itself than the ones I mentioned. Tolkien only put a fraction of it in LotR in comparison.

- - - Post Merge - - -

...No, not really.

Like many things, the quality of how something is written is often subjective.

If he's got terrible grammar and punctuation which looks like it was written by a 12 year old school girl using 'txt spk' then yea, I guess, but from what I've read here that doesn't seem to be your issue.

inb4 the inevitable "you don't even know his work" that I'm expecting. That's irrelevant to the point I'm making..

Now, I strangely want someone to make a Twitter to tell the story of LotR in tweet format. :p

Speaking of books, Harry Potter's first title isn't the same here.

UK: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
US: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter is a charm of the UK, and I hope the US didn't Americanize it very hard.

Harry Potter is a charm of the UK, and I hope the US didn't Americanize it very hard.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/differences.html

There's a place that lists a lot of the differences between the various editions of the HP series if you're interested.

Last edited:
Are you stupid?
you're being a jerk, not him...

if you're going to reply to civility with that much hostility then I'd just recommend you leave this thread. no one needs that kind of negativity here

You have the nerve to sit there and call me stupid then accuse me of being a jerk? The reason I responded with such hostility yesterday is because I had negative mood swing and missed taking my antidepressant on time, and I felt that he was being rude. If he had posted just 15 minutes later AFTER I took my pill, I would have totally ignored him. I realize that my illnesses aren't an excuse, but I'm also completely incapable of controlling my own emotions -- do you have any idea how it is react rationally when you're like that?

Anyway, this Tolkien thing has gotten completely out of hand, IMO. Obviously, you guys disagree with me and the only way you'd see things my way is if you actually tried writing yourself. It's not as easy as you think, and once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to recognize bad writing. But I also think that when it comes to Tolkien, you either love him or you hate him. Personally, I hate him and like I said, I prefer C.S. Lewis's take on fantasy.

Last edited:

oh, no we certainly did- in america harry is an anti-hero, ron is black, and hermione has huge boobs
jk
But honestly, who says "the baker's opposite"?

I find it funny how you're still implying that it's an objective fact that Tolkien is a terrible writer when it's clearly not. Also, you don't have to be a writer to form opinions on other people's writing. That, frankly, makes no sense. If I were to become a writer, I'm pretty sure my opinion of Tolkien wouldn't change. I don't care much for Mark Twain's writing style, but I wouldn't call him a bad writer by any stretch of the imagination.

------
on-topic:

Difference - I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the fact that the US uses USD {dollars}, while the UK uses GBP {pounds}.

Obviously, you guys disagree with me and the only way you'd see things my way is if you actually tried writing yourself. It's not as easy as you think, and once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to recognize bad writing.

How do you know that they don't or haven't already tried?

That's also like the "ok, you guys can have your opinion but I still win" response...

OT:

I don't know if it was mentioned (not checking 33 pages to find out)

America is big on tipping (money). The UK isn't.

by their logic most everyone's opinions are worthless

"this game is bad"

"yeah, well have YOU ever tried making a game?"

"this film is great"

"no, if you ever made a film, you'd know its ****"

"this steak is tasty"

"holy **** no, do you even KNOW how to cook???? clearly not"

"this jacket is comforta-"

"AAAASADSAFGFGSFDG"

oh, no we certainly did- in america harry is an anti-hero, ron is black, and hermione has huge boobs
jk
But honestly, who says "the baker's opposite"?

After watching the movies, I can totally tell that you're being sarcastic. But I never read the books.

There's a huge cultural difference between the US and the UK in terms of humor. I don't really "get" British humor. At all, really. I mean, Monty Python is funny, but beyond that...?

I find it funny how you're still implying that it's an objective fact that Tolkien is a terrible writer when it's clearly not. Also, you don't have to be a writer to form opinions on other people's writing. That, frankly, makes no sense. If I were to become a writer, I'm pretty sure my opinion of Tolkien wouldn't change. I don't care much for Mark Twain's writing style, but I wouldn't call him a bad writer by any stretch of the imagination.

------
on-topic:

Difference - I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the fact that the US uses USD {dollars}, while the UK uses GBP {pounds}.

I didn't mention that because that's different with all countries, except for European Union and their Euros. That's like saying the largest city in UK is London while the largest in the US is New York City.

I love it when people just dismiss the minority of a country like they don't exist.

Just because the majority do this/that/i dont care doesn't mean that you should label a whole country that.

How do you know that they don't or haven't already tried?
That's also like the "ok, you guys can have your opinion but I still win" response...

Yes, because being b!tched at online for, like, the last five pages simply for having an unpopular is clearly the definition winning -_-

I have no idea if anyone in this thread has tried their hand at writing, but no one else has mentioned having any experience writing or compared their own process to Tolkien's, so I'm assumed they didn't have experience or a process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back