The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, because being b!tched at online for, like, the last five pages simply for having an unpopular is clearly the definition winning -_-

I have no idea if anyone in this thread has tried their hand at writing, but no one else has mentioned having any experience writing or compared their own process to Tolkien's, so I'm assumed they didn't have experience or a process.

please just stop

by their logic most everyone's opinions are worthless

"this game is bad"

"yeah, well have YOU ever tried making a game?"

"this film is great"

"no, if you ever made a film, you'd know its ****"

"this steak is tasty"

"holy **** no, do you even KNOW how to cook???? clearly not"

"this jacket is comforta-"

"AAAASADSAFGFGSFDG"

Uh, no. I was trying to get you guys to see things from my point-of-view. You wanna know another to figure out if Tolkien is a bad writer: Stop simply worshipping him, read works by other authors in the genre, and compare the works based on the story flows or if it was overdetailed.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Me stop? You people are so immature. I'm being freaking ostracized just for having an opinion that you don't agree with. I tried to bring the argument to a close with my post last night, and you continue to attack me. I'm not saying that just because I'm writer I know more than you guys. I'm saying that I look at things from a different perspective because I'm a writer. Every book I read, I tear apart the story, so I can decide for myself whether or not I think it's well written. And, apparently, that response isn't good enough for you.

Uh, no. I was trying to get you guys to see things from my point-of-view. You wanna know another to figure out if Tolkien is a bad writer: Stop simply worshipping him, read works by other authors in the genre, and compare the works based on the story flows or if it was overdetailed.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Me stop? You people are so immature. I'm being freaking ostracized just for having an opinion that you don't agree with. I tried to bring the argument to a close with my post last night, and you continue to attack me. I'm not saying that just because I'm writer I know more than you guys. I'm saying that I look at things from a different perspective because I'm a writer. Every book I read, I tear apart the story, so I can decide for myself whether or not I think it's well written. And, apparently, that response isn't good enough for you.

you're the one who's being immature because you can't cope with people having different opinions. IT IS AN OPINION. seriously just deal with it, people like Tolkien, some don't. No one minds other's opinions, it's the fact you stormed in here declaring that Tolkein is just plain wrong and basically implied that people who like him can't possibly be writers, or have read any other fantasy books or experience. like come on. I don't even like tolkien either but I don't **** on people who do, or take a moral highground over it. now just stooooppp or this thread will get locked

On topic: I've noticed some political differences. Obviously the US has a presidential system whereas we have a prime minister. And from what i've seen the US has the 2 main parties, republican and democrat, that get almost all the votes. Whereas we still have 2 'main' parties (labour and conservative) but a decent proportion of votes goes to smaller parties as well, like Greens and UKIP.
Also, the US's conservative party seem to (in general) be a lot more right-wing than ours

Your entire reasoning is based off of subjective opinions that you've somehow deluded yourself into thinking is indisputable fact, with a "better than everyone else" mindset as well.

You're not trying to bring anything to a close, you're just borderline attacking those that don't agree with you.

As for people being immature? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Get off the subject of Tolkien if all you're going to do is fight about it.

The next few posts have ignored this warning:

I will not tolerate any kind of fighting. It's okay to admit that the UK is better than the US or vice versa, but bragging is not cool. Any kind of arguments or fighting (such as fighting over the existence of God), and this thread will be done.

Well, this is the fate of this thread. I hate seeing fights ruin a good discussion like this.

UK authors cause arguments, US authors do not

Not entirely true. Mary Shelley is a UK author, and I don't see any arguments over her or her book. Mark Twain is a US author, and he written the most controversial book. Again, this is stereotyping, but I see what you're talking about.

Be careful of what you believe about a different group of people in regards to your own. Don't fall into the pit of stereotyping people based on the few (or no) experiences you've had with people from a certain region or background. There are many differences between the US and UK, but the important thing to remember is that people are people, no matter where they are from, what they look like, value, or like to do. We all have feelings and just want to live our life the way we see fit. Don't base your opinions on what you see society and media tell you, there is an individual story for all of us :)

And with that, this conversation is now over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back